Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Health Care--Baja
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 10:16 AM
Health Care--Baja

As Vistors and Future residents we all need information about the Health Care System in Baja Norte and Baja Sur.!!
For those in the Know and Position to Know Please Share that information on this Board!
Please no "Balme" Shame" or Flame" lets keep it on the General discussion so everyone can benefit! thank You
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 01:10 PM
Erendira health care

I participate in a group that takes team of dentists, physician, and opticians to small Baja communities a couple of times a year. We have worked in Erendira the last three years.

The clinic provides treatment for most minor health problems. More serious problems get sent to Ensenada. The medical care is free to residents and visitors alike. We have seen Americans who live in the community come for minor treatment and they say they are not charged differently than the Mexican residents. We saw two American motorcycle accident victims (minor accidents) who were treated the same as the residents.

There is no dental care in the community. I?m told that dental care is not provided in the same way as medical care so people who can?t afford it don?t get it.

The physician rotates every year, after completing the Social Service obligation. The quality of medical care depends on the competency and commitment of the physician. I rate them as generally good. The current physician is well trained and has interest and expertise beyond what is generally needed in the community. One nurse in Erendira is a local resident and has worked there for years. The second nurse is serving his Social Service obligation and is well trained.

Medicines must be purchased by the patient, the clinic has no budget to provide the medicine. The pharmacy in Erendira stocks the commonly needed medicines and can get others if requested.

When I travel in Baja, I take emergency medicines since I know there may be competent medical care but don?t know about the availability of the medicines in rural areas. I would trust myself to the physicians I have met.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 01:40 PM

Thank You.
It is my understanding that there are 3 different Hospitals systems with in Baja' Does anybody have that Type of information?What, Where, ?
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 04:59 PM
From the Baja Emergency Guide...

According to The Baja Emergency Guide,
a listing of medical, police & other emergency services:

"There are several different government run facilities: Cruz Roja (Red Cross), Centros De Salud, IMSS Hospitals & ISSSTE Hospitals. Cruz Rojas & Centros De Salud are free of charge to Mexican nationals and reasonably priced for foreigners. IMSS & ISSSTE hospitals are for Government employees or Mexican workers enrolled in a health care program. In the larger cities there are privately run hospitals as well. All are required by law to assist foreigners in emergency situations. For dental emergencies (Toothaches can go from zero to excruciating in a matter of hours) we suggest going to a medical facility for a referral."

They also say:

Highly Recommended: A $30 membership to the non-profit organization Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee. They will act as your advocate and intermediary between the two governments, insurance and medical transport. This is the best deal there is. For more information visit their website at Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee

[Edited on 2-7-2004 by jeans]

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-6-2004 at 05:31 PM
Stuff

Don't forget Jeans, you can get Instant Insurance and Binational coverage together by buying the insurance for a year!

They are both insurance coverages, FYI

mike;)
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 05:26 PM
Things seem to work better there--a true story.

About 7 or 8 years ago we had a medical emergency after we finished whale watching in Bahia Magdalena. I slammed the door of the van we were riding in on a friends finger. The bone was crushed and his finger nearly severed.

We went to the Clinica in Puerto Lopez Mateos; they took us right away. They cleaned up the wound; administered a pain shot. They said they could do no more and told us to go to the hospital in Ciudad Constitution. We were out of the clinic in about 15 minutes and they refused to let us pay.

We went to the hospital; the bone was set (wired), the cut stitched and bandaged and we were out of there in about an hour. The cost: $40 for the hospital and $100 for the surgeon. He even gave physical therapy information.

My friend's doctor checked him out when we got home and said all was done well.

Would have probably cost several thousand dollars in the US.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 05:42 PM

We were in Cabo in '95, and my wife cut her heel on some coral at Playa Santa Maria. We were referred to a clinic in the middle of CSL (about 7 blocks from the harbor). The staff attended us after just a couple minutes. The doctor gave my wife 5 or 6 stitches and offered her a tetanus shot. She didn't need it, but I said that it had been a while for me, so they gave me an injection. I also mentioned that one of my ears was giving me trouble from the snorkeling. He checked it out and gave me some drops. The bill for both of our treatments was ten dollars U.S. They would not take more.

About a year of so later, while I was working in the U.S., I stepped on a long nail that went all the way through my boot. (You could clearly see it sticking up through the top of my foot - ouch!) The nearest health-care was Roseville Hospital. I had to wait over 4 hours while I counted only 2 other patients that got attended. They pulled out the nail with a pair of pliers, (ten seconds of work - max) taped up my foot with some paper/cloth wrapping, threw away my blood soaked boot, gave me a bill for 600 U.S. dollars, and said, to paraphrase, "Have a nice day." About a week after that lame act, I read in the local paper that that particular hospital was milking it on the urgent care in order to discourage people from showing up because they weren?t making enough money from it. True story.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 07:50 PM
Health care

Pack, I learned from running carpentry crews for thirty some years that unless there is a possibility of bleeding to death, most common accidents involved nailguns and staplers, you are much better off (and probably have much better pliers) pulling the sucker out yourself, using a good cleanser, and patching it up youself. I have pictures of most incidents somewhere at home if anyone is interested in const. accidents.
Going to a doctor/emergency care facility is ridiculous in those instances as you learned.
In Rosarito, we have a family doctor who happens to be a she from La Paz originally. She, and her family know what they are doing. They don't put up with our medicated gringo nonsense and fix the problems. I have so many examples I don't want to get started.
But, for those of you that think paying all that money to a u.s. doctor because they are better at what they do, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Her's an example for you regarding doctors. My car as many of you know has been sick for the last week or so. Pretty serious injuries including new rear suspension and a transmission. The quote was for $750.00 u.s. When I got the van back today, they charged me $690.00 because it was easier than they thought it would be. (Drive shaft fit ).
Now, when yall are tellin me that your country is the best in the world, I truly have to ask myself why ????????????
PS, BSAR may have had a little to do with it but we will discuss that at a later date.
Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 08:14 PM
Well,

The USA is the best in the world, at EVERYTHING.

But, there is always a BUT.

This subject is much more complicated and EASY than expected.

Leave it to Americans to figure it out.

Want to know the truth about getting the HELL back to the states? Yes, sometimes it is better to handle stuff in Mex, but, when you need EMERGENCY LIFE SUPPORT...email me, I know, I went thru it. Happy to pass on the stuff...FREE

mike
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 09:35 PM
Sorry to hear that Mike

Glad everything worked out OK for you.
And , you are right about one thing, the u.s. is certainly better at creating some weird arse people in the news every day.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 04:25 AM

J.R.Baja, yes, I'm interested. Please scan and post those pictures of those injuries. I wish I had video coverage of my experience.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 07:46 AM
We run the "free" clinic at Lopez Mateo

www.flyingsamaritans.com (phx)

www.flyingsamaritans.org (int'l)

always looking for volunteers.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 08:45 AM
Gracias Flying Samaritans

My friend was going into shock; glad the clinic was there. I am afraid to think about what would have happened had the clinic not been there.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 11:29 AM
I always took my 'clinic' with me.

I managed to slice the side of my foot pretty good on a broken beer bottle. I was a lot braver in those days and unless I had organs showing usually just patched myself up with a pretty extensive medical kit I carried with me. Graham took the photo, then we went fishing.
M
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 11:45 AM

Good job M. Now I'm feeling like a wimp.

When my boss saw the hospital bill, he sent me to a clinic for the follow up. The clinic was like a mini-mart for health care. They even had one named Med-7. It was a better option than the hospital; but apparently, the hospitals, doctors, and HMOs filed suit and had all of the quickie-clinics closed down. Apparently, they (Roseville Hospital) didn?t want to serve me, and they didn?t want anybody else serving me either.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 01:41 PM

Thank you to All Posters!

Please would someone that knows about Health Care in Guerrero Negro, San Ignacio. Mulege, Santa Rosalli.a Loreto respond!

As more people get further South of the Border it becomes more difficult to get back to the States. You need to be aware of the Facilities that are near to your Location.
{I was told that someone in Loreto has donated a Difiblator{SP] which is avaiaible some where in Loreto?]

There are three hospitals in Constitution with a good suppy of Doctors and Surgerons!

If we can get enough interest and information I will gladly see that a check List is printed and send to every one who request Same, this will take some time as I will concentrate on Baja Sur.
that way if you have a problem between Loreto and Constitution you will know where to go or any other locations on the Road.

I would appreciate any information,tele,numbers,Ambulance,speci locations of Clinics, Doctors, Hospitals.

God Bless

Skeet/Loreto
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 09:07 PM

Skeet,
The new Baja Emergency Guide has all the info you need. I got my copy when Jeans got hers. DK? you know where to get it? Jeans?

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by M]
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 07:51 AM
Guide

You can find the Baja Emergency Guide at
BajaEmergencyGuide.com It is a great tool to have when in baja.
We had an experiance in La paz and the hospital there was great. it is a teaching hospital so there are some very good doctors there.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 07:57 AM

The Baja Emergency Guide is available from my web site, it is listed with other Baja books and authors web site's at http://davidksbaja.com/davidslinks.html It is an e-book which means as soon as you pay, you can print it on your own pc.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 09:12 AM
Dear David

How long have you been in a paid affiliate relationship with the guide?

How much do they pay?

They pay per customer through your link, right?

Mike
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.