Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rattlesnake Recipies
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

thumbup.gif posted on 4-27-2007 at 02:57 PM
Rattlesnake Recipies

All the posts about Rattlers earlier in the month got me thinking about what to do when I run into an unwanted visitor at the campsite. I don't mind snakes in general, but since my dog seems to LOVE them, and as rattlesnakes are so prolific in Baja, I've decided it's more than OK to dispatch them when I run across them.
The fact that they're also quite tasty when cooked right has obviously influenced my decision! Mmmm...:spingrin:

I've been looking around the web or a couple of new recipies, and I came across an article with some useful info (Link: http://www.backwoodsbound.com/ysnake.html)
and these two reicipes as well. Can't wait to try them out!

Once you have a western diamondback rattlesnake, and it is dead, the next order of business is to skin and clean it. To skin a rattlesnake, turn the snake belly side up. Start at the head and make an incision down his stomach to the tail where white meets black. Assuming you want to keep the hide, cut through the meat at the tail and simply peel the meat from the hide. It will come off with little difficulty. You gut the snake and wash it off in cold water. The snake's
mouth is still dangerous in that there is residual venom and you must take care not to handle the head. However, you should not be concerned with eating venom tainted meat as it will not hurt you.
Cut the rattlesnake into 3 inch pieces and freeze in water. Do not leave a lot of meat at either the head or tail because, if you choose to tan the hide, you will have to "flesh" the snake anyway. Why waste good meat?

Rattlesnakes can be cooked like most other meats including grilling, roasting and frying. However, there are some subtleties that will help the novice chef in preparing what should be a very delectable meal. The meat of the rattlesnake will have a thick part (near the spine) and a thin part on the lower part of the ribs. Thus, when cooking by frying or grilling, the lower part of the ribs will cook
quickest and may tend to dry out or become overcooked using any of those methods. There is not the same problem in roasting or baking using a moist heat (i.e., sauces or plain water). The lower part of the rib meat will be tender as the "brisket". Note the following two recipes use one of each method, specifically "moist" baking and "dry frying." Most individuals will want the meat well done, but the author could not find a reason why slightly undercooked
rattlesnake would be harmful. Think of it as "Texas sushi."
The meat of the snake is tasty. It always bothers me when someone says it tastes "a lot like chicken". It doesn't taste a lot like chicken. Probably the best way to describe the taste of a western diamondback rattlesnake is to ask how it was prepared. If you prepare the snake like chicken, it will taste a little like chicken. If you prepare the snake like fish, it will taste like fish. You might say "rattlesnake....the other white meat." One thing that is agreed upon is that the meat is a little stringy. It is a little like quail and more like Cornish game hen, but as an analogy, probably closer to pork. Here are a couple of recipes that will enhance your table at breakfast or dinner time.

Fried Rattlesnake and Ham Gravy Great for Breakfast.

~ 1 24" to 30" skinned and cleaned western diamondback rattlesnake, cut into 3" to 4" pieces
~ drippings of 6 slices of bacon
~ 3/4 cup oil
~ 3/4 lb. cooked ham, diced
~ 2 cups milk
~ 1 tbs brewed coffee
~ 1/2 cup flour (1 tbs reserved)
~ biscuits or toast
~ salt and pepper
~ tabasco sauce, optional

* In a cast iron skillet, fry the bacon. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings

* Add the oil to the drippings. Flour rattlesnake and fry over medium heat until golden brown.

* Remove each piece as it becomes done and drain on paper towels.

* Drain off the oil and drippings reserving 1 tbs. Add 1 tbs of flour. Stir and scrape bottom of the skillet to remove any browned stuck pieces.

* Add the ham, coffee and milk. Stir until bubbly. If too thick add water, coffee or milk a tablespoon at a time.

* Serve the rattlesnake with biscuits or toast and the ham gravy.

* Salt and pepper and/or season with tabasco sauce to taste.

* Serves 2 -3.

Variation: Try ground sausage instead of ham.

Baked Western Diamondback Rattlesnake This dish is appropriate for a formal dinner.

Cream Sauce
~ 1 tbs butter
~ 1 tbs flour
~ 1/4 tsp salt
~ 1/8 tsp black pepper
~ 1 cup half & half or whole milk

Entree
~ 1 24" to 30" skinned & cleaned western diamondback rattlesnake
~ 1 cream sauce
~ 4 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
~ 1 lime thinly sliced
~ 1 tsp white pepper
~ 1 tsp dried basil
~ 1 tsp rosemary

* Melt the butter in a medium size non-stick skillet over low heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper. Cook until combined.

* Add cream and increase heat to medium and stir until bubbly. Remove from heat.

* Cut snake into 3" pieces. Place snake in a casserole dish and top with the cream sauce. Top with remaining ingredients.

* Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.

* Serves 2 - 3.

The above recipes are adaptations from the originals which can be found in the Complete Fish & Game Cookbook by A.D Livingston (copyright 1996) and Mesquite Country Tastes & Traditions From The Tip Of Texas, (recipe by Faye
Carter), Hidalgo County Historical Museum (copyright 1996).

I'll let you other Nomads know as soon as I've had a chance to try these two out, but I'm afraid it won't be until next month. In the meantime, please post if you get a chance to try these yourself! Suerte!.. Cameron
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 03:59 PM

Cameron,

I've always wanted to try it myself. I keep square nosed shovels in handy places around our trailers just in case one wanders in (which they have in the past). If we're out and about and see one we never kill them, specially if they don't pose a threat to my family or to other people. Since I made the decision to add one to the menu, they've stayed far, far away from our camp. Just my luck.

I think they're beautiful, from afar.

We came upon this one already dead in the road.

P<*)))><

Edit: added photos

[Edited on 27-4-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 07:35 PM

Great recipes there Cameron.

Though not one of my favorite foods , I tried snattlerake a couple of different ways, and wouldn't hesitate to eat it if fixed right.. Seems like most recipes attempt to cover up the nuances of the flesh - as they should . That goes for monkey- face eel too.

If you chose to kill and eat one I'd suggest waiting for a extra grande to come along . You'll be able to find some meat through all the bones then.

The best way I've had it is ,
skin it fresh
cut into sections
soak in buttermilk overnight
remove from soak , roll in seasoned flour and deep fry like chicken ,

dont over cook it as this will add to the toughness
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 06:13 AM

why buttermilk?
who has buttermilk in the fridg? YUK

is there a subsitute....
i hate to run to the store after the "kill":saint:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
why buttermilk?
who has buttermilk in the fridg? YUK

is there a subsitute....
i hate to run to the store after the "kill":saint:

What , you don't like buttermilk? Try it chocolate flavored like I use to when I was a kid . YUM :lol:

I'm told the buttermilks' acidity helps tenderize and takes some of the skank out of the meat

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen buttermilk in Baja
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 01:51 PM

Mix a little vinegar with regular milk, it'll clabber it up and make it taste and look like buttermilk.:)
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 02:03 PM

1 Cup buttermilk = 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar plus enough regular milk to make a cup

since all I can get here is limes a good sub for 1 tbsp lemon juice would be 1 tsp lime juice as they're more acidic than lemons.

another sub is 1 cup of milk with 1 3/4 tbsp creme of tartar (ricotta cheese can be make this way if allowed to curd and separated from the whey (liquid))

I love to cook! :tumble:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.