BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Rig Modifications - Nearing completion!
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 08:34 AM
Baja Rig Modifications - Nearing completion!

Well,

I just returned from 5 days at my parent's farm in Missouri. As I have posted before, we are prepping our new FJ 60 for a 6 week adventure to Baja. Monday was the first time that I have seen the truck in person after buying it from a guy in Arizona in Feburary. Well, I would have to say that I am thrilled with the truck! It is awesome! The list of previous modifications is extensive including, BDS suspension, ARB bumper with Warn Winch, Kaymar Rear Tire Carrier, Mean Green Alternator, and the list goes on and on...

Well, we decided that there were a few areas that needed some attention. This weekend we added: 1) Front ARB and compressor with tire inflation kit, 2) Dash Grab Bar, 3) ARB Fridge with Engle Load Lock, 4) Power Tank, 5) Dual Batteries including Stainless Battery trays, two yellow-top Optimas, 200A Battery Seperator and custom battery cables, and 6) light tan Tuffy consol! We also drove the truck about 250 miles. It is going to be perfect for the trip! The last thing that we did before leaving was add the ARB roof rack. We will need to add the roof top tent, the magellan GPS, a three jerry can holder for the Kaymar rear bumper and a couple other odds and ends and then we will be ready to head to Baja!

We also prepped the 12' Zodiac that we bought for our trip. Man with a 25 hp outboard, that thing really boogies! It is going to be a blast!

Any other recommendations?

Have a great day,
Dan

And, here if the full album!

http://imageevent.com/rockinjwranch/danstriptomo?n=0
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 09:20 AM

How about an ARB air locker for the rear and a High Lift jack? Oh Yeah, don't forget the shovel.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 09:20 AM

Oh yeah, nice looking rig by the way.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 09:48 AM

For off roading and keeping track of all that stuff in Baja, how about a Garmin GPS with Mapsource and LB's Baja topo and road maps - not available for Magellan but great for Garmin or Lowrence units.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:11 AM

You went that far, you might as well put a snorkel on it..Never know!
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:16 AM

I have a high lift jack that will be stowed inside with my other recovery gear - shovel included. I will also be carrying my More Power Puller - an awesome hand operated cable winch - it has provided me years of valuable service. And, last but not least, I will have my Pull-Pal, portable anchor in tote.

I have already purchased a Magellan Explorist 500XL with the Mexico Topo Maps. I have been searching for a Baja Almanac, but have struck out thus far. According to the publisher, our June departure is likely to be ahead of the release of the new edition:?:

I have an ARB in the front differential, and the rear was already equipt with a PowerTrax automatic locking diff. Other than some bad road manners, the pair will provide adequate traction assistance!

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming,

Dan
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:31 AM

My co-pilot thinks that snorkels are UGLY . In fact, my lovely wife feels so strongly about it that the addition of a snorkel would no doubt impact my happiness on the trip. And, because my true desire is for us to have a terrific trip together, I think that I will leave the snorkel for someone else's rig!

Dan
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 10:42 AM

dshock.....Wow!! Nice rig.....It goes without saying....A good tool box and 4 new Blistien shocks. Have a great one!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 02:02 PM
Two suggestions

First, and a great add for under $50 - a Safety Seal tire repair kit. There are cheap imitations but stick with the original Safety Seal name brand.

You may find the ARB tire inflator will try your patience.

Viair 400 series is a drastic improvement, though not inexpensive.

John M
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 02:14 PM

High lift jacks can slip and deal pain in all directions.:(
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 06:31 PM

My primary air source is the Power Tank CO2 tire inflation system. It holds 10 lbs of CO2 and will run air tools and air up tires in a hurry! I decided to go with the ARB compressor for the locker because I am very impressed with their setup - the wiring harness, etc (and, I am an ARB dealer). Then I added the tire inflation kit to the ARB as a backup.

I also have a the all new ARB tire repair kit. It is a great kit in a neat package with all you need to quickly repair tires on the go (http://arbusa.com/New_Products/speedy_seal.pdf?PHPSESSID=fe3...). I am pretty sure that it is made by Speedy Seal.

I have been using HiLift Jacks for years. They are a great versatile tool. However, I completely agree with Cypress, their use requires extreme caution and a large dose of common sense. I once had a jack that nearly took my head off. It turned out that the latch mechanism was in need of repair.

Thanks for all the great input,
Dan

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 06:48 PM

What kind of car-top tent are you putting up on the rack? I'd like to see a picture of it with it on.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 06:54 PM

And where does the Zodiak and motor go ??
Looks to be a tight fit.

dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 07:04 PM

Great questions! The tent is an ARB unit that is being shipped in from OZ for the trip! It is actually made by one of the other South African tent makers for ARB. It is comparable to the Hannible or Eezi-Awn. The roof rack is also an ARB. Maybe a theme is emerging? As soon as it is installed, I will post pictures and details! I think that ARB decided to ship in a container of their touring gear, so they may be available shortly in the states.

The motor and Zodiac will hopefully got on the front of the roof rack. There is a spot 48" x 48" that will be perfect. Perfect if I can lift the engine to the roof by myself. We will see. The boat isn't bad.

Thanks,
Dan

[Edited on 4-2-2007 by dshock]
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 07:14 PM

Packoderm,

FYI, http://www.arb.com.au/arb-roof-top-tents.php

Dan
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 07:24 PM

Clean rig for sure. I always liked the FJ. Seems like a safari needs to happen when you see one.
My input agrees with Cypress, the only time I have ever used a Hi-lift, it scared the heck out of me. I have a small modified floor jack on skids so you can push it under the rig in the dirt. Its rated at 2 tons and cost 20 bucks at Kragen and a little fab and weld time.
With all the weight you're putting on the roof be sure all the gear is very securly tied down inside, especially that hi-lift. If you were to get on your lid, God forbid, you wouldn't want to make it through the ride only to get killed by your gear. I'm super anal about that driving in Mex. Even a mild fender bender or run off the pavement into a ditch could bring cargo forward uninvited.
Have fun, good skill to ya and write a trip report when you get home. :yes:
And hey, if anyone just has to have one of those hi-lifts, I got one for sale, cheap, its in a cover bag and almost new. I'm in SD, U2U me and you can stop and pick it up on your next trip south. I'm freeway close!

I've used a power tank for years and it is worth every penny. 33 x 12.5s aired up from 15 to 35 psi in 45 seconds. I've gotten 6+ air ups all the way around on the little 10 pounder and it still had a little left in it when I re-filled. :bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 4-2-2007 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 09:40 PM

nice clean work . you did it the right way

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 07:47 AM

D shock rig something to carry the motor on your reciever hitch, hate to think of that thing getting loose,, good luck,
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 07:55 AM

Jimgrms,

That is a great idea. I have already ordered a custom made three jerry can holder for the rear bumper. So with the spare tire on the bumper (and another one in the factory location), plus 15 gals of fuel, I wonder how she would handle if I put the motor back there as well. Might make the front pretty light.

My thought was to build a plywood pallet. Attach a couple 2-by ribs to a piece of plywood 4' long and then cut one of the ribs to the profile of the motor cowl and one to the lower unit. A couple rachet straps and it would be one solid unit. I could then wedge it between the bars of the roof rack and strap it to the rack. it wouldn't come loose, but getting it up there would be fun:o

Great idea - I will look into it.

Dan
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 10:25 AM

My two cents...based on the rig I put together for my drive down to Central America. Weight is weight no matter how important you think the object is.

I took the porta-potti out of the tiny closet in the rear of the camper van and stashed it under the redesigned bed system. I got the 14' Zodiac, oars, PFD's, Bimini, fuel tank, and 25 hp. Yamaha into that space with the motor hanging on a "transom". It never got dusty because there wasn't any ROOM for dust. Even with all the suspension mods recommended by Dick Cepek, the Ford E-150 was a waddling cow.

Because I had an overhead attachment point for a 2000 lb. mini block and tackle I could get the outboard in the van by myself (barely). Unless you are in the habit of pumping that much iron, I would not recommend trying to stash it five feet off the ground.

Don't get me wrong...take the boat! I think you could lose 10 gallons of the extra gas.

Buen fortuna!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.