Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tamale recipes?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 12:17 PM
Tamale recipes?

Gonna make some tamales!:tumble:Help!:spingrin:Any advice/ recipes/ instructions will be appreciated.:D:D
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 12:37 PM

Can't wait for the recipe! Had some last week from Nayo's Secret Garden here inTS.
Cruz wrapped them in mustard greens this time. Made them square instead of the usuall shape. They were fabulous!!:wow:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 01:05 PM

Use parchment paper and dont mess with those goofy corn husks. They add authenticity but no flavor. With the paper you can make them larger with more filling. And, as long as you're breaking from tradition, fill them with whatever sounds good. I've filled them with canned chili and beans as well as other stuff Mexicans would never consider.
Tamales are a lot of work so, make lots of them. They freeze well.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 01:35 PM

Marie Rose,:D Wrapped in mustard greens! :) I'm thinking collard greens would be a good substitute.:)Big leaves!! Thanks for the enlightenment.:D
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 01:39 PM

Also try the leaves of Idaho banana trees.... yummy!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 03:22 PM

clean cardboard:biggrin:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 06:43 PM

There are a couple of books available from Barnes and Noble:

Tamales

Tamales 101

Go to Barnes and Noble online.......BOOKS......type in TAMALES and you'll see both.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 06:47 PM

Oh yeah........ I have both of those books and I'm going through them now looking for the "clean cardboard" section. If Sharky said it, it has to be true.
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Marie Rose,:D Wrapped in mustard greens! :) I'm thinking collard greens would be a good substitute.:)Big leaves!! Thanks for the enlightenment.:D

Now that gives me a down home idea there Cypress ..

Using Hooks recipe that he posted for "Bandera's corn bread " , spread and wrapped in a collard leaf , stuffed with some green chile stewed pork , might be worth a try. Serve with a little chipotle vinegar sauce and a cold Bohemia.

And the whole thing is edible

Maybe

?

[Edited on 5-4-2007 by Bajalero]
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 07:36 PM

There are three kinds I mostly make: chicken in red sauce in corn husk; sweet tamalitos with pineapple and currents; and pumpkin and chipotle black bean wrapped in banana leaves. If anyone wants specific recipes let me know.

I second the advice that tamales, being a labor intensive activity, you should make lots of them...also they should be made with the help of other people...making tamales is a group activity. Just my personal advise based upon experience, but I think you should wait until the tamales are steaming before hitting the tequila.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.