Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Best Taco Stands Thread
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISWhen did they enter into the realm of national identity here?

Aztec legend regarding the founding of their capitol is the basis for the inclusion of the eagle on the flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Mexico

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 04:10 PM

I meant the Quesotaco?
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I meant the Quesotaco?

Hmmm. Well, clearly it would have to post-date the advent of cheesemaking in Mexico, which would have had to occur after the Spanish conquest when the Spanish imported milk-producing livestock. The taco goes back millenia, but they wouldn't have had any cheese to put in it prior to the late 15th century. That's about the best I can do.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 05:18 PM
Dennis

Quote:
I meant the Quesotaco?

i think you meant Quetzacoatl?

:P:?::light::lol::yes:

images.jpg - 5kB

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 05:29 PM
Not Baja but...

...just across the river for those headed to Rocky Point or down the mainland. In San Luis R.C., Sonora, it's El Chipilon (Crybaby's) on Revolucion between 22nd and 23rd.

No feesh (this ain't the coast), but great Sonoran beef. The namesake taco, the Chipilon, is essentially carne asada and cheese and a wide slice of mild green chile. Also recommended is the Vampira, basically a beef tostada. Open air, but shaded seating. No lunch, unfortunately. They open around 4pm.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Hmmm. Well, clearly it would have to post-date the advent of cheesemaking in Mexico, which would have had to occur after the Spanish conquest when the Spanish imported milk-producing livestock.

What? Yo Mama never produced a drop of milk? Who's to say it never produced a cheese and yoghurt industry in Aztlan?
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Hmmm. Well, clearly it would have to post-date the advent of cheesemaking in Mexico, which would have had to occur after the Spanish conquest when the Spanish imported milk-producing livestock.

What? Yo Mama never produced a drop of milk? Who's to say it never produced a cheese and yoghurt industry in Aztlan?

Ahem. Leaving my mother out of it, my research indicates that the French experimented with human breast milk cheesemaking in the 19th century (several sources say it's not possible because of the relative level of protein -- I wouldn't know). In any event, due to the volume of milk needed to make cheese, you'd need to have the functional equivalent of a substantial livestock industry to make enough cheese that it would become part of the country's indigenous diet. Besides, even if I were eating grasshopper tacos before beef, pork, goat, chicken, etc., were introduced into the diet by the Spanish, I'd still find the concept of human cheese more than a little unsettling. Human sacrifice to appease the gods, on the other hand, would have been a fact of life, so . . . .

Back to our normal programming, hopefully.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:
I meant the Quesotaco?

i think you meant Quetzacoatl?

:P:?::light::lol::yes:

Woody, that qualifies as the best Mexican pun I have seen on the boards in the last couple years. VERY GOOD!

And I do love inventive use of language.........

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 09:21 AM

my wife and i will be heading south to points untold a week from tomorrow for 5 days. we're leaving SD at 1-2pm and want to know where is a good stand from ensenada to around the turn to la bufadora. we're gonna be hungry about that time so anyplace on the hiway will be best so we can keep heading south.

if not, we'll just mack-out at the fish market when we stock up on mariscos for the trip!!!!!

[Edited on 8-23-2007 by woody in ob]

bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:08 AM

One of my favorites is Dos Hermanos in Ejido Chapultepec, approximately 20 minutes south of Ensenada.prior to the turnoff for La Bufadora. It is on the right (west) side of Highway 1 right at the turn off to the Estero Beach Resort just north of the Pemex station. There is a taqueria two doors over that they get their hot, fresh, thick, corn tortillas from. I do not think the taqueria will still be open but Dos Hemanos will be. In fact when we were going through there back on August 12th, I noticed that they have rotisserie chickens in the front window as well. Reminded me of El Charro in Ensenada. Enjoy!
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:13 AM

REad the thrEAd wood man. The area you are asking about has been covered extensively in this thread, complete with pictures.:?:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:35 AM

yeah, i've been through so many times that i forget what is where in relation to everywhere else:?:. i'll give it a closer inspection this time through.

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:45 AM

My fav is Recreo, but El Poblano is good too. Hard to go wrong either way. I there are also a few new one that have popped up and look quite good. Happy Trails Amigo.:bounce:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 03:39 PM

Minnow..............Lupita's is also great for fish tacos in the area.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 08:51 AM

Can someone shed some light on how to get to yaquis?

yuletide
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 06:41 PM
Yaquis Tacos in Rosarito?

If that is the place you are asking about, it is one block east of the main boulevard in Rosarito (Benito Juarez - as is every other main boulevard in Mexico so named).

If you are coming from the north on the Cuota (pay road), exit at the third offramp, the one with the arch. Tjr first intersection is one way street going to your left. The second intersection is a one way street going to your right. Turn right on that and go appoximately four blocks or 1/4'ish of a mile and look for the gravel parking lot on the corner to your right.

Yaqui's is a well-signed, small and modest one-story open-air establishment with trees and picnic tables in the lot (and clean bathrooms!); just look for a mass of parked cars and people in line. Business hours are I-don't-know-how-early to 4 pm. Closed Wednesdays.

We had lunch there last week - still consistently great. I took my second taco Perrones con todo home w/grilled chiles. It was tasty and deliciousl when reheated two days later.

Funny side story, hubby was involved with a collision when some bad guys were trying to do a U-turn out of the army inspection on the free road a few months ago. They crashed and hung up on the ball hitch of our truck.

The army guys wanted to detain my husband for questioning, as well, but, when the officer arrived, he said, "I know you...you go to Yaquis, you have beautiful dogs! Pasale, senor!"

(Apologies to Oso and all our other Spanish grammaticists, I stil haven't found that key reference that allows the correct upside-down-front-of-sentence punctuation.)

[Edited on 8-25-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 8-25-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 07:18 PM

There is also a Yaqui on the south side of Ensenada. BUT, a stand not yet mentioned (at least through using the search function and assuming it was spelled correctly) is El Pique. Going south from Ensenada on the Reforma, it is just past the FEMA Ford dealer on your right hand side -- go through the intersection, first building is Cisco Tile -- then there is El Pique. These are various meat tacos - VERY inexpensive and we heard open 24x7. These are very excellent meat tacos. As mentioned by Fred on an earlier post - if you want fish tacos -- hang a right at the Y toward Bufadora and you'll find Lupita's stand right by the Albercas Ramos maybe 1/4 mile up on your right hand side. She is always closed Tuesday but yesterday (Thursday) when we went by she was also closed...something different - check the thread on Marco Antonio's in Ensenada -- only open 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Mon-Sat (between 3rd & 4th on Rayon) -- you have to hit this place at the right time.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
As mentioned by Fred on an earlier post - if you want fish tacos -- hang a right at the Y toward Bufadora and you'll find Lupita's stand right by the Albercas Ramos maybe 1/4 mile up on your right hand side. She is always closed Tuesday but yesterday (Thursday) when we went by she was also closed...something different - check the thread on Marco Antonio's in Ensenada -- only open 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Mon-Sat (between 3rd & 4th on Rayon) -- you have to hit this place at the right time.

I like consistancy in roadside restaurants. Flavor, price, ingenuity, freshness, attitude and reliability.
Maybe Lupita doesn't foot the bill but, she seems to be consistantly closed.
Great food though.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 07:38 PM

"Flavor, price, ingenuity, freshness, attitude and reliability.
Maybe Lupita doesn't foot the bill but, she seems to be consistantly closed. "

it's usually not your appetite that is the first to notice things are going downhill. mama espinoza can relate!!!:light:

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 08:16 PM

She isn't consistently closed but you can't count on her being open... :(

[Edited on 4-14-2008 by bajabound2005]

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.