Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what time does it get dark - driving at dusk
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 09:31 AM
what time does it get dark - driving at dusk

Hello
I am planning a trip in the middle of February. I have looked up the actual time of sunset (around 6:15) but what time does it actually get dark? This would be towards the Pacific, about half way down the peninsula.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 10:47 AM

Correct answer...when the sun goes down...and don't be afraid to drive afterward ...no matter what "they say"...:lol:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 11:35 AM

Thanks. Some places seem to get dark immediately upon sundown, others have a kind of lingering twilight...don't know hoe it is in Baja. Hence my question...
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2004 at 05:54 PM

Depends on your location. The middle of the peninsula towards the Pacific side is generally non mountainous so you will get light later. But, if you are heading north, the sun will be right in your eyes until it goes down.
Jim is right when he says it's ok to drive at night. But I do recommend some extra lights to spot cows, burros and whatever else happens to be waiting to dart in front of you. With the lights, you can stop and shoot em before they do damage to your car. Makes for a great asado as well. Bring money!
Be careful at all times. You never know what is just around the next bend or hill. Serious !
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 07:16 AM

This week it's a full moon That'll help
You can drive at night. but when in Mex why be in a hurry? :smug:
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 07:57 AM

Sorry I disagree. I've driven in baja for 30 years and almost every bad accident I've seen happened at night. The few times I've been caught and had to drive at night I drive slower and more watchful When a truck comes you better be ready. At night they take their half of the road out of the middle so if your driving a full size truck it leaves you with very little room. Allot of them have just come from comida and have had a few two many. I would drive early in the morning when the truckers are asleep. Also I agree with Markitos Whats the hurry
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 09:57 AM

I'm with Mick. I have traveled on Baja buses which travel all night, and they regularly drive down the middle of the road. You can't see diddly beyond the light of your headlights and it's difficult to see what's coming from the left or right of you. At this time of year you can run into pockets of thick fog. Mex 1 has become fairly dangerous due to the many 18 wheelers and huge motorhomes and those towing trailers hogging the relatively narrow road with no shoulder. Even with the best intentions, it's the other guy, whom you have no control over, who may be the one to cause an accident. If you are driving at night, please don't be the one who is driving down the middle of the road, only has one headlight, keep high beams on approaching other vehicles, driving after drinking, etc.
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 01:26 PM

How far are you going? Have you checked the lunar cycle? Makes a big difference in visability. GOOD LIGHTS. All the difference. If I leave SD around midnight to 2 by the time I get south of Maneadero most of the truckers are racked out.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 01:53 PM

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

You can put in a place name (i.e. Guerrreo Negro, Mexico) and find out sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset, civil twilight, nautical twilight, astronomilcal twilight......and more!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 10:49 PM

Be careful at dusk. A lot of Mexicans seem to consider lights are optional at that time, and others put on their parking lights. Have a good trip!

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 09:53 AM

gatoloco...I read a book some years ago called And the sea shall tell...(If I remember correctly)...written by the L.A. prosecutor who was involved with the Charlie Manson trial...and it told about all the different types of sunset/sunrise definitions used in the legal area....didn't realize it was so involved...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.