BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Treasures of Baja, legends and lore..
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 03:21 PM
Treasures of Baja, legends and lore..

I thought I'd move this to a new thread that has more to do about legends and history of Baja....

...............................................................................................
Moved from the Anchoring Out thread by lencho:

Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
"Pomp:
There was always a "Mexicano" rumor that Cortez buried a large amount of Gold somewhere off the Pt.

Maybe we should start a Salvage Operation for Boats, Sunken Sailboats and Gold!!

Skeet/Loreto"

Skeet! Shh...quiet! Keep it down...mum's the word!

I have dug up most the most peninsula looking for the fabled lost treasure of Cortez. So far, my metal detector has found me these 'treasures'...

I believe...no, ..I KNOW ...that the rusted stirrup was worn by old Cortez himself! And these coins I have found on the beaches and desert are further proof of buried treasure....

....genuine descendants of 'peices of eight.'

What legends do you pursue in Baja...or are you sworn to secrecy?

[Edited on 4-23-2007 by Pompano]

-0 a cortez find.jpg - 45kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 09:57 PM

Quote:

What legends do you pursue in Baja...or are you sworn to secrecy?

Senor Pompano-

i believe cortez was a punk, if not an outright thief....one in a loooong line of conquistadores. but heck, i probably woulda been along for the ride myself! history is what it has become!!!there is more than one type of gold to be found in the deserts of our Baja! the ocean is the mother of many of our desires....get yours amigo!:cool:

[Edited on 4-22-2007 by woody in ob]

pieces of gold.jpg - 33kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 06:30 AM
Treasure from a Legend - Baja Patty

Many of you know the legend of Baja Patty, who lived on the Conception Bay peninsula at her Rcho Margarita. She was a real Baja gal who loved horses, horsemen, tequila, the rugged outdoors, life without too many rules, and giving with her heart. Per her wishes, she is buried there now.

Once she heard I was sick with a fever and drove the 3 hours over the old rough trail from her place to mine to give me some homemade tea medicine and this little figure. We were blessed to know her.

One of my 'treasures'...a Baja Patty 'Little People' figure of Villa...and memories of Patty.

-0 a Little People - Baja Patty.jpg - 43kB

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2007 at 10:44 PM

Thanks for that post, Pompano. I've long been curious about that real Baja lady, and a few months ago we camped out a couple of nights over on that peninsula and located what may have been her place.

If it wouldn't be an invasion of your or her privacy, would you share some things you probably know about her, like how she happened to locate in such an out-of-the way place, and whatever? [Or if this is too personal, forget I asked.]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 07:17 AM

San roque which is the next fish camp north of bahia asucnion...is a known pirate hang out (to this day!!!) where the Spaniards hid out and buried treasure...once in awhile coins are found at the beach and particularly in the mystery cave on the island. Many of the abandoned houses there have huge excavations inside the houses where treasures are known to have been removed...there are excavations all over the area. Before those metal detectors, the people used to locate treasures by seeing the ghosts of the slaves that were killed and thrown in on top of the treasures to protect them. What they saw was probably a gas that gold gives off when it meets damp air and produces a glow. pretty cool stories and many won't dig up treasures cause they think they will be cursed or die so probably gringos get most of them. Everyone who used to live there has stories and theories of where there are more treasures......

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 08:27 PM

Shari, I can tell by your post that you have heard many stories from the locals about how said gold is found. I have also heard identical stories of how hidden gold is found, especially by the light of the full moon which in baja casts a
strange and surreal colour upon things living and dead.
The place I have heard these tales told is the Real de Santa Ana
in San Antonio de la Sierra BCS
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 08:48 PM
Laguna Hanson treasure

I was told of a lost treasure in Laguna Hanson, that was the reason that Hanson was kill.It has beeb said that he own alot head of cattle worth alot money,story tells that he had alot money hidding in different places around his properity.(laguna Hanson)

Parque Nacional.JPG - 49kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 07:06 AM

My favorite ghost story is the Ghost Car....who has been seen by lots of folks in San roque or I should say...on it's way to san roque but it never gets there...you can see a car coming a long ways off on that road from the fishcamp...I have seen it up on top of the hill behind san roque where there is no road...we saw it at night and checked in the morning to see if there were tracks...no seņor! The caretaker there didn't believe it until he saw it too...one night he saw 3 cars coming together...but only 2 arrived and the other 2 cars didn't see the 3rd!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 08:47 AM

It's probably my old boyfriend, still wandering around, trying to find the road out. He won't ask for directions.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 02:21 PM

Pompano-In about 1966, 6 of us guys sailed a 23 foot sailboat from Guymas harbor to Conception Bay. It took us 24 hours in the month of July. We explored the bay, met up with our old friend, Manuel Diaz and camped on Playa Coyote. Manuel's birthday was coming up, so he invited us to his party which was held on the beach near the present day palm trees. Manuel had a huge trutle that he had tied by the pectoral "fin" saving it for the fiesta. He prepared the 200 lb turtle by removing the shell after draining all the blood via the carotids and jugulars. He barbecued the meat inside the shell by proping it up against the fire . That was a very delicious turtle meal, the last one I ever had.While we were camped there, we noticed it took 2 hours for the local trucks to make the trip down the hill to the beach and north over the hill on their way to Mulege. Now it takes them a noisy 2 minutes! Manuel then told us about petroglyphs and a spring on the peninsula across the bay. He also said there was an abandoned rancho nearby. We sailed over there the next day, did some diving, speared some striped pompano and went for a hike in the extreme heat. We found the spring and petroglyphs up in a canyon, palm trees announcing the location. We then found the rancho. It was totally abandoned, but only recently. The small house was made of tree trunks, branches and palm fronds. The house and corrals were held together entirely by rawhide. The furniture was made of rawhide and wood. It was located south of Coyote Bay, about 1/3 up the peninsula. Later someone said a family lived there but they all became ill with tuberculosis and went somewhere for treatment. I have never been back, but always wondered if it had anything to do with Baja Patty. Maybe the dates don't match, but was curious. Anybody know?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 04:04 PM
Vince..

That was an epic sailing trip you guys made from Guaymas to Coyote Bay way back in the day. I can remember some of those great turtle dinners myself...a long time ago of course. Strictly taboo these days, Manuel tells me....

On that trip over to the peninsula and the suddenly-abandoned ranchero, we heard later from 'Blackjack', JW Black, a ramrod for Earl Stanley Garner's expeditions to Baja, that there was a 'haunted' place over there...maybe this was the place you found? Blackjack was thee best storyteller around those early campfires we had on Coyote Beach.

Baja Patty did indeed start up her horse ranch (and goats) on the same spot many years later, because of the water there.

You may have visited also the Painted Canyon, which indeed is an old aboriginal campsite of the nomadic people who once dwelled here. We camped there quite a bit back in the 70's and always could hear a slight murmur from the canyon walls....

This is a painting by them that you may recognize from your trip. And did you notice the fallen rock jammed in that crevice? An awesome place...full of demons and witchcraft...I have never dared to go back.

-0 3.jpg - 41kB

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 02:08 PM

I don't think I will chance going back either! Blackjackhelped me out once, I had my '65 Boston Whaler Montauk anchored out in front of the house on Coyote Bay, he was camped down by your place. A wind came up during the night, the next morning my boat was gone! I went down there for his help and we went out and found the boat approaching the point of rocks off to the south at the entrance to Coyote Bay. We towed it back. All because I didn't put enough scope out. That's the same boat I have now, thanks to Blackjack!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 06:04 AM
Baja Road lore

I was driving back to Conception Bay from Loreto yesterday afternoon when a semi-truck coming at me suddenly turned on his headlights. Of course I knew that the driver was warning me that there were probably cows, burros, or some danger on the road ahead...and I should take care! A great custom that has saved countless lives in this open-range country.

Unfortunately, that 'headlights on - danger ahead' signal is becoming less noticed these days...thanks to the cars that keep their headlights on all day long..grrrrrr. You can change that feature, y'know...are you listening, Canada?

This brought to mind the old customs of the Baja Road. Can you recall some of these?

Like the red Tecate can sitting on the shoulder as a roadside signal for 'stalled vehicle ahead, slow down.'

Warning rocks laid out?...now that was a real danger in itself!

Slower vechile ahead signaling you to pass with his left rear blinker?

Plus many other helpful signals invented by our resourceful Baja drivers.

What others can you come up with that were used...or still are?

p.s. Gawd...I just remembered the..uh.. legendary 'Silvia' of the old Baja Road. Does anybody else recall this character?

[Edited on 5-11-2007 by Pompano]

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 07:08 AM

Pompano,

I remember the the Tecate can warning sign. Now they are all over, considered Baja's state flower according to the late Jimmy Smith. (DEP Jimmy)

And, rocks laid out, yes. The fancy warning rocks sometimes had a single stick wedged in, with a piece of cloth attached to it like a warning flag.

That left rear blinker...that one you have to watch out for. There have been a few times after hanging back for a while that we've tried to pass, but then the driver turns LEFT!

The roads were slower and dodging pot holes was the game. I think some of these same helpful signals are still used, but today's traveler flys by at such a pace that they go unnoticed.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 07:15 AM

The left turn signal as "OK to pass" is still common on the Tecate road. You just hope and pray the truck driver isn't a gringo hater.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:02 AM
Pomp

All of the above! Mostly gone now days.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:27 AM

...ah, yes...Silvia...I'm sure Pompano can fill us in with ALL the details...
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:29 AM
HOLD THE PHONE!!

I never knew Silvia personally, but I did catch a glimpse of her/him on some rare occasions when she/him was visiting the area. Now there's a face only a mother could love!

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I never knew Silvia personally, but I did catch a glimpse of her/him on some rare occasions when she/him was visiting the area. Now there's a face only a mother could love!

Pompano

Was Silvia the blonde he-she-it witch you would come across at any given place on Mex 1- sometimes out in the middle of the desert?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 10:19 AM

You got him/her/it....Balalero. Quite a Baja Road fixture for many years. Damnedest thing you ever saw walking out in the desert or along the highway! The truckers nightmare...or not. ;D

Once I saw Silvia laying on the side of the highway near Pta. Arena...SHE/HE was laying on her back just her head and shoulders sticking out from the roadside bushes..with a plastic bouquet of roses in her hands, no less. Holy Cross-dresssers! I punched the gas to the floor before she/he could wink at me...:tumble:

If I can get by the sensors I will scrounge around and try to unearth an old photo of Silvia to post here. Aquaholic gave me one...from when they roomed together.

[Edited on 5-11-2007 by Pompano]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.