Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yerba de Manza
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 08:52 AM
Yerba de Manza

Thought i would post this here in answer to a question JR asked about yerba de manza.
Yes i have heard of it. Mexray is right. That is one common name for Anemopsis californica. The Opata call it guagat, the Pima vavishthe, the Yaqui babis and the Seri comaanal. In Spanish yerba del manso, yerba mansa, bavis and bavisa. In English it is known as lizard tail or manso grass. Grows near or in water. Reproduces mostly asexually through stolons. It received it's scientific name due to a supposed resemblance between it's flowers and a sea anenome.
Kay in Healing with Plants, states she has more data entries for this species than any other species in the American and Mexican West. She also notes the use of this herb by the Chumash, Shoshone and Paiute amongst others outside of her study area.
It is widely used to treat infected sores, colds and women's health problems. It is analgesic, antiseptic, fungicidal and sedative. No wonder it is so popular.
The roots are most often used. The Pima and Tohono O'odham used it internally to and as a tea for treating colds, coughs and syphilis. The Yaqui used the boiled root to make an infusion with which to wash infected sores. My ex mother-in law, whose fater was full blooded Yaqui, was able to cure a horrible foot sore with such an infusion, after having let modern medicine and the IMSS just let it rot with their useless antibiotics. It is perfect today!
Analysis of the chemical properties of this plant confirm that the root is a storehouse of chemicals with the befoementioned medicinal properties. There are so many use for this herb I could bore you for pages. So I will stop.
Just let me reiiterate, Margarita Artscwager Kay in Healing with Plants in the American and Mexican West has created a scholarly, informative and fascinating compilation of non-trad medicinal thought. A must book for the botanical section of your library.

Sidenote, my father is coming home today after 6 months of being mostly in and sometimes out of hospitals being "treated" for a "treatable" Staph infection. They could not stop it and it is still spreading.
He is dying, will not walk again and is in constant pain. He is coming home where we will manage the pain, morphine, another herb, eh, and try to balance out the last months into a celebration and a recognition of life's cycle.
I am working with friends who think outside of the cost driven Western Medical box, yet who were licensed and educated within that system. We hope to restore his appetite and his awareness. Any suggestions on what herb might restore his appetite? LOL!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 09:00 AM
Yerba de Manso

Thanks Don Jorge. Most informative. I don't have my pictures with me but the leaves in your picture look somewhat different than the plants I have seen. Are there sub-species? Or different varieties?
The locals say that there is no better cleanser for the circulatory system than this plant as well as the many other uses you have mentioned.
As far as your Dad getting his appetite back, just follow my van to the Reggae festival and the minute he gets out of the car, he will probably want to order some jerked chicken.:bounce:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 09:31 AM

Don Jorge - Indica for pain, energy; sativa for relaxation, sleep; both seem to do wonders for appetite :). My prayers are with you, your family and friends during this time of transition.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 10:25 AM
Don Jorge

May God Bless your Father and your Family. My prayers Are for all of You and your family!
Skeet
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 02:12 PM

Geez, it must be too wet to work so I am cackling today!
JR: When plants of the same species grow under different physiological conditions, moisture, light, nutrient availablity, etc. many things can be different, such as leaf size and color. i do not know of any subspecies of this plant, although that does not imply there aren't any.
How much fun would it be to wander the Ranchos of Baja and collect information about their way of life before it isn't their way of life, forever less. Wait, you are doing that!

Nat Anne and Skeet and to everyone who in previous posts conveyed their prayers and sympathies. Thanks for your kind words and prayers!
God has indeed blessed my father and family. We are Americans. All 7 of his children are alive and healthy, contributing members of society.
Our children, his grandchildren are alive and healthy. He has done a good job while living through traumatic times. Depression and war were his childhood, unimaganable to me and unexplainable to his grandchildren. He is coming home and another of life's lesson he will pass onto us.
Once again, thanks to everyone, and I hope to see you all at the booksigning!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 09:39 PM
Don Jorge

You are a class act. Thank you for the post that I have printed and will keep with my Baja Pland and Field Guide to watch for.

I know your days immediately ahead will be family based and even though parts will be sad it's all what grows a family. Good luck, much strength, and the Humfreville's will be thinking of you and yours.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 11:11 PM

JR, Norm Roberts' field guide to Baja plants gives Yerba Manza as Anemopsis californica, mentions a lot of medicinal uses. This book has great photos and would probably be useful to you, if you don't already have a copy.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.