BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Recipe request...& Now-Finished Lunch, Thanks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:43 AM
Recipe request...& Now-Finished Lunch, Thanks.

I have the kitchen detail am about to pan-fry some cabrilla for a quick snack. I am thinking fish and chips....or fish tacos?

NO...I am not going to bake anything.

What is your best recipe for doing this? Nothing too fancy, now...plus I have to do the dishes afterwards.

Muchas Gracias.

[Edited on 5-13-2007 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:51 AM

Margarita Tacos w/chipotle lime sauce

1 T grated orange peel
1 T grated lime peel
2 T tequila
2 t sugar
2 t warm water
Mix above together and put in zip lock bag.

1 lb fish - add to the zip lock bag and marinate for 30 mins in fridge. Remove fish from bag, pat dry, discard marinade. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.

Heat 1 T olive or vegetable oil over med-high heat in large non-stick skillet. Add fish, cook abour 4 mins on each side or until flaky.

For the sauce:
1/4 c mayo
1/4 c sour cream
1 T lime juice
1 T chopped cilantro
1 1/2 t finely chopped chipolte in adobo (or to taste)
Mix together.

Shred some cabbage, slice some limes.

Heat the corn tortillas. Build your taco with fish, cabbage, a squeeze of lime and the sauce.

Very little mess, no frying. And if you bake your fries instead of frying, even less mess!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 09:24 AM
Thanks, bajabound...but I can't quite do this.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Margarita Tacos w/chipotle lime sauce

1 T grated orange peel
1 T grated lime peel
2 T tequila (can' do liquor today..meds)
2 t sugar
2 t warm water
Mix above together and put in zip lock bag.

1 lb fish - add to the zip lock bag and marinate for 30 mins in fridge. Remove fish from bag, pat dry, discard marinade. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. (too hungry to wait for 30 minutes!)

Heat 1 T olive or vegetable oil over med-high heat in large non-stick skillet. Add fish, cook abour 4 mins on each side or until flaky. (what happened to my breading?)

For the sauce:
1/4 c mayo
1/4 c sour cream
1 T lime juice
1 T chopped cilantro (I hate cilantro..also canned peas and dried coconut flakes.)
1 1/2 t finely chopped chipolte in adobo (or to taste) (no hay chipolte)
Mix together.

Shred some cabbage, slice some limes.

Heat the corn tortillas. Build your taco with fish, cabbage, a squeeze of lime and the sauce.

Very little mess, no frying. And if you bake your fries instead of frying, even less mess!!! (BAKE?..in this heat? Never. Sides, my fries are deep-fried only...today on the outside grill.)

Bajabound2005, the rest of your recipe sounds delicious and I will try it..with the above omissions..and conjoined with a truly great recipe I just received from aquaholic via the magic of MSM Messenger.

Muchas gracias!

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 10:44 AM

Pompano,

Sounds like you have it under control for today, but another time you could deep fry your cabrilla in this batter:

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/tempura/r/tempurabatter.htm

Have a nice lunch!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 10:47 AM

Thanks, Paula...I love tempura batter! I know the local stores have a similar type in a silver foil bag..just can't recall the name on it. The cook is out.

[Edited on 5-11-2007 by Pompano]

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:25 PM

how about, dredge in flour, dip in egg (& ranch dressing or other) coat with flavored bread crumbs and quick fry.......

delicious, quick and "heart smart!"

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:31 PM

:yes: Paula's tempura recipe sounds about as simple as it gets. A mango salsa would go nicely with cabrilla. One mango,limon juice,and cilantro. Put in blender,limon and cilantro to taste. Bon apetite!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 12:33 PM

Roll it in cornmeal and fry it. Works every time.:D Doubt if you'll get any complaints.:spingrin:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 01:06 PM

only from the corn..........

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 01:09 PM

I am gonna hafta try them all...pity the poor cabrilla out there.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 01:16 PM

Go get 'em, Roger!!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 01:23 PM
Paula...

How many fish tacos are there in this one?

-0 1acabrilla26.7 (Custom) (2).jpg - 45kB

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 01:25 PM

Depends on how big the tortillas are:yes:

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 05:21 PM

What perfect timing...a friend brought by some locally caught halibut this morning. The margarita recipe is very similar to my favorite chicken parts recipe, but it never occured to me to try it with halibut. Thanks for the request and thanks for the recipes.

So, now all I have to decide is whether the fish will be tempura style or margarita style...maybe I'll do the fish tempura style and drink the margarita.

Totally off topic, but since we are talking about tequila here, I think this is appropriate...I was on the front patio yesterday afternoon weeding, and taking spider webs off the patio furniture. I put down my limonada con tequila on a garden wall and walked off. When I turned around I saw a huge crow dipping his beak in my glass. Maybe it was Jose Cuervo...I hope he liked the herradura.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 06:06 PM

Pompano Bring some fish by and Edith will not only give you the recipe but show you how to do it. there is one secret:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 06:52 PM

We use a light Japanese batter like Panko.
Add a little shredded coconut to the batter for a nice change.
Add 1/4 to 1/3 by volume, corn-meal for a crisper batter with a "nutty" taste.

Or without the batter, gently saute the fish with diced carrots or corn, if available, then cover with a few tablespoons of Dona Maria Mole' sauce. (We leave a bit of pre-mixed sauce in the refrig.)
Or, maybe top the fish with a little Herdez green chili salza ? With or without batter.

These last two are some of my quick favorites when it's too hot to stand in front of the stove for long. (The fish for these last two can also be baked in a toaster oven.)

Bon Apetite !!

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 08:56 PM

Well, Elizabeth, just don't do the fish margarita style and drink the tempura batter!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2007 at 09:16 PM
It's over. I cooked..I ate. It was sooooo good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver.
Add a little shredded coconut to the batter for a nice change.
(Diver..I said I HATE shredded coconut!)

Or, maybe top the fish with a little Herdez green chili salza ? With or without batter. (I really don't like Herdez salsa either...sorry, Diver...I am really not that fussy, but...)

I finally just went into the kitchen, opened an ice cold Pacifico and improvished from all the recipes I read here..excluding certain hated ingredients!

Following a mixture of the marinade recipes, I marinated the cut up peices of cabrilla in a gallon zip lock for about an hour while enjoying a couple cold brews and a dip in the bay.

Then cut up some spuds into shoestring potatoes, cut my finger, and opened a medicinal Pacifico (it is a perfect coagulant for these situations, I am told.)

Put some flower, salt, pepper into a paper bag and set aside. Had another dose of coagulant while trying to remember all those ingredients I should have added.

I like a good fish sauce so I whipped up one that was not too bad. Mayo-lime juice-MilleIsle-and something else in a small jar way in the back of the fridge. And...as long as I was in the fridge anyway, the Pacificos were handy...

Put all this into the blender and spun it onto the ceiling..started over and used lid.

Now got two pans hot with butter/canola oil in one and peanut oil in the other. This was very hot work and required some more cold bloodclotter.

The oil was ready, the fish was ready, the fries were ready, the sauce was..sauced.

After shaking the fish peices in the paper bag, I dropped them gently into the hot butter/canola oil to fry. Then I eased the shoestrings into the peanut oil, where they started to sizzle right away. This was a positive sign.

A few minutes and a cold one later, the fries and fish looked like lunch to me. A plate and fork would be good here.

So..after all that, this is what my lunch looked like. And...it tasted great!

Muchas Gracias, one and all.

-0 1a 004 (Small).jpg - 47kB

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 06:43 AM

Hey! You said you couldn't have any alcohol because of your meds. You didn't believe these guys when they said there was no alcohol in Pacifico did you?
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 07:09 AM

Easy on the fries, Pomp.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.