Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Picacho del Diablo TR
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 10:54 PM

Really love the photos Andy... soooo good!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 12:54 AM

Thanks for sharing the report and pics.
We made it as far as the ranger station in March in our 24' motor home and the road from there was closed due to snow and ice.
Parque San Pedro Martir is a magnificent place and a real surprise for those of us who have only been in the desert, on the beaches and in the hills of Baja. I very much appreciate being able to see what we could not on our trip.
What a great place that must have been to live for the native people. We did see a deer crossing the road in deep timber, the first I have seen in Baja.
Thanks again.

Iflyfish
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish

Parque San Pedro Martir is a magnificent place and a real surprise for those of us who have only been in the desert, on the beaches and in the hills of Baja.

We did see a deer crossing the road in deep timber, the first I have seen in Baja.
Thanks again.

Iflyfish

Yes, I agree that the Parque is a FAR diffrerent world from what most people think about when they think of Baja. It certainly was that way for me when I first went up there.

We saw quite a few deer in the Parque. I can see why there was a hunting cabin (Llanitos) built there!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 11:49 AM

Andy-------tho I never got the job done myself, I sure lurked all around that mountain way back when (early 50's, and on) and spent a lot of time on the plateau to the west of Picacho considering the "mountain", and if I should try to climb it. Several times I sat on top of "Blue Bottle" considering it. I salute you for actually "doing it", and living to tell us vividly of your great experience and accomplishment.

As I remember, you used the route first pioneered by Ed "Bud" Bernhard back in the '50's, and the route considered the most viable by him, tho he did investigate several other routes. Bud led many of my friends and relatives up that mountain via that route, and they usually took much longer than you did to accomplish it, I believe (like several days).

Loved your report, and your pics.

Many thanks.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 12:08 PM

Barry,

From what I can gather, the Night Wash/SlotWash/WallStreet route that we followed is indeed the route Bud Bernhard pioneered, and is now pretty much the "standard" route up the mountain. Our total truck to truck time was right around 53 hours. I have read accounts of people who "dayhike" the mountain in as few as 15+ hours, a feat I simply can not imagine.

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2007 at 12:18 PM
Speaking of "Bud" Bernhard------

------I just heard that Bud, now about 84, is again out of the hospital and back in his home, tho in quite poor health-----his home being in either Coronado or San Diego, not sure which now.

An eccentric, but true pioneer, and hero of early Baja exploration by us "modern" types.

Barry
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2007 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
------I just heard that Bud, now about 84, is again out of the hospital and back in his home, tho in quite poor health-----his home being in either Coronado or San Diego, not sure which now.

An eccentric, but true pioneer, and hero of early Baja exploration by us "modern" types.

Barry

If anyone knows how to contact Bud Bernhard, I'd be happy to share my photos with him.

JBL Noel
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2007 at 09:30 AM

Andy------I may be able to help you out on finding Bud---------but not sure yet. Check your u2u to see what I can offer.

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 08:45 AM

We had a deer visit us at the beach in Bahia de los Animas once upon a time (and lots and lots of coyotes)

Pretty unusual, but they do seem to be scattered all over. Can't immagine where they get their fresh water to drink.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2007 at 10:16 AM

Speaking of deer...

We were on way out to the Seven Sisters once and saw a healthy looking deer high tailing it across a hill. As we rounded the bend in the road, here came an equaliy healthy looking coyote behind it. (In retrospect, I think the coyote may have been having delusions of grandure!)

But I remember being surprised to see a deer in that remote desert region. I guess they'll live where ever they can find food and water.

JBL Noel
ms4jah

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 05:29 PM

Great trip report, so detailed! congrats on making it to the top. There is so much I could respond to, but just a couple of points-

We did experience the ring tail cat at Campo Noche (which is really a mexican style raccoon) and he did steal some of our food one time, and did sniff/ touch around our sleeping heads, although that was years ago. Haven't seen him in recent trips.

Regarding comments about shack area being off Limits:

That gate blocking the way to the shack is normally chained (locked). Although I've know the main park Ranger named Alfredo for over 20 years, so on my recent trip, he lent me the key to the gate so we were able to drive to the shack. They (Park bureaucrats back at headquarters somewhere) have made a lot of new restrictions on human impact aimed at conservation. So expect driving access to the shack to be restricted always. But the hiking from the Padre Kino parking area at teepee type structure (end of road) is some of the prettiest in the area so it's no big loss if that gate is always locked.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 08:06 PM

way to resurrect a 4 year old thread. i missed it or i have lost the brain cells that retained this info....

Andy is an animal. he is the first Nomad i met "out there!"

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.