Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Has it been done?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 03:01 PM

It does not matter how many people have done it before and wrote about it. Do it! Do it in your own style, and write about it.

It will be your adventure, and your story---and that will be an original.

Good Luck
Diane

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Fishbuck:
"Cruising the Sea of Cortez" by Spencer Murray-Revised-1967 is an excellent Book to get and read!~
Skeet/Loreto

Skeet I bought that one off of ebay from nomad dean miller. Great read. I particularly like the part where the bull rampages thru La Paz.

Fishbuck, It has been done many times, but don't let that stop you. Go for it. 4baja even has a friend who bought a new boat/18ft bayrunner in San Diego, and was going to fish as fish south as Ensenada. He ended up in La Paz a week later and had to call his Girlfriend to bring the trailer down. I would have loved to have heard how that conversation went.

I also met some Guys in Gonzaga Bay, they were going from SF to Keno Bay in a big Cruiser. They claimed to have done the entire peninsula on Jet ski's. They were very believable as they were in about a million dollar boat.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 03:34 PM
Well, here ya go...

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20070508/463ff5c...

"Swiss solar boat completes fuel-free Atlantic voyage"

"BASEL, Switzerland - A Swiss-built solar vessel arrived in New York Tuesday on what the group behind the project said was the first sun-powered voyage across the Atlantic.

Dubbed "sun21," the catamaran reached North Cove Marina after a journey of six months and some 13,000 kilometers (over 8,000 miles) from Chipiona, Spain, to the Caribbean island of Martinique and then along the U.S. East Coast to New York, the Switzerland-based group transatlantic21 said in a statement.

According to the organization, the 14 meter-boat (46 foot) produced 2,000 kilowatt hours of solar energy during its voyage thanks to a roof of photovoltaic panels mounted above the twin-hulled design.

The solar energy was used to power the boat's electric motors and any surplus was stored in batteries, allowing it to travel at a constant speed of 56 knots (1012 kilometers or 6-7 miles per hour) day or night, the group's Web site said.

The group said this showed the crossing can be made entirely without fuel, a claim which could not be independently verified.

"This proves that in our modern society it is indeed possible to travel the world efficiently and still safeguard the environment," said the boat's skipper, Michael Thonney."

but I think their speed numbers are a little screwed up

Neil

more info: http://www.transatlantic21.org/

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Okay, Carlos beat me to it. I'll need to put a diferent spin on it.
The paralels are uncanny. His was mid-life approaching 50 years angst and I just turned 48 last month. I'll need to read the rest of his story.
Okay how about this. The first to single handed to fish my way for the upper Cortez to Cabo using solar power?
Solar panels and a big electric trolling motor. No fossil fuel. An eco-trip! I make a T-top out of a big solar panel!

[Edited on 5-8-2007 by neilmac]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Make sure you have someone explain to you what a westerly is:lol:
BAITCAST

Ok, I'll bite. What's a westerly?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
BAITCAST

You already said that. Short term memory loss. NOT GOOD! Go to the medicine man "kimosabe":no:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 11:27 PM

Sounds like a great adventure. But that bit about bartering your fish for the things you need makes me wonder--do you mean with people living on the coast? Anybody know if they're willing to do that?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Sounds like a great adventure. But that bit about bartering your fish for the things you need makes me wonder--do you mean with people living on the coast? Anybody know if they're willing to do that?

bajalera, I think it could still work in some cases. I used to trade a cabrilla or any good food-fish for my laundry done at the Mulege laundromat many years ago. It sure beat washing them on a scrub board at our beach camp.

I love the barter system. :yes:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
"Cruising the Sea of Cortez" by Spencer Murray-Revised-1967

An excellent book. This book, along with slides and photos from my dad's early trips to Baja are what started the "fever" in me. Alas, I loaned my copy of this book to someone and I can't remember who I loaned it to.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 08:07 AM

Pampano.......Its truly a small world.....Thats me in the bow of the St.Pierre Dory......Just another of many good Baja adventures. The year was 1974....You were close..... Time goes fast when you are having so much fun........Fishbuck.....Just go for it and dont look back!!! Good things will hapen to you along the way.Then you can become old and cranky and opinionated as well.:tumble::tumble:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Pampano.......Its truly a small world.....Thats me in the bow of the St.Pierre Dory......Just another of many good Baja adventures. The year was 1974....You were close..... Time goes fast when you are having so much fun........Fishbuck.....Just go for it and dont look back!!! Good things will hapen to you along the way.Then you can become old and cranky and opinionated as well.:tumble::tumble:

Crusoe..Hi! What a way to meet again. The Internet of all places.

Thanks for jogging my poor memory...was that really 1974? Whoa..time flys. I can remember that you guys had to row the dory quite a bit to find those light winds. Fun times, indeed!

If you are ever near Conception Bay again, please stop by Coyote Bay and visit us. We can recall old times over dinner. Buena suerte with all your next advenures.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 08:21 AM

Pampano again......After I got thinking a bit I believe the year was 1978 and we did not have any auxillery power. Just two pairs of big heavy oars, and very strong backs. I974 was another trip entirely.I will have to look at my logs and pics. Thanks again.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 11:43 AM

This sounds like a book in the making!:spingrin:
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Quote:
Quote:
BAITCAST

You already said that. Short term memory loss. NOT GOOD! Go to the medicine man "kimosabe":no:

Whats a westerly?
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargo
Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Quote:
Quote:
BAITCAST

Whats a westerly?
if u hava camputar try "guggle":(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 12:04 PM

Fishbuck ------

Do it. Don't compete with the past or anybody else. Just do it. If you have to go where nobody has been before, do it naked.
Not that it's the same, although in a way it is, in '67 I rode a Honda 50 from Wyoming to California and it never occured to ask if it had been done before. All I knew was that it hadn't been done by me. Now I can say, "I did it."
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 12:10 PM

Oh come on dude...I know what a westerly is. It's a charter boat out of 22nd street landing. It couldn't possibly have something to do with the wind...could it?;D
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 12:23 PM

Your wrong!:lol:

It's a mariner supply store in Puerto de Puerto, 30 miles east of Ensenada.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Whats a westerly?
if u hava camputar try "guggle":(

okay, I googled:

Fishing Desire, Weather and Boating Safety
Address:http://www.mexfish.com/baja/baja/af030421/af030421.htm

I think I picked up a little from Graham's book too. It's a very strong wind that comes from the west and it comes up very quick with no warning. If you get caught on open water you could be in trouble.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 12:45 PM

I don't know who brought up "westerlies", but I think they were referring to the W to NW headwinds when sailing up the Baja coast in the spring and summer. Ain't fun. You will probably be late for your date by a few days or weeks.:lol:
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-9-2007 at 03:12 PM

Quote:

I think I picked up a little from Graham's book too. It's a very strong wind that comes from the west and it comes up very quick with no warning. If you get caught on open water you could be in trouble.

That would be a chubasco, usually out of the south.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.