BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  9
Author: Subject: Does "Global Warming" affect Baja?
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 01:44 PM
Does "Global Warming" affect Baja?

Here's a little something for Al Gore Groupies to watch:

"The Great Global Warming Swindle" see it on GOOGLE

WOW!!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 03:18 PM

Quote:

Does "Global Warming" affect Baja?

on the pacific in BCN? not yet, anyways.....

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 03:29 PM

the powers that be are trying real hard to bury this one!!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
the powers that be are trying real hard to bury this one!!

I caught it. Yes, it is being chased off web sites by the people who presented it on TV. Copyright laws, lol.

And who started this whole thing? According to this film, Margaret Thacher, following strikes by coal miners, and part of her efforts to promote nuclear power.:lol:

I figure I need another college degree to sort this all out, although so many seem absolutely convinced (one way or the other) without raising too much sweat.

We do excel at manipulative filmaking, perhaps far beyond our hard science. I'm sure if this film gets traction we'll see a convincing response.

I'm concentrating on fishing. Only one yellowtail on the boat today, but two cabrilla. One fish kicked my butt. You guys work on this global warming thing for me; I'm trying to figure out if the bright moon reduces my catch.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 08:42 PM

not if you fish at night!!!

mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 09:25 PM

Global warming has been very hard on us this year in baja sur!
I have had to wear 2 sweaters, one pair of sweat pants from last nov until
March 14 first time in 16 years, I thought about refitting my home to burn wood in my kitchen, livingroom, bathrooms, patio, inside my truck, damn this global warming, I finally put out the stove under my wife's uncles best friends cousins great granmas boat motor shade. Damn cold this year in baja ! anyone wanna buy 50 used tank tops??
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 04:25 AM

OH MY GOD, THE SKY IS FALLING, IT MUST BE "GLOBAL COOLING"!!!

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 06:52 AM

And here in the Great Texas Panhandle it is Snowing!! 6 Inches expected for Sunday! Typical Amarillo Weather.

Global Warming-- P. T. Barnum said it All-- There is a "Fool" born ever Minute----

Skeet
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 07:20 AM

I'm not sure I understand the derision that is being focused on this debate. Are you guys disputing the science, saying it's flat out wrong? Are you disputing that humans are contributing to it? Are you disputing the proposed solutions that are being discussed?

From my perspective, I see a world wide issue being discussed in a rational and timely manner. I think that it's incredible to see that all these countries were able to sit in a room and agree with a position paper that is backed up with hard science. Regardless of the issue, this is a phenomenal undertaking!

In some respects, it's exactly what successful businesses do. They see a potential threat, they study and evaluate that threat, and they repond accordingly with research, innovation, entrepreneurship, labor and capital. New paradigms and products result, and all our pension funds grow accordingly.

Overall, I think this is a good thing that will bring about alot of change and innovation, and those 2 things are always good.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 07:41 AM

Sculpin, I think it's not so much deriding the issue as it is frustration over the ballyhoo -- so many talking heads using the issue for political/private advantage. Beyond that it is frustrating because there are so many levels of science at work. Just the aircraft emissions alone -- maybe close to 10,000 to 20,000 jet takeoffs per day in the U.S. alone gives the pollution hawkers plenty to scream about -- China's coal emissions, another. The frustration comes from knowing the U.S. will not give up one jet takeoff to solve any known problem ever and China will use all the coal until it's gone. Our lobbyists and their leaders will see to that. They haven't yet proven to me it's not a natural earth/sun/solar system cycle but, that said, that should not be a reason to further despoil the precious stuff that covers our planet.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 07:58 AM

Heh, its even snowing this morning in Fort Worth! Its been like living in a greenhouse for the last month here--just a few nights ago I slept on top of the bed--not even a sheet. Gonna be tough on the farmers who planted corn already. As for the topic, yep, people in power will use everything at their disposal to manipulate the populace...I'm opting out and just trying to look at hard science...
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 10:57 AM

Good Post Osprey.

Looking from the outside, it appears to me to be another thing to bring "Fear" to the Masses so that they can be Controlled by the "Govt".
The Internet, Radio, TV. news Media and even Commercials play on the Fear of People and teaching them to Depend on Their Govt. to protect them.

The Fool who spends $50,000 on an Automobile,equipted with devices they think will protect them joins the Millions who think that a Bugulary System will prevent a Bugulary.

Global Warming may someday be proven as Fact-At this point I do not see that it has been proven-. So everybody stops flying, Driving, eating Beef, drinking Milk, Are we to Stave ourselves just because other People beleive in Global Warming??? I don't think so.

Stop living in "Fear" and go on with your Lives. Be Happy, Work Hard,Smile, Love.

Skeet/Loreto
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 11:13 AM

Global Warming and Global Cooling happen... and man has no control over it, since it has happened over and over since before man was here, and long before we had automobiles and factories.

30 years ago it was announced that a new ice age was starting... HA!

The trend now is for a certain political point of view to blame man (mostly the United States) for 'Global Warming' to further their political ambitions.

In a recent hysteria movie it is claimed that a glacier in South America is shrinking... they show a chunk of it falling into the sea... something that happens every day, but they don't tell you that... The glacier shown is actually much larger than in 1973 when people who have been there first visited... ie., it is growing, not shrinking.

As far as Baja is concerned, the claim that ocean levels are rising is false... at least as far as the last 30 years is concerned... As I have been going to the same barrier island beach which is only a few feet above sea level, and it is still the same.

The earth may be warming or it may be cooling... the point is that it is NORMAL and not America's fault.

Nature is a mighty thing, and we are a small part, albeit a natural part of this planet... Don't jump off a cliff in terror. The polar bears will be fine, the world will survive... Just do what you know to be the right thing and be good to your fellow man!

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 11:22 AM

Global Warming = Lotsa Money Making

another bunch of environmental voo-doo crap. bring on more nonsense, give me another twenty years to milk the system...

Professional environmentalists are full of crap. fought them for 15 years, what a waste of time.....Our society today: The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!

adios, over and out! I gotta go build my bomb shelter, oh no, that was something else? Hope the sun spots don't get us....ooooh, Armegeddon is just around the corner........

Are you really worried about global warming? Do you really believe it?

What are you actually doing about it? Maybe I can do that also?

cap'n g

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 12:17 PM

Got a fire in the heater right now. Apologies to the global warming crew. :spingrin:Expect things to warm up without the aid of a wood heater in a couple or three weeks. :spingrin::)
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 12:58 PM

Don't know what to blame it on, but, after having a beautiful sandy beach for over 20 years, here in front of my house -- and a very windy cold winter -- I now have a rocky beach and must walk out a quarter of a mile to reach the sand. Thought I was through with that when we sold our house in Puerto Penasco.

However, my neighbors to the North are quite happy, they can launch their boats in front of their homes now and don't have to trailer them down to our beach to go fishing. They have a beautiful new, rock-free sandy beach. Just nature, just winds, what happened???
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja829
Don't know what to blame it on, but, after having a beautiful sandy beach for over 20 years, here in front of my house -- and a very windy cold winter -- I now have a rocky beach and must walk out a quarter of a mile to reach the sand. Thought I was through with that when we sold our house in Puerto Penasco.

However, my neighbors to the North are quite happy, they can launch their boats in front of their homes now and don't have to trailer them down to our beach to go fishing. They have a beautiful new, rock-free sandy beach. Just nature, just winds, what happened???

Same thing happened to the beach I grew up on in South Laguna--the 1983 storms took all the sand and it never came back...but that is more from lack of replenishment of offshore sand from river systems than anything else.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 02:17 PM

OK.....how many people use sunscreen? How many used it 20 or 30 years ago? Is that lot's of money making? Yup. Is it a good idea to wear sunscreen? Yup. Is this a win for the evil "sky is falling" voodoo crap enviornmentalist or just adapting to new information and technology? I guess it's real hard for people to believe that a 1 or 2 degree jump in the worlds temperature can and would have such a drastic effect to our lifestyle. Still, don't we want to be on the leading edge of the technonlogy and not the trailing edge? Who gives a crap whether global warming is true or not..that's besides the point. The point is that global warming will open markets like you can't believe! It will open dialogue where it is now closed. Sure, it will shut down some markets, but the gains will outpace the losses. Come on...where are the free market thinkers?!?! Change is inevitable, change is good. Buying a hybrid will not save the world, but if alot of people by hybrids, hybrid technology will get much better, and will surpass todays technology. The same goes for airplane fuel...look what Branson is doing...exciting stuff.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 02:25 PM
Religious or political

Quote:

For what they're worth, my beliefs (which I'm not going to argue about nor try to back up, I'm unqualified and this is religion, remember):

Are they not the same?

To me it looks as if every Republican thinks it's fallacy. Whereas it also seems every Dem think it's definite.

No gray area. Except for that haze over the planet.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 02:29 PM

Change happens, to beaches, to climate.

Very few state that we are not in a period of climate change, with a rise in temperatures. Isolated anecdotal incidents aside.

The film that Capt. G mentions in the initial post in this thread features scientists, appparently from reputable employers, criticizing the science behind assertions that the current cycle of warming is caused by man. They are quite emphatic that we have been had.

Certainly these people are far more qualified than I am to reach a conclusion on this question.

Yet I believe there are other apparently qualified people who support the opposing viewpoint.

I guess it works like this. I voted for Al Gore. He believes global warming is man caused. I do NOT like George Bush. He has resisted the theory that global warming is man caused. Therefore, for me, the science is simple: Global Warming Is Caused By Man!

But I to tell you the truth I don't really know for sure, maybe I'm retarded or something. But I would like to get past the general argumant and hear some specific responses to the presentation of this television program the captain mentions. I have a few criticisms, but not enough to shoot it down.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.