Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: El Rosario food
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2007 at 11:35 PM
El Rosario food

Damn that waitress. If there something that peees me off this is it! I realize that so many little places practice minimal washing but that is totallly unacceptable. The small stands etc are suspect because it's obvious they don't have running water. That does not mean they can't sanitize their hands though. The laws of Mexico are supposed to prevent desease just like the U.S. It is simple to understand why these laws are hard to enforce.
Mama needs help. Her age prevents her from watching and seeing these things going on. It is such a shame this place has lost so much credibility. I met Mama so many years ago and I'm sure she remembers me but how could I ever discusss or let her know what the visitors are saying. It's an institution I'd hate to see vanish. Maybe someone or some caring relative will step up to the plate. It's time.

Soulpatch, you will not find excellent food in El Rosario IMHO. I have tried a number of places there and they are pretty much on equal footing IMHO. Just go order some fish tacos at the bus or up the street on the right.:lol: You won't know the diff.:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 10:51 AM

La Bocana Beach Restaurant was really good until Primo lost his cook... It could be good again, but we haven't tried it the last couple of times.

Baja's Best is very good when Ed is there for lobster... ask him to make it 'his style', always good for breakfast burritos (chorizo)... Tacos el Mision (Hugo Lopez') is good for the few things they have, including stuffed baked potatoes.

Tacos el Poblado just around the sharp corner, on the right get's high ratings... There are many places to get a bite (taco stands)... I cannot give a recent report other than breakfast we had at Baja's Best last Feb.

Guess we will need to try them all gain at this year's BAJA-ROSARIO CULTURAL FESTIVAL July 20-22, 2007

[Edited on 4-11-2007 by David K]

Rosario-06-RR.JPG - 49kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 12:22 PM

Does Mama Espinosa has any inkling about the horrible reviews she has been getting from gringos in the past few years?? Place used to be " the IN-PLACE " not too many moons ago. Maybe we could have Antonio go next door and maybe give her a clue as to what is happening to her business and could prevent a further decline:?::?:
Just a suggestion:P:P:P
I, for one, won't eat here again unless reviews improve.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 07:13 PM

We have had a few good meals at Mama's... when we eat there with Antonio. Usually breakfast... Mama's daughter Roli runs the place. It is really the 'tourist place' to eat with all the off road racing stuff on the walls... oh, an autographed Viva Baja sticker to Mama, as well!

Thanksgiving 2004 we had great Baja 'turkey' (lobster) for dinner... Antonio, Tony Miranda (Diamante del Mar) and I:

Here's Antonio and Lorenia talking to Roli at Mama Espinoza's:

[Edited on 4-12-2007 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 07:28 PM

there's the "rub" david

the year is 2007 not 2004

nothing stays the same ... except...

antonio DOES listen...thank you antonio

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 08:12 PM

As we were headed south on 4/1, we noticed a sign outside of Mama's advertising their new breakfast buffet. After a few overpriced meals there, we haven't been back.

Two notes, we tried a loncheria that is on the south side of the road just east of the military base. I think it is white with red trim and small...only two tables. We enjoyed our tacos and burritos. After we ate, Antonio said it was a locals hangout.

Tacos El Poblano was sold a while back. We've been back twice but won't go back again. The food is average at best. Too bad as Tacos El Poblano was great.

Zac

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2007 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
As we were headed south on 4/1, we noticed a sign outside of Mama's advertising their new breakfast buffet. After a few overpriced meals there, we haven't been back.

Two notes, we tried a loncheria that is on the south side of the road just east of the military base. I think it is white with red trim and small...only two tables. We enjoyed our tacos and burritos. After we ate, Antonio said it was a locals hangout.

Tacos El Poblano was sold a while back. We've been back twice but won't go back again. The food is average at best. Too bad as Tacos El Poblano was great.

Zac

That didn't last long! Poblano replaced Baja Stone Restaurant at that location, Tacos was on the west side of that building... It started just over a year ago! Antonio will know why it closed.... Hey 'BajaCactus'!!??

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 06:08 AM
La mijita

simple food (ans prices) located on the north side of H1 next to espinosa's market just east of the delegation/park. run by Elsa and her family. they share parking with the market. between #21 and #23 on DK's map.

p.s. they have running water!

[Edited on 4-12-2007 by woody in ob]

la mijita (Small) (Small).jpg - 50kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 08:57 AM

Thanks for the photo Woody!

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 09:36 AM

Maybe Antonio could take over the Mamas..............or open his own place.

If he runs it like his other businesses it will surely be a winner!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 11:07 AM
Food...

I agree there are no great places to eat in El Rosario... After trying every place in El Rosario, when I go there these are my usual options:

-- Breakfast: at Mama's (usually "Huevos Rancheros" only) or La Mijita (she will prepare anything you ask, clean place).

-- Meal: when I go to Mama's I only order either "Arrechera Marinada" or "Lenguado al mojo de Ajo"... other places is "La Pasadita" (almost in front of No. 36 on David's Map, this is the one Bajaboy went to on his last trip) and "La Mision" (No. 36)... these two last places have few options on the Menu but they are good and clean. La Mision has very good stuffed potatoes and La Pasadita has very good "sopes" and "tostadas".

-- Dinner: MJB Hot Dog Stand (No. 31 on David's Map).

Tacos El Poblano used to be a great taco stand. The owners were from San Quintin... and that was the problem... they just got tired of coming back and forth every week... so, they close about 10 months ago. After that a local lady re-opened it but it is not the same... not at all.

Maybe this will give you some tips for the next time you pass through El Rosario... however remember that food and taste, are a personal choice, therefore saying someplace has good food is always somewhat relative.

Bob and Susan, Capt. George... thank you very much.

Now... some news... the BajaCactus Restaurant and Convenience Store are coming soon. I plan to begin construction in a couple of months... and with your honest help and advice, I believe it could turn out to be a nice decent place.

Enjoy Baja my friends!!!

BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 4-12-2007 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 11:18 AM

That's great news, Antonio!

With your willingness to be fair and provide value, I am sure both will be a success.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 11:18 AM

La Mijita

great food, even better people! Deborah was traveling down to Ojos with her daughter and stopped by for a bite...just closing, so they took Deborah, her daughter Ashley and our grandson Ocean home to their casa for a meal.

how about that?!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 11:28 AM

Bought some excellent tamales and empanadas from a lady, she was selling 'em from igloo coolers in the back of a pickup truck.:bounce::)
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 01:42 PM
La Mijita

Can you translate the name for me. Duh! Thanks.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 02:24 PM

something to do with dogs and cats??? I have no idea?

only kidding, have had great meals there..............

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
simple food (ans prices) located on the north side of H1 next to espinosa's market just east of the delegation/park. run by Elsa and her family. they share parking with the market. between #21 and #23 on DK's map.

p.s. they have running water!

This is not the loncheria I was referring to. Maybe Antonio can help me out with the name. Anyways, the one I mentioned is east of the military base, almost across from La Mision on the south side of the road. The two table are located inside. Very intimate and friendly help.

zac

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 05:38 PM

Great news Antonio...

What happened to the good cook that worked for Primo (La Bocana Beach Restaurant)?

I have always had good food at Ed Lusk's (Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast/ Restaurant), but the flys (in the summer) and the dogs and cats could bother some... I look at those things like if it was the old Baja dirt road days, when you ate in a rancho's home.

What about Betty's (#13 on my map) Antojitos Mexicanos? We had great machaca & eggs twice... never tried her dinners.

It's amazing that as fast as I can make a map of the town businesses, they either change their name, open a new one, or go out of business!

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 05:47 PM

We had a breakfast and a dinner at Bocana Beach when passing thru in January '07 and it was much improved over the breakfast we had in August '06. Good stuff and we'll probably stop there again.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 06:29 PM

Last trip to visit family in Oceanside was May 2005. Left Elias Calles at 4:00am with the wife and 1 1/2 yr old Johnny and 7 yr old Cabo Guillermo. Drove 14 hours (mas o minos) to Cativina. Spent the night, left early in the morning and drove to Mama's for breakfast. Maybe we were just really hungry....but the break was very good and the service excellent.

After 2 years, we leave next month to repeat the same trip. Will drive to Cativina then break at Mama's. Will report food/service experience after we return home to Elias Calles.

Antonio, of course we will gas up at your station.....but we are looking forward to our trip back to SD in 2008-09 as we will stop and eat at the Baja Cactus restaurant. Will you have hash browns??:lol::lol::bounce:

Antonio....will look forward to the new Baja Cactus restaurant on our next trip north in 2008-2009.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.