Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ski Baja, Mike H and JR.....let's not forget
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 05:37 PM
Ski Baja, Mike H and JR.....let's not forget

Well, fellow Nomads, this day started at 0230 when I was most rudely interrupted from my Saturday slumber with a few thoughts that somehow continued to grown throughout my day to the point that I ended up with a need to share them with all of you.

Ski Baja was the first figure to encroach and this was followed by a reference to a chicken coop.
That rolled around in my head for a while and then was replaced by a comment or two……..really more like twenty by Mike Humfreville.

Ski Baja became JR and the two, Mike and Jay never could come together on the same page about anything………They fought and argued about almost everything BAJA.

The really nutty thing is/was that they both loved Baja so hard that they could never see past their own visions.

More that nutty was the more than sad fact that they were both called from Baja at a very young age.

As I have gone through this day……….thinking of two men who had one shared desire………to help the folks in Baja………..I have come to a simple conclusion and that is that we are all diminished by their passing!

We should also be proud that they both touched us in so many ways.

They both deserve to be thought of often and always!

For the new ones on the board you would better understand if you hit the search button and pulled these two men up and into your lives.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 06:32 PM
Gotta tell you

I was most surprised that no one responded to two of the most interesting and caring folks I have ever known...............I did get one response from a Nomad who has pledged never to post here again................Heck!.....I know not why!
Anyway, her response was that Carol and Mary Ann should receive this message.................so if any of the folks here know how to make that happen..............well! that just might make them light up a smile.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 06:47 PM

Bernie, Mary Ann is in Bahia de L.A. and has email... It is almost the same email as Mike's, only it is MA instead of just M in front of the rest of it. Carol is still in La Barca I think... I am sure one of the Baja Nomads who live nearby can get a message to her, unless she reads this, too?

I didn't have anything to add to your post on jrbaja and Mike Humfreville... I think your post covered things well...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 06:50 PM

great guys, tho we never met. woulda loved to sit around a fire and listen to their stories..........

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 02:58 PM
Gone!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 03:08 PM

What is gone?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 03:23 PM
Thanks Bernie....In memory of JR.

I have had this recipe on my computer for some time now...and think I copied it from one of JR's posts a long time ago..if not, it is dedicated to his memory anyway.

J.R.’S ONE-SKILLET BREAKFAST
1. 12 eggs
2 cans pre-cooked diced or sliced
potatoes, drained
1 onion, diced
1 c. milk
1 lb. diced ham
2 tbsp. shortening
Salt
Pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons shortening in large skillet; add potatoes and onions; brown. Beat eggs and milk thoroughly in bowl. Add eggs and milk mixture and diced meat to potatoes and onions in skillet. Salt and pepper. Cook slowly on low heat, stir frequently when most of the liquid is gone, breakfast is ready to serve. This is a large meal and will serve 6 hungry people.

The cooking fire is ready, JR, and I brought the BIG frypan!

-0 a nice camp frypan.jpg - 42kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 04:03 PM

Hey Bernie ----

How about, "Gone but not forgotten"

I wish I had known these guys but, through Mikes writings and JRs past posts, I feel a kindred spirit. I hope that isn't presumptous or sacriligeous.
Thanks for keeping good memorys alive.

Hang in there, Bernie
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 04:27 PM

Bernie,

When I first starting lurking here JR was still alive. I read his posts but at the time didn't fully appreciate him. Seemed like there was allways a heated discusion in progress. But after his passing and reading his posts quoted by others with the background stories I wish I had had a chance to meet him.

Your description of him and Mike being at opposite ends but with a common love of Baja applies to many here.

I did, however get a chance to meet Mike at last years Book Signing at the Pyramid. To say that I was impressed with him is a monumental understatement. He was in obvious pain from the accident, but still took time to talk to us, ask us questions of our life and signed a personal note on the book we bought. I'm angry that I won't have the opportunity to get to know him better, share stories, trade Spanish CD's, etc. I think of him most times I sign on to this board.

To those not familar with Mike H., do yourself a favor and get his book, and read his posts here. He was a poet.

And yes Bernie I miss him.

Cheers to Mike

[Edited on 4-20-2007 by tripledigitken]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 04:35 PM

Available from Sunbelt, Discover Baja, or Mary Ann at the Pyramid Resort May 5.

humfreville.JPG - 50kB

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:17 PM

Bernie, I'm here in Bahia with Maryann, I did call her attention to your post which she read and relayed to her sons, she was touched by you posting. Maryann reads the board (not everything) almost everyday, she got that habit from Mike reading things of interest to her.

I went out the Mikes's grave yesterday and had one of our "talks" with him. Those of you may remember seeing the picture at his wake of him with the palm frond tied to is head. I spoted a frond and just knew it was there for a reason. I put that frond right behind his cross, and I saw that picture taken just before he died..........it was just meant to be. Today Maryann and I stopped by there, and she said it was just perfect. I will take pictures to share with those of you that will be at the book signing. It will be the way to spot his grave for now (until he has a proper marker) Several people have asked. As I sat there I thought about the many, many late night talks we had had together both at their home in Ventura County and on our many trips together here in Baja. While Mike and I sometimes didn't agree with each other, I really did learn alot from him and care for him deaply (sometimes I wanted to knock him upside the head, true..........) and I think he cared for Brendan and I too, almost as members of his small family.

JR, I never met him in person, but, over the years we, U2ed, emailed and I asked him once. "Just what are you doing?" He laughted and said, "I like stiring things up, watch this, I'll get Mike going" and he'd post something to bait Mike, and then email me and say "see, he just cracks me up" JR really liked Mike I think, Mike and the outer hand didn't alway "get" JR. I did relay this info. to Mike and he'd smile and say "The PUTZ!"

Thanks for your words Bernie, it's not that we don't remember or care, for me it's been abit hard. As "Minnow" (Mean-O) :P just kidding Tom said, it was hard for me, I came back from Costa Rica and got blindsided with the news. All I could think of was that I wasn't there for my beloved friend Maryann, she was down here alone dealing with everything, the village came together for her as the village does for family, their sons came down to be with her and Mike was given a loving funeral by the whole village..........he is where he wants to be. RIP my friend (YOU PUTZ!)

Mean people suck!
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:55 PM

Picture an old man wiping tear from his eyes and trying to think of two guys, much younger than him, as the tears continued to flow. Why! Because you 'humans' brought them back for me in your remembrances.

Carol and Mary Ann you were so lucky and I truly hope that one day you hold hands, look into each others eyes, and smile at the love that you both had.
No mas! Fin!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.