BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: What is your best recipe for cooking shrimp??
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-10-2007 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Hook,

No I don't for the c-cktails, but yes for broth for other dishes.

The Clamato or Tomato Juice is thin enough. I prefer the thin Mexican Style c-cktails over the thick gringo style.

This works for clams, pulpo and scallops too!

Ken

Oh yeah, most definitely on the thin Mexican style. I cant eat the old northeastern style anymore. Too sweet!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 05:26 AM
Right you are, Phil C

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
All these sound great, but you have to start with good shrimp. ( I know I'll get flack...) The best shrimp in the world are Gulf of Mexico shrimp, whites and browns, yes that gulf. Running a very close, if not equal, second are Alta Golfo de California ( SOC) white shrimp. You CAN tast the differance between these two and all the Pacific and S. E. Asia "rock" shrimp. Just my shrimpy two cents worth.

Here are those tasty Gulf shrimp....the world's best. Phil, you need to start researching how to stock these in the Cortez. Can you get that done in time for dinner manana?

- a few nice shrimp.jpg - 29kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 04:03 PM

With the new flights direct from Texas, I'll have my cousin bring some next time he visits.... Course those from San Felipe (Baja Norte, not Texas) are just about the same if you have someone coming that way :) But for tomorrow better stick with chocolates and cabrilla.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 05:03 PM
Washington/Canadian Shrimp

As long as were talking varieties of Shrimp..............

Don't forget the tasty Spotted White Shrimp found around the San Juan Islands and the Puget Sound.

They are right up there with the other two varieties, IMO.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
All these sound great, but you have to start with good shrimp. ( I know I'll get flack...) The best shrimp in the world are Gulf of Mexico shrimp, whites and browns, yes that gulf. Running a very close, if not equal, second are Alta Golfo de California ( SOC) white shrimp. You CAN tast the differance between these two and all the Pacific and S. E. Asia "rock" shrimp. Just my shrimpy two cents worth.

Hey, that's good to know...I'm fer sure draggin' the BBQ down to the Gulf!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 08:49 PM

the farmed shrimp just dont get it

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 11:31 PM

Best shrimp I've ever had are the local Spot Prawns. They impart a lobster-like flavor. Problem is, hardly a market exists for them. I buy them whenever I can find them. They are strange when loaded with eggs.
They never make it to port. The skipper and crew usually get them all.
I use prawn shells to make a liquor for shrimp gumbo.

Jerry, try Thailand farmed prawns if you ever have to buy frozen. They are much better than those farmed from India, Qatar, Vietnam, Mexico or Indonesia

[Edited on 4-12-2007 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 12:10 PM

Shrimp butter...... Use yuor uncooked shrimp shells and mix with butter put them in the oven for awhile at a heat low enough not to boil the butter, mix it up every once in a while, an hour or so . Strain, wonderfuly shrimp flavored butter.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 12:13 PM

Deep water prawns. In So. Cal there are fishermen that trap live prawns at 600 plus feet. They sell them live to wholsalers. If you know a guy you can get them, the eggs are great! Same ones they serve as Ama Ebi at the sushi bars.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 01:40 PM

Big white cobs from down in the Gulf of Mexico are tops.:bounce: They come up the bayous when the winter winds blow.:)
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 08:13 AM

Fast and easy Shrimp

I like to use 16-21 size shrimp.
I mix up the following:

Olive Oil
Tobasco
Favorite Taco Sauce
Salt and Peper

Marrinate the clean and deveined shrimp in the mixture for an hour or more.

Grill to perfection.

Very tender and tasty, I find it goes well with a cold Tecate!!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 09:04 AM

i put salt and caraway in about 3 quarts of water in a 6 quart pan boil for about 5 minuites add a kg of shrimp when they float they done chill on ice or serve hot peel and eat
dipping sause
catsup
horsradish
wistershire
lemon or lime
garlic power
salt

or drawn realbutter

jerry and judi
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 07:23 PM

Wow! Spent a week in Galveston--those Gulf of Mexico White Shrimp are awesome--I'd forgotten what shrimp were supposed to taste like after eating the store bought junk for the last 10 years...but I've got to tell you, even better were the oysters we got from the fish market in Galveston--without a doubt the best I've ever had, especially with tabasco and lime juice!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 07:48 PM

I forgot this the first time around. A chef friend of mine told me to rinse the shrimp then put them in water with ice cubes and about a big tablespoon of kosher salt(only kosher) and let them soak for at least 30 minutes before you cook them and they will puff up. It works. There is something about restoring the salt that has evaporated, been decreased by the iodine they put on them to keep them looking fresh.....I dont really know the reason but it works.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 07:50 PM

Shrimp with Red Chile and Orange

Peel and clean 1 pound of medium to large shrimp.
Melt 1 Tbs. of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add a clove or more of garlic, minced or pressed.
Add shrimp to skillet and sprinkle with a tsp. or so of powdered red chile-- hot or mild, but not American "chile powder". Toss or stir after about a minute.
Add juice of a fresh orange and steam covered for a minute or so, until opaque and pink.
Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a bowl and keep warm.
Reduce pan juices until thick, add salt to taste, and pour over shrimp.

Serve with rice-- a mix or white and wild is good with this dish.

Edit: I decided to give it a name.

[Edited on 5-7-2007 by Paula]

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 08:08 PM

Judy,

Are you soaking the shrimp in their shells or peeled? After the soak can you cok them any way? Boiled? Sauteed?

We probably can't find kosher salt in Loreto... can you buy it down there? It's my kitchen and table salt in Montana, but it seems a little goofy to bring salt to Baja!:lol:

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 08:38 PM

1. Net shrimp from under the bridge in Ozello FL

2. Boil shrimp with Zatarain's Boil in Bag

Or you could grill them and serve with a tequila jalapeno pecan butter sauce.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 10:11 PM

There was an interesting article in the LA Times food section a few weeks back. A few basic recipes but the gist of the article involved cooking shrimp or fish in ziploc baggies in water no hotter than 150 degrees (measured). You put butter and any herbs you prefer in the bag with the fish. Believe the process is called sous-vide. Texture and amount of flavor is supposed to be superb.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 12:13 AM

Great recipes!

Shrimp with Sherry and Sauted Almonds.

I like a variation that consists of sauted brown sliced almonds, sherry, garlic and shrimp cooked in butter and served over rice. For my taste I like to play with three/four flavors. In this case it is shrimp, sauted almonds, garlic and sherry. Very simple prep and as others have said, the key is not to overcook the shrimp or they become touch and too strong flavored.

Saute almonds till golden, remove, add more butter and garlic, sherry to taste, saute shrimp and add back in almonds.

Pour seasoned butter, shrimp and almonds over the rice.

Don't use cooking sherry, use a good quality sherry.

Iflyfish
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 10:19 AM

I have only done it with them peeled with the tails left on. Will try with shells and let you know.
I buy kosher salt at Lenny's Deli in San Lucas...guess I should also mention that the original trailer park which was owned by Lenny and his family is now in the back of the deli, no trailers and no trash is their motto. I havent eaten there yet but it was always a wonderful place with a huge selection and large portions. Osoflojo, have you tried the new place?

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.