BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Info on Baja shamanism, curanderos, el brujo?
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 09:20 AM

Capt. Mike - re: salvia divinorum... have a neighbor who grows it and munches leaves throughout the day. He gave me sprouts and I grew some and tried it as both smoke and tea. Extremely bitter - alum like. Was quite interesting in that it made me feel like a great big man. I mean, physically my body felt larger and more dense in areas where men are typically more muscular than women, like upper back and arms; it was difficult to get acustomed to moving in that new body. When I looked down seemed like I was maybe 8-9 feet tall. Gave me nice colors along with a lot of "doing" energy... I sawed off a large dead tree branch, humped soil and compost and dug big holes for new plantings (not, incidently, of the salvia divinorum). Sensation of being quite firmly connected/grounded in the earth with accentuated colors bouncing off the sunlight.

Got no particular insight. Reasonably short high when you don't slowly munch it. Haven't really wanted to do it again because of the decidedly masculine effect. Interestingly, my neighbor feels it helps him better understand the feminine psyche. ;)

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 09:24 AM

Randy - Ayahuasca (sp?) is a bit like being totally drunk and doing acid at the same time. The psychic/visionary part of the experience cannot be put into words... at least, not by me. :wow:

.....Oscar Wilde
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 10:20 AM

RandyMac. Yes I have been on that roaed and in that Area many times?The man who Worked at Rancho Sonrisa and helped build it was born and rasied in San Javier. I wiil get togather my thoughts and get back to you! I am in the middle of Birthing my goats and most of them are having Twins so It will be a couple of Days! Skeet/Loreto
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 01:03 PM

The first person to describe Ayahuasca to me me said one could speak to ones mother in Ohio from Peru without the use of a telephone. Indeed, when I first saw its description in a book of plants, it was described as telepathic.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 04:04 PM
Coca

There are many medicanal plants used by native peoples in the Americas. Years ago, when I lived for a year in Bolivia, and also during a previous trip to Bolivia in 1985, I drank mate de coca. Tasted really bad, but helped for numerous small ailments. We had a small dog, and gave it mate de coca when it had a stomach problem. Cured the dog quite rapidly.
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 04:17 PM

Betcha your dog was capable of doing multiple backflips after receiving the invigorating brew. :lol:

Question. Where does one put there avatar picture so it shows up. Do you have to have a photo account. I used My Yahoo photos and the URL would not work properly.

Any suggestions of where I can put a small 6k jpeg file so I can use avatars? Much appreciated.

RandyMac
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 04:30 PM
Randy Mac

I have a break between Mother goats!!

Jose Rodrigo Romero Agular who lives in Loreto at Pino Suares # 52 e/Padre Kino
Col Jaral, Loreto
Tele; 011-52-613-50732
This man was born and and grew up on the Small Ranch bery near to "Ranco Viejo" on the road from Loreto. He attended to his Family goats and Wondered and Walkde allover those Mountains. He knows of many places for ArrowHeads as well his is very knowledge to the plants and their uses.
He is not and educated Man but one of the best Men I have ever known!!

He is somewhat difficult to understand as he still speaks "Mountain Dialect" but if you would like any infomation from the "True Source" contact him and tell him that "Mosco Spoke for Him"
All I ask is that you treat him Like a Man!

He has many Mouths to Feed!
Skeet/Loreto
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikon
The first person to describe Ayahuasca to me me said one could speak to ones mother in Ohio from Peru without the use of a telephone. Indeed, when I first saw its description in a book of plants, it was described as telepathic.

Yes, really raises whatever telepathic abilities one has. I experienced it as part of an apprenticeship, for lack of a better word, in heightening one's intuitive and telepathic sense. One day I hope to continue that form of study and learn more about working with these powerful plant agents.

J.R. - do you have a picture of the yerba de manso you have seen (said it was different than photo posted on this thread)? I'm told it also grows way up here (find that hard to believe).

.....Oscar Wilde
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 10:13 PM
Nomados Muy Locos

Skeet, to send someone to someone else for knowledge and advice and then say they are uneducated seems very religious like to me. Who is really unedeekated here? If I were you, I'd lay off that doo. Do! You are way more intelligent than that.
Natalie, I have pictures at home but not here. I am going back up there (to the mountains) and will take more. It has continued to be a very mysterious plant in spite of local knowledge and advice from here. That is a different story though. The quest continues as I am even more interested now. And then there's these other plants that ???????????:lol:
And for the rest of yall, these drugs yer discussin here have been or about to be declared by the FDA, and those that promote alcoholism, to be harmful to your health and highly illegal. If you want proof of the destruction they cause, watch "Reefer Madness".
I hear the Poza Grande Holiday Inn is having a special showing in the next few weeks. I'll keep you uninformed.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:39 AM

JR. I was trying to prepare for a meeting with someone who has been very close.
I was trying to give a description that maybe, just maybe would allow some one Who might not have knowlege on how to treat People of that Culture.
I would venture to say that he is much more of a Man than many on this Board!!
Maybe on your next Trip to San Javier you should ask Francesca the Story about the People who brought "Cancer Causing Pills" from the States and tried to pass them out Free to the women of San Javier Listen to Them!!!Skeet/Loreto

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 09:12 AM
Canser causing pills?

Skeet, please let me know about this one. Reminds me of some indians that used to live in Norte America. Please fill me in.
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 09:28 AM

Plants of Power BBC Series.

As the well known Dr. Andrew Weil said, "Western society all to often abuses, instead of uses mother natures plant substances for learning and knowledge to heal. I learned a considerable amount from the following online radio program available for free online.

BBC Series: Plants of Power.

The BBC series can be found online and the experts discuss how different cultures throughout history have used mind altering plants for intoxication.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sci_tech/features/health/m...

There is a little audio symbol in front of each of the following subjects and it's a fascinating series.

Plants of Power: how do they work?
Plants of Power: how is the brain affected?
Plants of Power: when is a plant a drug?
Plants of Power in nomadic societies.
Plants of Power in traditional American communities.

RandyMac

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 05:47 PM
Re: Respect for other people and their cultural

Skeet, jrbaja.

I've experienced first hand how some people can be so disrespectful to the local people and their cultural. My parents taught me alot, some I forgot, some I didn't follow enough, but I never forgot what they taught me about respect for other people and their cultural differences and walk in life.

A Little story for you.

WOUND TOO TIGHT: The Mural and the Polisher

Some people thought Polishing Pedro Chavez wasn't educated, knowledgeable or trustworthy enough to give him the time of day. I ignored what they said. I was always all ears when my new friend Pedro came by to visit and do his thing at my camp. He helped make my stay in Mexico enjoyable.

He taught me alot of some things I had forgotten in life, especially after my being all wound up and too tight from my years in the software industry. He taught me how to visualize and make dreams happen in art, and work with my hands in different ways.

A few weeks earlier I had stopped working on a mural for a local expat from Texas who stayed a few palapas down the way. High Heidi was just too much to take, and she treated the locals with such disrespect. I had agreed to paint a mural for her at no charge on her palapa wall, but I didn't realize what I was getting into before I really got to know her.

She lacked respect for the locals and she even disrespected me. So I stopped mid-mural, and walked away for it. I had never stopped any artwork that I had started before. But then again, I hadn't painted in 17 years, and nor had I painted for free for such a person. Design of graphic art tools (software) on computers became my thing for 16 years before heading to Mexico. The mural was my ticket back into self expression. High Heidi proved to be too much. It was discouraging, but she didn't deserve my time or the mural.

Polishing Pedro always said to me...don't make assumptions about people. Let them express themselves. See beyond what other people see and do and look to what you believe in, and you can make anything materialize. Those who live with anger lose everything eventually.

One day I was sitting with my friend Polishing Pedro, having a cold drink after he was finished doing his thing. I enjoyed to relax and chat with him about his day and many other things. I knew a little spanish and he knew a little english, but we could always communicate. On this occassion Pedro had dropped by the beach camp after searching for new customers up and down the corridor. As usual for his routime, he would wash and wax my little black 4x4, before heading home to his family. I would usually give him a ride to the collectivo or home.

Car, truck and motorhome detailing was his craft, and what he did to support a large family. He had done this for over 30 years. He wanted to hire some help, someone who knew english a little better than he, but said he couldn't afford it. Some days he would be happy, and others a little sad. Some days he would describe how people would be real rude and shoe him away from their camps in anger, (mexican and gringos) without even so much as letting him communicate the why's and how's of his craft, but he didn't let it discourage him too much. Each time I would hear of the communication barrier that my friend was experiencing, I would get an idea and visualize how pictures and common symbols could help change this situation for my friend. Design of software for international markets and different cultures taught me a few things, and I thought I could use it to help my friend.

I always tried to help Polishing Pedro do the finishing touches on my once dirty 4x4, but he would never let me polish with him. I could help wash, but I could never help him do the finishing artwork, as he would call it. He said I should sit and enjoy the beauty as it materializes. He said I shoud try to visualize the possibilities of objects around me and dream of what they can truly become, if only I believe.

Polishing Pedro was an artistic genious at work. I spent most of my time out of the camp taking my 4x4 all over to explore, but it always looked good a day or two after I came back from a mountain trip. It seemed to drive so much better after my friend came by to do his magic, and share some stories over a cold drink, before heading home to his family.

One day, my 72 year young friend Kenny Coleman (PranaMan) came by in his 1988 gray Ford Taurus. We were supposed to go into town in my Little Blacky, but Pedro wasn't finished with it yet. Pedro motioned for me to go ahead and keep my promise with Kenny. Pedro said he had a big rig to do his thing on, and would see me in a few days.

On the way into town, Kenny commented to me why he didn't let Pedro do his thing on what Kenny described as his, "ugly 4 door gray Taurus heap of crap. "It wasn't worth trying to clean and wax," Kenny said. It wasn't because he didn't want to pay the price for it like some other people in the camp thought.

I said to Kenny, "Where you see crap, I can see a yellow Mercedes Benz 500SL convertible Kenny. The car you always dreamed of owning and driving into town is in here, in this Taurus. I can see it." Kenny laughed and said, "What were you and Pedro smoking earlier today?" I continued describing how the yellow would look, and Kenny finally said, "You really see a beautiful convertible in this piece of garbage, don't you?"

On the way back from town, Kenny agreed to let me proceed with my vision. Within 3 hours we had the roof cut off his beasty old car. I video taped the whole event in action. Just like keystone cops on fast forward. What a laugh. A few camp neighbors came by and told Kenny he was crazy to let me talk him into such a stupid thing. High Heidi even came by to tell Kenny I would never finish it, and that I would only $&*% it up, and how he wouldn't have a car to drive. Kenny replied, "It's a beater, so what? RandyMac says he see's something much different than what you and I see, so I believe in what he sees." An older fellow walked away shaking his head and said, "he's gonna make a mess of it." High Heidi laughed and walked away. Over the next few days she made it a point to tell everyone how fooolish Kenny was for trusting me. I paid attention to my craft. Kenny helped.

Within 3 days we watched the old Taurus being further transformed as it was being painted by a shade tree mechanic slash auto repair, slash painter in town. On the 5th day we put the 20 dollar Mercedes logos on the front and back hoods that we picked up at the dealership in the larger city to the north. On the 6th day Kenny and I riveted a cover on the back where the window used to be, and covered the sharp edges on the top of the front windowshield. It was taking shape day by day.

On the 7th day, Kenny used my port-a-vac inside his car, while I painted the stickman mural on each side quarter panel of his new car. As I put the finishing touches on the Born to Be Wild stickman font in spanish and english, Kenny would walk around to admire his new convertible. It was as if everyone felt his exerience. One by one, the naysayers came out of their trailers and camps to see Kenny jump behind the wheel of this bright yellow car with the 'Born to Be Wild' murals painted on the sides. It was great to see Kenny, smiling from ear to ear with four of his lady friends from camp driving around before heading off to town for the afternoon. Three sat up on the back as they left, waving back at me as if they were in a parade. As they passed by High Heidi on the road out of camp they all laughed. They had all had enough of her act. Kenny would never stop and let her in.

I sat down and relaxed in the joy of finishing what I started for my deserving friend. The cold beer was good. Pedro taught me alot about art.

Polishing Pedro took the same care in polishing the new car in camp over the next few months, and would never let Kenny help him with the finishing touches. He let Kenny wash, but never polish. Pedro laughed at the mural and said it looked so much like Kenny. We shared cold drinks together and swapped stories. Kenny would alternate and drive Pedro to the collectivo or home to town. What a trip to Mexico.

Before I left to head north, I handed my wonderful friend Polishing Pedro 2 plastic coated brochures and some paper brochures and thanked him for his friendship and kindness. Inside was months of documentation and presentation of a genious at his craft in plain spanish and english. Photos, icons, with spanish and english subtext in a full color format that I thought would help him describe the why's and how's of his wash and polishing craft so that potential new customers would understand what he was trying to communicate. Polishing Pedro always said that the often meddlesome salt air of paradise transforms the manifest into dust if left unchecked. I agreed. It was good that I brought my portable laptop and printer with me to Mexico.

I received an email from a friend a few months after arriving back in Canada. He told me how my friend Polishing Pedro gained many more customers and how he hired 3 new employees to help him learn his carft. The brochures and plastic covered presentation piece was helping him communicate the benefits of washing and waxing. A $60,000 motorhome is worth protecting don't you think. He said to me, "Polishing Pedro says hello. Wash and wax Blacky, it'll drive better." I laughed and smiled. My friend Pedro.

My friend Kenny died within a year from an unfortunate hiking accident. Two weeks before this, he gave that once gray, but now bright yellow convertible to one of our friends to enjoy and polish to a glittering sheen before driving it into town. Polsihing Pedro enjoys amerillo.

----

I try my best not to make assumptions, and try my best to see what other people are truly trying to communicate. Especially on the threads and Internet. I never thought I could transform that car until I learned to believe in what I visualized again. Sometimes I quest for natures assistance to help me visualize things that are a little beyond my grasp. Polishing Pedro taught me alot about things in Mexico and the world that I didn't understand. He knew alot about plants and people. What a genious.

RandyMac :spingrin:

Photos of friend Polishing Pedro Chavez and Kenny's Coleman's new convertible Mercedes

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 06:20 PM
Re: Telepathic abilities in humans..

I agree. We can probably learn more about our forgotten abiilities from plants, than what we can from some people who choose to dismiss the obvious. There must be a reason for that other 85% of brain matter in the above cavity that the experts say we don't use.

I enjoy your expressions of plant experiences. I don't get into any direct details on threads about my plant experiences. I'm still a little wound too tight to express such experiences. But perhaps you can probably see what I learned while thinking about Kenny's car a few days before we cut the roof off. Kenny enjoyed talking to plants.

I miss my friend and the hours of laughter after a few puffs here and there. Maybe I will meet him again on day.

RandyMac

:biggrin:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:14 PM
Yerba Mansa

JR,
When you get back to Rosarito wander down to La Salina and over the bank toward the ocean in front of my old house at 8C and you will find the plant in abundance. It spreads over the dunes and the Mexicans have harvested it and used it as a tea long before the Padres wandered into La Mision. I have been told that it is used for any number of things. Just wander over on the other side of the toll road and ask for Gus or just stop by the Cantina at about 11am during the week and you should run into him because he drops by for a coke then. He owns all of the land from the ocean to the bottom of the mesa and he showed me the plants a bunch of years ago and suggested that I use it for my heart problem. For ulcers and a bunch of other stuff. My father-in-laws fifth wife was a Mexican witch and practiced herbal cures for years. She's dead now but there are a lot of people up in the hills around Tecate that she used to visit to get most of her herbs. Most of this stuff is right in your backyard.
No, I never used the stuff for my heart--stuck with my doctors advise but did use it as a tea for upset stomach.
A wonderful thread and just in time.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:38 PM
Thanks Bernie

Did it work for your upset stomach ?
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:40 PM

Finally a great thread. It always comes along when a genuine person happens along and has something to bring to the tablem Hmmmm.

All that aside. This one is for JR.
Dear JR, I will gladly bring you down some round-up ASAP so as these LOCALS don't become sick from eating all those weeds. :O Then we can take whatever money they do have and buy proper medicine for them. All to be dispensed at the poza grand holiday inn.

One more word. Jamica.:saint:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:44 PM

Fantastic Story Randy:
i feel sure that if possible you should spend some time with Rodrigo!!!
I answered your post not knowing what type of a persson your are,after the Post I now know!!
Rodrigo!!
He stands tall and Straight, Born of the Mountians near San Javier. He was the youngest son so he was the "goat Hearder" until he was 30 years old with a new wife when his father sold out the Ranch to a present day Jefe of Loreto. His Father refused to give him any proceeds from the Sale.
He moved into Loreto and joined the "Villianty""Night watch" Union .
He started to work for me when my Wife and I decided to built Rancho Sonrisa Mexicano Style .We would go into the Arroyos and shovel Sand together, to a canyon North to Quarry Rocks,to the Mountains to obtain Bullskins to make Rawhide.
He became a good friend!
On one accasion he was hired to work at Ligui,about 13 miles south of his Home.I found later that he Had to walk the 13 miles Home many times. I was bringing him boots from the States and he was wearing them out faster than Normal.
He would take me into the Mounatins and explain everything we saw that I took an interest to.Plants,rocks, as he had lived as a Goat for so many years.
He is a Man!!
Jr. took exception to my use of the word uneducated, I did that to put you on notice that in case you might not be a "Good Guy" and just be looking to make some money off of the Mexicanos,He has never had any kind of Book Learning would have been better to say after 2 thought.But he knows more about Life than most or at least some of the Posters on this board who hold a PHD!!!!

For some time one of the years he and I were working, he would tell me he had to take off early.I found that he was spending his hard earned money on a Bus to go to Cuidad Constution{About 80 miles} where he would attend a very small Christain Church. When I spoke to him,he was shy about it until I told him that I was a christain{A backslider at the time}. After that he would wear his"Jesus Saves " Cap to Work
He has rasied a family, built a house{As I would pay him},sent a son to Licscenato School in Montrey and is still working a 3 different Americano Homes as well as Night Watchman at a Hotel.
So if by chance you do meet him I wish that you will learn as I have from Him. His heart is Large,His Mind is Clear, his Humor abounds,and He will not Call you a Gringo, he will address you as an Americano!
He does not Drink!Nor smoke Dope! and does not allow his family to do Either.
Good Luck on your quest and please let us know about your Baja Travels
Skeet/Loreto
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:45 PM
Well,

It was a good thread. The thing about Nomads is, some stranger always chimes in that isn't willing to use their own handle. Mike ? JZ ? :lol:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:54 PM

J.R. NO!!! I will not tell you the Story. You will have to get it Direct from Francesca!
The story if told on the various Boards will cause you to unload on the Americanos Again, and I am not in the Mood for it during the Birthing of all my new goats!
If you are able to get her to tell you the Story I would suggest you do some double checking around that little community to make double sure that what you heard is True, if you come back the next time with the information I will tell you "the Rest of the Story"
Skeet/Loreto
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.