Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4WD event on 5/19
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 10:08 PM
4WD event on 5/19

I'll be there with friends Mike and Chris. Can't wait. A few more guys from Riverside with Jeeps will probably check it out as well. The event is called, "Classic Rock N Jeepin'" at the Rancho Collin outside of El Hongo. I'll use this thread to post photos of all of the insanity...:bounce:

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-10-2007 at 10:13 PM

Any more details Ken??? Sounds cool!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 09:56 PM
Event Location

Here is the map of the event location. I have traveled to the event site a few times already, and I had a complete blast! With all of the 4WD clubs from the Gold Coast and Interior representing, this should be a real nice Baja event. I can't wait!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 10:03 PM

The entrance fee per vehicle will be $100 pesos.

Live Classic Rock DJ - DJ Avalon (playing music on his new equipment).

That's all of the info I have at this point...

OMAR.V

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 06:25 PM

David, if you go to BAJA4x4.ORG you'll find a lot of pictures in the forums or galleries; the place is called JACUME so you can search for it. You'll need to practice your spanish a little bit.
The event is mostly rockcrawling in the sorrounding hills and granite mine. Classic rock and drinking (I mean Jeeping) at night, HA. Its really a fun place and event.

KEN, if I see you or your TJ I'll go and introduce myself. Maybe I'll join one of your Mission impossible trips in the future.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 06:33 PM

Gracias Omar, but since I am going to 'Mision Impossible' NEXT weekend, I need to hang here this weekend...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OMAR.V

KEN, if I see you or your TJ I'll go and introduce myself. Maybe I'll join one of your Mission impossible trips in the future.

Yea, come up and introduce yourself and we can talk Baja...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 08:38 PM

Yesterday, Mike and I drove our Rubicons from Riverside south to Tecate. There, we gassed up our rigs, hit the ATM machine, and drove 20 mi. east to Jacume for some top notch 4 wheeling.

When we arrived, we met up with two guys in a built, long-armed XJ driven by a nice guy named Braulo (a.k.a. "Mr. B.") and his friend (his name I forgot). They were from the Tijuana 4wd club "CityFourWheelers". Braulo, me and Mike traveled up to the rock quarry where we met up with Osvaldo and his son Alexis who were waiting for more Jeeps to show up. When they saw us, we all decided to flex our axles on some cool moguls and a deep bathtub.

Mikes lifted JK Unlimited Rubicon was just too long to make it out of the bathtub! :P:mad: With the stock 32" BFG MTs and a 3" Full-Traction lift, he was seen rubbing his belly skidplate most of the day, and this made him a little unhappy. These rigs are great on big tires, but with little 32s, they just don't have the clearance to rock off road like they should.

After a while, we all decided to climb a nice granite mountain face that was just steep enough to give us all butterflies, but not bad enough to roll us over backwards. Tires barking up the mountain made things interesting, but never caused a problem.

With noon approaching, a lowered Ford Explorer on dubs showed up - it was Chris and Oscar from Tijuana! Chris spun his low-profile tires up the rock-face mountain, and joined us at our lunch break. He parked the 'Princesa' Explorer which belongs to his wife Miriam and he traveled with us, taking photos and leading our group up some more challenging terrain.

On one particular section, I climbed a stairstep and my front passenger tire reached 5 feet in the air!:!::bounce::!:

With the afternoon wearing on, we returned to Rancho Collin Bueno, and met up with the Baja Crawlers crew where they were setting up camp. Willy's showed up and wanted Mike and I to stick around, but with a full day of 'wheeling behind us, we decided to return to Tecate for Mariscos. It was a great day with plenty of great 'wheeling to give us more experience in the rough stuff.

VIVA BAJA!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 08:59 PM

Thanks for the report Ken... I think you had a blast!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks for the report Ken... I think you had a blast!

Yes - I emphasized this with the border patrol last night. The guy asked me, "What business did you have in Mexico!?!" I told him, "Runnin' Trails..." He check my I.D. and when he looked at my license plate, "BAJAJPN" he shook his head and waved me on. Hahahaha:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 09:44 PM

If you get bored this next weekend you know where we will be!;D

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
If you get bored this next weekend you know where we will be!;D

Thanks for the invite. I'm saving my $$ for that plane trip I told you about. :yes:

Here is Richard B's take on what happened this weekend:

Yes it was a fantastic time. Seen you there but was busy setting up the sound system with Eddy (Avalon) and Jose. was gana wait to say hi once the sun set and everyone was parting but couldn't find ya. I was teamed up with the Baja4X4.org group. Sounds like you hit the trails way before us. we didn't get out there till about 5pm and got back to camp just before sunset. around midnight we went back out and did a little offroading 101. with 2 beginners on some small obstacles. All in ll we had 8 rigs and had only on casualty. Eddy just purchased a cj and the eat up it rear planetary gears. But all in all i had a blast.
richard

OMAR.V

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 06:25 PM

Ken, I saw you guys as I was heading to the trail, but when I got back you were already gone. Maybe we'll talk next time.
I also had a blast but had to leave around 9pm.
Hope I can join one of the mission impossible trips. I know David is going soon but my wife is 8 months pregnant so... :(
By the way, do you think I can make it out of Santa Maria with a TJ 33" tires 4" lift and no lockers? I have a working limited slip (although I'm not really sure it would help)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 06:42 PM

Omar, in my '03 trip photos you will see a TJ that did not use lockers climbing up the Widowmaker... That was 'chicagoross' and he told me it was easy in his Jeep.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 07:16 PM

You don't need lockers on the widowmaker if you air your tires down, and pick a good line to the top. Lockers just make a more safe, comfortable ascent than without lockers.

OMAR.V

[*] posted on 5-22-2007 at 09:10 AM

Thanks guys, thats what I always do, air down and pick a good line, almost never fails.

David, I've seen that picture a thousand times and always wondered if that TJ had lockers.

Next time I go to Santa Maria I'll drive all the way to the mission and I'll probably have new gears by then. :bounce: .I bet it will be scary.

Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2007 at 09:16 AM

I am almost sure Ross said it did, because I remember him saying that he was in only in 'normal' 4WD and it was no problem for the Jeep to climb up.

He was the first vehicle up, I was next in my '01 Tacoma... Half way up a foot tall rock blocked me... I backed down a bit, made a ramp with other rocks, and Ross 'spotted' my tire placement... no problem with a little help from a friend.

I will say, it was LESS scary in my truck than it was on a quad!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.