Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta Baja = Real Baja
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 01:51 PM
Punta Baja = Real Baja

Well, my mini-trip went to the plan for the most part.
The main mission was to drop my FM-3 in Ensenada to be registered and I did that no problem. If you need to register there and want to use an agent try Aida. She is very nice and no BS.
Cleared the border Wens around noon and stopped at Migration to get my FM stamped. 1st time I've stopped there and now probably last. It was easy but I did overshoot it a little and had to turn back from the secondary inspection lane. It an immediate right after the red/green lights.
Cruised on down to Ensenada and got lost for a while looking for Aida at 1855 Sixth Street. Finally found it and she was closed from 2-4pm. Was hungry so drove a little and found a restuarant full of locals so I tried it. I don't remember the name but it was across for the big church on sixth. It was okay but not my style of cooking. Greasy stringy shredded beef. Oh well. Back to Aida's and dropped my FM3.
Over to Motel Colon. Nice little place $27/night. Clean enough and nice little courtyard to park in. Rooms have a little kitchenette but I didn't use it.
Got cleaned up and walked down Lopez Mateos to the nightclub area. Never had been there so was interesting. Went to a fish taco stand by the fishmarket. Two tacos 80 cents each. Pretty good.
Went to Perris night club and watched a couple of dancers. Fell in love with one beauty and decided to get the heck out before she got ALL my pesos. Back to the Colon for a good night's sleep and reasonably early departure in the manana.
Stopped on my way out of town at a little mercado by the base for some fresh fruit. Cheap and tasty.
Stopped at home depot to price building materials. 1) 4 x 8 x 16 cement block 90 pesos. Bag of cement between 50 and 100 pesos. I don't know if that's a good price but now I have a baseline.
Back on the road. Stopped at the new Pemex in San Vincente for coffee. Clean and nice. Noticed the wind was picking up
As I approach Colonet I can see a sahara type sand storm ahead. Never seen that before.
I stop in Camalu to look at some beachfront lots forsale. Wind incredible. Nothing too impressive but it's the beach so I'm sure someone will buy them eventually. Too windy so don't stay long.
On into the sand storm to SQ. Fish tacos at a roadside stand. $1 apiece. Much tastier than Ensenada.
Out to my fish camp(that's what I'm calling my patch of dirt now). Pull up and flush about 30 quail out of the bushes on my lot. See a few friends who live there and notice black brant geese still in the bay. Stragglers I guess.
Getting late and near dusk so on to El Roserio. Gets dark as I head into the hills and the hardest part is the truck headlights I can't see the edge of the road as they approach. Note to self: don't do that again!
Baja Cactus: very nice. Normally I stay at Valle San Quintin hotel but make the extra drive because to Nomads have liked Cactus some much. Not disappointed.
Quick shower and over to Mama Espanosa's. Best halibut fillet ever. Not to be missed. Super friendly. Eva, Mama's daughter, very nice to me.
Back to Cactus. Up early and drive out to Punta Baja. Doubt my sanity for a while as I wonder if I've made a wrong turn. Finally see the light and know I'm there. Totally unglamorous fish camp. I love it! Very windy so not much activity. Two boats haul up as I'm there. One loaded with big halibut. The other has about a 4 foot long white seabass. I'm in baja heaven. No english from the pangeros and not much patiences for my poor spanish but friendly to me. Fish cleaned and retreat from the wind to their shackes and I'm alone on Punta Baja with a strong wind in my face. I don't want to leave. I want to be a mexican pangero and forget about the rest of the world. Run away from home and join the baja fishing circus.
Back in the truck and baja 1000 my way back to the pavement. I need to get to the book signing at the Pyramind and I'm about 175 miles away. Stop at the Pemex but no air hose to fill my tires back up. Wander in town and find a little mechanic shop and they fix me up.
Back to Ensenada and pick up my passport and land documents from Aida. 3-4 weeks and my FM3 will be ready at migration. Why so long? I don't even ask. Back to Colon. Drive down to the clubs this time and park by El Rey Sol. Two carne asada tacos at Tacos De Sol $1 each. Delicious.
Walk around a little. Friday night and the place is hopping. No Perris night club this night. Back to Colon. On my way home on Sat and stop at book signing. Was going to stay for 1-2 hours and stayed 4 hours. Much fun. Didn't meet everyone but they'll be a next time. Back to Costa Mesa, Ca. my home.

Must get back to Punta Baja...
can't get that place out of my mind...my soul...don't want to.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 03:50 PM

Excellent vibe...can utterly relate to wanting to drop out and be a panguero.

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
I bet there is considerably less romance when trying to survive on their level of income.

There is also a certain level of danger they face(going so far out with a single engine.)

Hey Grover, you killing my buzz with all your reality talk!
But I know what you're saying.
I asked them to take me out but I got the impression that it was dangerous enough without an inexperienced gringo on board. They didn't say that but they didn't need to either. I could tell. But I'm going to ask again!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 05:21 PM

Great trip report Mike, thanks for making the extra effort to come to the Book Signing this weekend!

C-ya in Baja sometime...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Great trip report Mike, thanks for making the extra effort to come to the Book Signing this weekend!

C-ya in Baja sometime...

Yeah it was great talking to you and your wife. That book signing was a great way to cap the trip.
I wanted every book but limited myself to one. Graham Machintosh, "Into a desert place". It's making me even more Bajaloco!

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 05:51 PM

Ya, I bought God and Mr. Gomez 10 years ago and ended up building a house because of it, at the actual location of the book's story.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 06:11 PM

It was very nice meeting you fishbuck (Mike)!

[Edited on 5-8-2007 by David K]

Book5 018r.JPG - 32kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2007 at 10:33 PM

Same here Fishbuck I really enjoy your flying stories,it was a pleasure meeting you

Books that I bought,All three from Bernie+(free Bouncing around Baja sticker)
One from graham
In the shadow of a volcano by the late Mike H..

[Edited on 5-8-2007 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Quote:
I bet there is considerably less romance when trying to survive on their level of income.

There is also a certain level of danger they face(going so far out with a single engine.) Quite a few years ago a real nice guy named Chago(Santiago) went out from Punta San Carlos(south of Punta Baja about 30 miles) and was never heard from again.

Thanks for sucking out the aloha, Grover. ;D

I'd also like to continue my Misery Tourist trip by working as a Bombay shipbreaker.

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 11:07 AM

Punta Baja.... A pretty cool place. Spent some good times out there in the past couple of years. I'd like to take my tin boat out there and launch it.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 11:16 AM

That stretch has the old school grit.
The blown-out fish camp a couple of hours south has been referred to as Fecal Point.
You KNOW there're some mondo WSB finning around that zone.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
That stretch has the old school grit.
The blown-out fish camp a couple of hours south has been referred to as Fecal Point.
You KNOW there're some mondo WSB finning around that zone.

Fecal Point? That doesn't sound good. Can you explain that a little better.
I took a picture of the big sea bass and will try to post it eventually.

Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 02:20 PM

Just a gag (pun intended) name for Fernando.
The arroyo camp spot is filled with broken glass, rusted nails, and flash-dried growlers.

SteveU

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 10:45 AM
Anyone seen decent surf at Punta Baja?

I've checked it out just a couple of times, spent the night a little up the bay once, but have never seen "surfable" waves. The point itself looks like it would pick up a south swell perfectly!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveU
I've checked it out just a couple of times, spent the night a little up the bay once, but have never seen "surfable" waves. The point itself looks like it would pick up a south swell perfectly!

I know what you mean about the point itself... looks like it would break nice on the right swell. Never seen it do that yet.

South of the point there are a few places that break nice. I've only ridden it knee-waist high, but you could ride it for a LONG way. Again, looks like it would be killer on the right swell. That whole area south of the point is one big long shelf/reef. It breaks shallow with the occasional rock or two, but the wave has a nice shape.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Just a gag (pun intended) name for Fernando.
The arroyo camp spot is filled with broken glass, rusted nails, and flash-dried growlers.

and a burned out Panga...needs a good cleaning, a good rain would help...

Cool report..heading for that zone next month...can't wait.

DSCN1199.JPG - 47kB
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 01:02 PM

Was talking about Newcamp proper...yours looks positively pristine!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 01:12 PM

"God and Mr. Gomez":yes:
Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 5-22-2007 at 08:19 PM

Is it possible to tow a 15' tin boat out to Punta Baja with 4WD? And launch?
Would launching require taking boat off of trailer and sliding down to water.
By looking at Google earth it looks to be pretty protected on the south side of point. It appears as if the vehicle tracks go right to the waters edge.
Any help? Any pics?

Thanks in advance.

Bajabuzz
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-22-2007 at 08:20 PM

Punta Baja and beyond, road log & photos: http://vivabaja.com/1205

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.