Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: BODY LIFY FOR DODGE RAM 04
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 4-28-2007 at 12:19 AM
Did you say "tug of war for pinks"?

:lol::lol: It's a little bit more than a rock-crawler Ken. I can actually take a family and bikes and so much gear anywhere I need to go. It a matter of choice. Those steps are fully functional and get used frequently. The truck has a six inch lift with 38.5 Toyos. Those offset Welds make the truck look lower with a wider wheel base. It keeps the COG way low.The tubes have never been an issue yet.
I do like the look too. My choice and it's sweet! Il ove the animal. You realize Ken you are still playing with little toys. ;D.:lol:

This pic with low tire pressure and in sand doesn't give the lift a good look.
You'd have a hard time getting me in your Jeep.;D

Here is one with my A/Ts:

trukfun_a.jpg - 50kB

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 12:32 AM

"I'm in agreement with David. You can lift all you want but the differential is still the determing factor"

Generally speaking I would agree. The third member is going to be the "lowest" part of the vehicle. A factor that usually doesn't apply in Baja is the "suction" factor. When your vehicle frame reaches the ground in muddy conditions it's like a vacuum. The whole bottom of the vehicle becomes the friction point. Best to get high with wide tires and give it da gas!!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 01:37 AM
Oops forget what I said.

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
I guess I never much paid attention to the 1/2 ton suspension.I assumed it was a 5 link like the 3/4,1 tons.I didn't even know Dodge Rams had an IFS.

Me either...

I had a brain fart. IFS is NOT the same.

Ken sorry but I've always had big trucks that are used hard. A cople buds had Jeeps that were always needing somthing and some other folks rolled their vehicles bla bla You would be interested in some of my past excursions into remote America but alas, they are not Baja related. Anyway, I enjoy your trip reports!!

Back to the subject...

IFS

[Edited on 4-28-2007 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 02:44 AM

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 07:05 AM

In 05 my son got a new gmc 4x4 and instantly spent a small fortune for a 6 in lift new tires and wheels it actually moved the rear end up a 1 1/2 inches which put it 2in above my stock cherokee with 235 16 tires , and to top that off he never went off road , i guess if some one has a need or desire to go to places like palomar canyon , a lift will help , but i am on my second cherokee and only place i have been stuck is sand and i knew better then , to each his own , but to me the lifts are not worth the trouble they ruin the ride and use lots more gas , plus i am old and feeble and can barely climb in a lifted truck
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 08:14 AM

My experience with lift kits has not been a good one. In 2000 I purchased a new 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 extended cab V10 as my work truck. Since I go to the mountains in the winter lots of snow (7500 foot level). The first thing I did was have Big O tire put a 4 inch lift on it with 35x12.50 tires. First time out of the shop bang it broke just going down the road. A bolt snapped. They replace the bolt and weld it. 6 month later the weld and bolt break. Enough is enough. I have them remove the lift. I now take it to Big Eds 4x4 and have a Skyjacker 4 inch lift installed. A few months later the steering shaft snaps in the parking lot. In looking at it there is a 1/4 inch cut section that's rusted. I figure it was from the old lift kit stress. I have the steering box replaced. About 6 months later I'm coming down the mtn in a tight twisty single lane section with a 300 foot drop off on the passenger side and the mtn embankment on the other. At about 20mph there is a loud pop like a gun going off. I lose steering and the left wheels climb the embankment then drop hard and to the other side I go. Lucky I head straight to a tree and hit it. This all happens in a matter of about 30-40 feet and it's like slow motion. Damage done, broken grill, hood, radiator and condensor, right side battery (now leaking acid), right side door and front right fender, and winshield.

I have it taken to the Dodge dealer for repairs and have the lift kit removed. Everything taken back to stock. Repair bill is $13,000. The truck never drove the same again. Rattles we couldn't find and the headlights going out sometimes when the left turn signal was on. The front wheel engagement would intermittenly go out, usually when I needed it in the snow. With in the year I traded it in. Frankly the only way I would probably ever get another lift kit is if the dealer put it on and it's under warranty from them, which I know the chevy and GMC dealers do here. But I prefer to stay stock with add a leaf in the rear and bigger tires that fit. Since all my trucks are torsion bar fronts I raise them an inch. If I had a coil spring I'd change it for extra height as necessary.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 08:31 AM

Just another opinion here........I think people should really define first what their target use will be? Then equip there vehicles accordingly........ The Earth Roamer Jeep is another "extreeme machine" as is a 10inch lifted ToyotaTacoma! You see alot out there, and its fun to talk to different folks.Over the years watching the changes is very interesting also. I have tried minamalist style small jeep camping and different other vehicles as well,and alot of exploring all over Utah as well as Baja. In Baja the strong winds are a major factor....... Give me a 4x4 big truck and a comfrotable camper to hide from the wind alot of water capacity, and fuel capacity period!!!!!!:light::light::light:
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Bajacat,is it two wheel drive?
2004 RAM 4x4 with A HEMI, IFS

Like this?:
I wish Sharks, here is my truck, stock I have only install a Airaid cold intake, billet grill and a Highlift jack . But has taking me to alot great places in Baja.(Monte video,San Borja,Bola,San vicente mission,San Fernando mission.Guadalupe canyon, Palomar canyon.) Im happy with my truck..

[Edited on 4-29-2007 by BAJACAT]

2004 ram.JPG - 43kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 11:11 PM
Redesigned

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
My experience with lift kits has not been a good one. In 2000 I purchased a new 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 extended cab V10 as my work truck. Since I go to the mountains in the winter lots of snow (7500 foot level). The first thing I did was have Big O tire put a 4 inch lift on it with 35x12.50 tires. First time out of the shop bang it broke just going down the road. A bolt snapped. They replace the bolt and weld it. 6 month later the weld and bolt break. Enough is enough. I have them remove the lift. I now take it to Big Eds 4x4 and have a Skyjacker 4 inch lift installed. A few months later the steering shaft snaps in the parking lot. In looking at it there is a 1/4 inch cut section that's rusted. I figure it was from the old lift kit stress. I have the steering box replaced. About 6 months later I'm coming down the mtn in a tight twisty single lane section with a 300 foot drop off on the passenger side and the mtn embankment on the other. At about 20mph there is a loud pop like a gun going off. I lose steering and the left wheels climb the embankment then drop hard and to the other side I go. Lucky I head straight to a tree and hit it. This all happens in a matter of about 30-40 feet and it's like slow motion. Damage done, broken grill, hood, radiator and condensor, right side battery (now leaking acid), right side door and front right fender, and winshield.

I have it taken to the Dodge dealer for repairs and have the lift kit removed. Everything taken back to stock. Repair bill is $13,000. The truck never drove the same again. Rattles we couldn't find and the headlights going out sometimes when the left turn signal was on. The front wheel engagement would intermittenly go out, usually when I needed it in the snow. With in the year I traded it in. Frankly the only way I would probably ever get another lift kit is if the dealer put it on and it's under warranty from them, which I know the chevy and GMC dealers do here. But I prefer to stay stock with add a leaf in the rear and bigger tires that fit. Since all my trucks are torsion bar fronts I raise them an inch. If I had a coil spring I'd change it for extra height as necessary.

That sucks TW. Was that a 2500 ?

Wiki explains:

2002-2005: The DR Trucks
The third-generation Ram debuted for 2003. This represented a major update including all new frame, suspension, powertrains, interiors, and sheetmetal. It included an even larger grille, and special models kept interest up as most competitors had adopted the Ram's separate-fender look. The Cummins ISB Diesel was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2004. The four wheel drive light duty trucks (1500 series) lost their live axles in trade for an independent front suspension, but the heavy duty (2500 and 3500 series) retained the live axles for maximum durability and load capacity.

---------------------

You are not alone. I have heard horror stories about lifted Dodge Rams pre 2002.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
You realize Ken you are still playing with little toys. ;D.:lol:

Small toys, but BIG rocks!!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 12:23 AM
Jus messin' witcha Ken!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Jeeps are fun just a bit scary :lol:

I think you have a whole lotta fun in those thangs. Good on you! I like to watch you guys push the limits. It's not an easy task to tackle tough places and document that event! How about installing a video cam on the underside of yer roll-cage. That would be cool. You could Youtube it!:lol:

Hey wait a sec. I already have that!:lol: I'll go snap a photo of my A/V computer setup. Gives a person a different set of tools to enjoy and use.

btw, thanks for all the reports and pics!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 12:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Jeeps are fun just a bit scary :lol:

I think you have a whole lotta fun in those thangs. Good on you! I like to watch you guys push the limits. It's not an easy task to tackle tough places and document that event! How about installing a video cam on the underside of yer roll-cage. That would be cool. You could Youtube it!:lol:

Hey wait a sec. I already have that!:lol: I'll go snap a photo of my A/V computer setup. Gives a person a different set of tools to enjoy and use.

btw, thanks for all the reports and pics!

No problem. Thinking back to the Copper Canyon trip, the Jeeps performed so much better than the full-sized pickups because of their tires, shorter wheelbase on the trails, but also lighter weight. I'd love a fullsize pickup for daily use, but can't afford more than 1 vehicle...

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 08:50 AM

Remember guys size doesn't matter, or it does?..:lol::lol:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 11:33 AM

yes:rolleyes:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 08:06 PM

Quote:

...here is my truck, stock I have only install a Airaid cold intake, billet grill and a Highlift jack ...

Just curious if you have tried the jack to make sure you have points around the vehicle to support it properly. From the looks of the photo, you will need a Hi-Lift lift-mate or a bumper attachment to use it since the lower edge of the bumpers are curved so much.

[Edited on 4-30-2007 by bajataco]

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2007 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco
Quote:

...here is my truck, stock I have only install a Airaid cold intake, billet grill and a Highlift jack ...

Just curious if you have tried the jack to make sure you have points around the vehicle to support it properly. From the looks of the photo, you will need a Hi-Lift lift-mate or a bumper attachment to use it since the lower edge of the bumpers are curved so much.

[Edited on 4-30-2007 by bajataco]
Taco I bought the bumper attachment and the jack base support and I know it will work in the rear but the from is a diff. story.I will have to come up with something for the front bumper. lucky for me in all my trips to baja from San Diego to Cabo,no flats yet..but good eye Taco.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.