Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Lost Mission Santa Ysabel
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 08:35 AM
Lost Mission Santa Ysabel

In Earl Stanley Gardner's book Hovering Over Baja, near the end he shows a picture and talks about the lost mission Santa Ysabel. The ruins in the picture are somewhere between LA Bay and Catavina. Has anyone been there? Or dodes anyone know of the exact location shown in the picture? Has it been linked to the missions?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 07:28 PM

Uncle Erle was a great mystery novelist. The Santa Ysabel mission legend was well known in the 1950's and 60's when Erle did most of his Baja exploring. Everyone was looking for something out of place, man made, etc. That adobe building in Hovering Over Baja was in fact an old pre-automobile age rancho, not a Spanish ruin, I was told.

So, where is it? The book gives a few clues from the DC-3. But, where is the DC-3, you ask? :)

The DC-3 plane wreck that the chapter starts out talking about is on Cerro la Gobernadora (just northeast of El Crucero). GPS at the wreck is: 29º17.33'/ 114º06.57'
Thanks to Amigo-Nomad BillB, who climbed the peak and to the wreck and sent me the GPS and photos...

Erle writes he spotted a trail near the wreck and they followed it for several miles until the adobe was discovered. That region is the headwaters of Arroyo Salsipuedes and La Asamblea. The new Rancho San Luis (29º16.72'/ 114º02.80') is back in there, behind a locked gate on a road that leaves Hwy. 1 where the old L.A. Bay road junction is, about 8 miles north of the new L.A. Bay hwy. junction.

Just to see the old grave tombs Erle mentions is worth an investigation! They sound like the tombs at Rancho Santa Ana, southwest of San Borja. Bajataco has a great photo of those in his web site.

Choral Pepper searched for Santa Isabel near Puertecitos where the 1757 Jesuit map lists a waterhole (aguaje) of Santa Isabel. The lost Santa Clara mission, near Punta Abreojos (listed as San Juan Bautista in 1757) is a better candidate for a lost mission. The ruins discovered in 1966, I have been trying to re-find, is listed as Santa Maria Magdalena on that map, south of L.A. Bay.

Isn't Baja great!!!!

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by David K]

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 07:56 PM

David thanks. Also I just received some satellite maps from Discover Baja and the one for Gonzaga Bay shows the Santa Maria wash going back toward Mission Santa maria. Have you seen the satellite map on this? I emailed the publisher to find out when the satellite photo was made. Also looks like the road and wash from Papa Fernandez to Las Palmitas wash comes very close to the road from Santa Ines to Santa Maria. I think it's worth a site seeing trip at both ends.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2004 at 10:00 PM

Last night I got a call from Baja Bob, thanks to Marvin Patchen. Bob wanted the details on the El Camino Real from Santa Maria to Gonzaga. Bob and Norm Christie backpacked into the mission and down the canyon 8 years ago. That story is in a Baja Life Magazine article and on the Internet (link in my web site's Links to Great Baja Web Sites section). I sent Bob my web site from last November and Don Jorge's of the El Camino Real.

Anyway, Bob told me he and Ralph are going to hike the ECR... and he did tell me a well defined, wide trail can be seen when you are at the summit 10 mi. from Santa Ynez (where you can see Punta Final), heading off towards Gonzaga...

Perhaps this is the cargo trail or a later version of the cargo trail the Franciscans/ Dominicans used for San Fernando (after Santa Maria was closed).

Baja Bucko (on muleback) accesed the cargo trail further down, closer to the widowmaker grade from what I gathered. Maybe that was the first cargo trail, before Santa Maria was closed?

In either case, Arroyo las Palmitas and Arroyo San Luis Alfredo drainages are likely the route of the cargo trail that Junipero Serra had constructed to Bahia San Luis Gonzaga where the ships off loaded supplies. See my photo of the mission warehouse ruins on the shore of the bay, http://davidksbaja.com/1102/page4.html

I saw the satellite photos, at Discover Baja, yes... They are incredible! I think I need to buy a couple this Friday when go to see Graham's new slide show.

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 09:43 AM
Lost Missions

David. You and I have discussed the myth of lost missions for quite a while. They simply did not exist. Choral based her claim on the 1757 Venegas Map, that was produced for propaganda purposes, to get more money from the Spanish government to support the Baja California missions. There are no lost missions with hidden treasures, or lost missions.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 09:44 AM
Dolores del Norte

I will remind you about the claim that a Dolores del Norte mission existed, a claim that I have debunked in one of my papers on-line at Tim's web site.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 08:47 PM
Lost Missions and other american passtimes.

You guys crack me up. All of your research seems to come from prior american tourists looking into other american knowledge regarding places in a foreign country. Which also happens to have a lot of local and federal knowledge regarding exact same subjects. It is their history after all.
And on top of that, despite the lack of speaking Spanish and not consulting the folks that actually know and have already done the research, you claim to be experts. hahahahahahahaha
Try going to the La Paz Museo or any of this countries resources for accurate info..
They were interested long before american tourists became involved.
The one magazine I showed David when they brought donations down, he discovered maps and locations of the imaginery missions. Seems as if he isn't the only one interested. And not only that, if you are a Mexican , you can go right to the sites. Go figger!
Next time I am asking for directions to the Washington monument, I think I will ask someone in Cambodia.:lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 12:22 AM

Don't know why you have to assume an interset in finding lost missions has anything to do with treasure hunting? Looking for lost missions is just an activity... something fun to do to get outside, and it is based on historic interest. THERE IS NO GOLD TREASURES at mission sites!

The ruins that Choral, Erle and company DID find in Feb. 1966 were south of L.A. Bay and north of Santa Gertrudis (called Dolores del Norte on the 1757 map)... right where the Venegas map listed a mission "Santa Maria Magdalena" as "Started". For lack of a better name for the site they found, Choral applied that one.
About Dolores del Norte: Yes, we know that you did great research and learned that Santa Gertrudis was going to be called Dolores del Norte, at first. I have said that in my mission web site, with links to your papers.

Some maps list a Dolores del Norte south of El Arco, near or at the visita of San Pablo... as some early historians mistook San Pablo for a mission (it looks just like Santa Maria) and even INAH calls San Pablo, Dorores del Norte!

Fact: The villagers of San Francisco de la Sierra identified the old walls there to Choral (in 1964), as the remains of Mision Dolores. That is what they believed as handed down from previous generations. Now, it may be true that San Francisco was an early site for Dolores. That, because to limited water, the site was moved north to Santa Gertrudis... But, the villagers called the walls 'Dolores', for what that's worth.. and as J.R. woukld say, it's their country!

I am interested in seeing all histoiric sites in Baja. The fun is the searching for something that IS out there (Choral's 'Santa Maria Magdalena') or that MIGHT BE out there (The Santa Clara's 'San Juan Bautista') or even those that PROBABLY ARE NOT out there ('Santa Isabel'). Whatever, but it is getting people interested in Baja history, Baja missions, and Baja exploring... and that is a GOOD THING Robert!

Viva Baja's Lost Missions!

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 03:30 PM
Lost Missions

David. You and I know that, but many missions sites in Baja and elsewhere have been ravaged by treasure hunters.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 09:35 PM
That is a fact

And not only that, I have seen two excavations back in the hills where caves were destroyed by treasure seekers. Which is why their locations shouldn't be revealed to the m asses.:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 09:37 PM
David

Was that famous author your uncle ?
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 03:15 AM
You Know........

I seldom if Ever get involved here anymore, but sometime I just can't help myself.

JR, are you so Hot for David that you have to Nit Pick every word on every post he makes? ie: is that Your Uncle? C'mon man....We ALL knew/know it isn't. Just a phrase or turn of words.

also you imply that "Treasure seekers" are responsible for damaging some caves. Can you validate this statement or are you just flaming and trolling as usual? Were there any arrests made? Eye witnesses? Newspaper articles? (like those will paint an accurate picture) Were these Treasure seekers Americans perchance?

Does the La Paz Museo have an online/internet presence? I would love to read/visit the site. Unfortunately La Paz is a little farther than my local library or this 19" monitor.

And if you'd like directions to the Washington monument you can ask pretty much anybody in that neighborhood and they can tell you. I'll even bet that you can get the answer in no less than 6 or 7 languages. We are an homogenous culture.

A.A., You bring quality arguments to these boards. I don't always agree with you. At least your staetments are valid and often times credible and valid. I'm sure you can appreciate Davids love for Baja and his willingness to share his information, albeit sometimes zealous.

TW, You have every right (in the U.S.A.) to ask any question you like. You might not get the answer you want, but you do have the right. Not like some Napoleanic countries. You won't dissapear or turn into a F.O.R.D. (Found On Road Dead) So you keep asking, keep prodding and look for the truth. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers or the Grinches on this board.

That's my Rant for the year.

Ignoranus (n.): A person who's both stupid and an axxhole.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 08:31 AM
Talk about nit picking

Bedman, I am truly as dumb as you imply and that was a serious question. I consider David a friend and had no idea whether they were related or not. Sorry to bring you out of the depths for a waste of time. Although you did get to throw in some very intelligent remarks against J.R. which seems to be quite popular amongst a select few on this board. Intelligence 101.
I did ask the locals that were with me who did the excavaions and they looked at me like I was stupid or something. How the heck would they know who did it. And especially, how the heck would I ?
The fact is it was done by someone and I would like to do everything possible to stop this from happening in the future including not posting their coordinates.
If you can't understand that, it doesn't come as a big surprise .
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 09:24 AM
Clarification

For what it is worth, La Paz has more than the "museo". The Museo Regional de Antropologia e Historia de Baja California Sur is a natural history museum and contains some excellent materials and also some historical inaccuracies based upon probably a cultural bias (which is understood). There is also the Biblioteca de Historia de las Californias which holds a bibliographic collection of the history of the Californias important to researchers and historians. There is La Agora de La Paz, and also an office of La Ruta de las Misiones just up from Marina de La Paz. One source of information is generally inadequate and these resources can help research greatly.

Also, I know for a fact that "AA" speaks and understands Spanish fluently.

Many isolated sites of historical importance have been systematically looted due simply to their isolation. As INAH and other local entities increase their influence, one can see more and more protection provided to these important resources. Ignorance, or hiding of these sites will lead to more destruction: noone will know what is lost (or care). There are those who care to preserve this history (including the very influential California Mission Studies Ass'n...with participants on both sides of the border). If one wants to have more information, or wants to help, contact the CMSA on the web.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Jack Swords]
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 10:39 AM
Lost Missions, etc.

David, I see nothing wrong with looking for "lost missions," even though they don't exist. My concern always has been, and this is a concern that you also share, is the integrity of historic sites that have been ravaged by pot hunters, treasure hunters, etc. It is explicity stated on the Baja Missions web site. My only point is that when we discuss these topics, we need to add a disclaimer about not treasure hunting or pot hunting at fragile sites. One never knows when some newbie will pop in, get the wrong idea, and go off shovel in hand.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 10:55 AM
FWIW

dos centovios.......

Exploring is exploring.....David K. is a man on a mission......looking for a Mission ("it's lost Dad, don't they call it that for a reason, right").........I know for a FACT that nothing is taken except pictures and nothing is left but foot prints.......I think that mission does exist, and I hope to be along when he finally finds it.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 11:15 AM
Mission vs. Mission related building

Debra. It is very possible that there was a mission related structure in the area where David has been looking. Was there an endowed mission there? No. In the 1740s-1760s, the Jesuits in Mexico were under close scrutiny by the government, and wrote very detailed reports for the government on their mission operations. Venegas, who never set foot in Baja California, wrote one of several "official" Jesuit histories of the Peninsula missions, based on the reports and other documents sent to officials in Mexico City.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 11:45 AM

Understod Robert... I have posted in all CAPS: There is no gold treasure in mission sites, etc.

Like Bedman says, I take photos and leave footprints. I do what I do (write trip reports) because I have a need to promote Baja as a wonderful place for such explorations, a place where the entire family can see into the past together, that there is more to Baja than fishing, tequila drinking, and Cabo San Lucas. I am on a mission for God, perhaps? In doing this, the associated fallout is the Mexican people benefit from these new (good people) traveling Baja's back country. The Internet is just another format for information, like publishing books, but without the delay in time.

I do believe Baja is a special place... a very special place. I cannot explain why it drives me so strongly, but it is a religeous experience for me. I am doing what my heart tells me to, help more people have apossitive Baja travel experience. Why do all of you make the effort to write on this board unless you have a 'need' to share with others?

GPS is just the state of the art in giving directions... before we gave milages and compass headings. With GPS there is less chance of going the wrong way, making new trails, wasting gas, getting lost, etc.

I have never published a GPS of an unknown or previously unpublished site or one that was shared with me and asked to keep personal (only Neal Johns, Jack Swords, and Norm Christy have made such requests, and I have honored them). I was shown where Indian pottery is just scattered about the ground and have not published that location (you can drive right to it). The same goes for a place with arrowheads all over... Don't worry guys, what I do publish is enough to create interest in those like us and to respect Baja's wonders. You will get a lot more formerly secret or unpublished Baja sites from Walt Peterson's Baja Adventure Book... complain to him if that sort of thing bothers you.

JR... Sorry about the confussion, but since you have Gardner's book(s), have read my past posts, and maybe even looked at my Choral Pepper web page ( http://choralpepper.com ), I assumed everyone here knew Erle Stanley Gardner was affectionately known as 'Uncle Erle' to those that traveled with him. Choral Pepper always called him Uncle Erle. Remember you can email or u2u me if you have a personal question. If Gardner was my uncle, don't you think everyone would know that here? I was just so blessed to become friends with Choral Pepper (and the other Baja authors) and there's a reason for that, I am sure... (God?)...

[Edited on 1-31-2005 by David K]

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 12:11 PM
Uncle Earle

I spent a summer in Dallas at SMU participating in a NEH seminar. One of the other participants liked to tell stories about his Uncle Earl, such as the time he hooked a chain to one of the support poles of a circus tent, and drove off pulling it down.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 12:27 PM
Preservation of Mission Sites

One of the things that David has been able to show on the Baja Missions web site is the deterioration of the mission sites, particularly the adobe missions of La Frontera. I am attaching a 1975 photo of the second Rosario site. Compare it to the photo taken by Jack Swords, on the Baja Missions web site: http://www.davidksbaja.com/bajamissions/page10.html
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.