Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Ziploc Bag Omelets may be Toxic
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 12:08 AM

David,

I think your selling Amir short, but that's your perrogative. You can Poo Poo the information I posted if you like. At least back up your "Poo Poo" with some sort of plausible information.

I didn't post the information to Suggest that, the "Sky Was Falling" or that, "Corporations are Evil" or that, "God is Not the Supreme Being" and nothing about "Climate Change".

And if you read my second post and did a little reading you might have come away with a different perspective.

I've said enough and will now bite my tongue.

Bedman
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 05:17 AM

Hmmm...why bother cooking an omelet in a plastic bag anyway? If you're going to use a pan to boil water, may as well use it to cook the omelet and get that nice fried buttery flavor(that I'm sure is carcinogenic too!). Non-stick pan is uber-easy cleanup. Less garbage afterwards too.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 07:41 AM

Just another thing to remember this weekend.

The black crust on your barbequed steak/hotdog/burger/fish/pork may be carcenogenic too :(

http://bbq.about.com/b/a/256513.htm
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats, researchers reported on Sunday."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060406101252.htm
Science Daily — The compound PhIP (2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine), formed by cooking meats at very high temperatures, acts as both an initiator and promoter of prostate cancer in rats, according to a Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center study, presented at the 97th annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research in Washington, D.C

Standing in front of the grill with no shirt on as you work on you summer tan is cancer causing too, besides you might offend the neighbors .

I hate being lied to through half truths in those forwarded emails. SE Johnson saying "we don’t recommend cooking in Ziploc bags" turns into "Cooking in Ziploc bags will release harmful chemical into food and you will get cancer and die!"

I agree with Mexitron cooking omelets old-fashioned way in a frying pan is better anyway, cleanup is not really that bad...and you get a nice delicious :yes: brown crust on the omelet that you will not get in a plastic sack.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Hmmm...why bother cooking an omelet in a plastic bag anyway? If you're going to use a pan to boil water, may as well use it to cook the omelet and get that nice fried buttery flavor(that I'm sure is carcinogenic too!). Non-stick pan is uber-easy cleanup. Less garbage afterwards too.

Mexitron,
For our house it was a kid thing. A breakfast they could do all by themselves. Our daughter had a sleepover and the girls were busy all morning in the kitchen, without me! When out and about, no dishes to wash. One baggie and egg shells for the trash, burn the paper plate, dump out the water and go! Bottom line was simplicity.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:11 AM

I'm not sure about the health issues re: food contact or heat and plastic. But I'm pretty sure I don't want to swallow any. I haven't chewed gum in awhile because it pulls my partial loose. After watching this YouTube video on gum manufacture, I don't want any ever again. I thought it still came from the chicle tree resin harvested in the jungles by stoned chicleros. According to this, not anymore. Chewing and bubble gum is now made from "synthetic plastics and rubber".:barf:

http://www.tonterias.com/tonteria.php?id_tonteria=5909&f...

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:52 AM

Well, you know what... we are all going to die... someday! The quality of life has got to be worth something, right?

If you are going to live in fear of what you eat, breath, drink... what's the point???

Tomorrow, a meteor, car wreck, terrorist, shark attack, whatever... could end it all... So today, I chose to enjoy life!!

Bedman & Amir, what I post in these 'warning messages' was not in disrespect or to question your motives... I post the 'counter-think' stuff so that anyone who cares to can THINK for themselves when given an opposing viewpoint.

We are bombarded daily with 'left-think' on the TV, newspaper, magazines, radio news, etc. The motives of the lefties is one of power and control... as they don't think you have enough brains to think for yourself or take care of yourself and instead want the government to run your life and keep your money... "it takes a village", etc.

I know (most) of you have brains, God given abilities and resources to care for yourselves without a government agency to do that for you... So, I support another opinion being added to the thread on such topics as America is evil, corporations are evil, man is destroying the planet, etc.

In the thread above, it was Taco de Baja who provided the opposing opinion (or perhaps facts) to have you consider... I just gave him an "atta boy" for doing such...

So, please just do some thinking on your own... Ziplock (DOW) or whatever corporation has lawers up the ying yang that would have warning lables galore if boiling eggs inside the ziplock was anymore harmful than breathing the air.... If not, then just how often do you make a ziplock omlette in your life that whatever miniscule amount of chemical release would add to the rest of the stuff that goes into our bodies over our lifetime? (I have never had one, but if Cody made me one, I would try it)

Cody with Beach Bob's dog 'Fred-Ted-George' in a photo taken by bedman in 2002...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 11:40 AM

Everything in moderation. We are all going to die of something or other, so enjoying every day to the fullest is a great way to live. I personally appreciate many things I've learned about prolonguing life, yet I still have some bad habits that I know will shorten it. Somebody said in this thread already: We choose our poisons.

Our bodies are incredibly complicated chemical machines and science (or yogis or religion) have not yet figured out all the secrets of health. Life is a mystery. Some people live very pure lives and still succumb to disease; other break every rule and live full, healthy long lives. Fear from meteors or terrorists, any fear in fact, can make you sick. More governent is not the answer to anything, on the contrary, I have a problem with authority and can't stand anybody legislating rules for me, and I detest paying taxes for causes I oppose.

We have intellects so we can discrimiate between what is good and what is bad, but this is a very difficult job - it is very confusing with all the choices we have, and what is poison for one person might be nectar to another. So what I do is to try to be informed, and then choose what works for me. Different people make different choices, and thank God for that! Can you imagine how boring it would be if we were all clones of each other?

--Amir
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

The black crust on your barbequed steak/hotdog/burger/fish/pork may be carcenogenic too :(

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats, researchers reported on Sunday."

Science Daily — The compound PhIP (2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine), formed by cooking meats at very high temperatures, acts as both an initiator and promoter of prostate cancer in rats, according to a Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center study, presented at the 97th annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research in Washington, D.C

Standing in front of the grill with no shirt on as you work on you summer tan is cancer causing too, besides you might offend the neighbors .

I hate being lied to through half truths in those forwarded emails. SE Johnson saying "we don’t recommend cooking in Ziploc bags" turns into "Cooking in Ziploc bags will release harmful chemical into food and you will get cancer and die!"

I agree with Mexitron cooking omelets old-fashioned way in a frying pan is better anyway, cleanup is not really that bad...and you get a nice delicious :yes: brown crust on the omelet that you will not get in a plastic sack.

The burnt stuff on barbecued meat (and most all burnt organics) is high in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons PAHs). The PAHs in diesel exhaust is the primary driver for attempts to regulate diesel engines. Eating barbecued meat exposes you to the same PAHs as you get from driving behind a diesel truck on I-5. Mixed PAHs from burning organic matter are in pure form tar-like, and the "tar" referred to in cigarette measurements is PAH "tar."

The emissions from low temperature contact with plastic are not anything I would volunteer to eat more of. You get all sorts of chemicals off plastics at low temperature, including a few that have been studied and are known to be carcinogenic, like phthalates. Plastics containn many thousands of chemicals, and only hundreds have been studied.

The rule of thumbs to live by are don't eat hot materials from ceramics made outside the US; don't store and reheat food in plastic containers (use plastic only if you don't have a better alternative); don't eat lots of fat; don't stand in barbecue smoke, spend lots of time standing behind diesel busses or take up smoking; don't develop a taste for preferring your meat and toast with a black coating of burn residue; and finally,, best of all, do what I say and not as I do.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

We are bombarded daily with 'left-think' on the TV, newspaper, magazines, radio news, etc. The motives of the lefties is one of power and control... as they don't think you have enough brains to think for yourself or take care of yourself and instead want the government to run your life and keep your money... "it takes a village", etc.

So, please just do some thinking on your own... Ziplock (DOW) or whatever corporation has lawers up the ying yang that would have warning lables galore if boiling eggs inside the ziplock was anymore harmful than breathing the air.... If not, then just how often do you make a ziplock omlette in your life that whatever miniscule amount of chemical release would add to the rest of the stuff that goes into our bodies over our lifetime? (I have never had one, but if Cody made me one, I would try it)

A gullible cynic?

Leftists are generally looking out for their fellow man when pushing for consumer protection. Maybe a little bit of it is political power, but the underlying motivation is good.

I trust Michael Moore and Ralph Nader more than I trust the atty from Ziplock/Dow.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 04:44 PM
Perfect Breakfast

One tablespoon of PAH's
Mixed with three ounces of VOC's
4 oz of PCB's
Add cholesteral to the top of a 12 oz glass
Heat in Microwave in anything plastic, until all ingredients, including the plastic container congeal.
Down the hatch.

Those who are not going to die should identify themselves for the rest of us to admire.

I saw God in my scrambled egg this morning. I set it aside for you, Amir.

Righties could care less about other people, correct Goat?

Caring is the sole purview of the left. Just how did you get to post such a political remark on other than the Off-topic section?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

The burnt stuff on barbecued meat (and most all burnt organics) is high in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons PAHs). The PAHs in diesel exhaust is the primary driver for attempts to regulate diesel engines. Eating barbecued meat exposes you to the same PAHs as you get from driving behind a diesel truck on I-5. Mixed PAHs from burning organic matter are in pure form tar-like, and the "tar" referred to in cigarette measurements is PAH "tar."

The emissions from low temperature contact with plastic are not anything I would volunteer to eat more of. You get all sorts of chemicals off plastics at low temperature, including a few that have been studied and are known to be carcinogenic, like phthalates. Plastics containn many thousands of chemicals, and only hundreds have been studied.

The rule of thumbs to live by are don't eat hot materials from ceramics made outside the US; don't store and reheat food in plastic containers (use plastic only if you don't have a better alternative); don't eat lots of fat; don't stand in barbecue smoke, spend lots of time standing behind diesel busses or take up smoking; don't develop a taste for preferring your meat and toast with a black coating of burn residue; and finally,, best of all, do what I say and not as I do.

"Methuselah lived 900 years
But who calls that livin'
When no gal would give in
To no man what's 900 years?"
-Sportin' Life-It ain't necessarily so-Porgy and Bess

"Die young and leave a good-looking corpse"- Somebody?

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 11:32 PM
If you don't want to scramble your eggs in a Ziploc bag, and if you don't want to brown them in a frying pan...

[Edited on 5-26-2007 by amir]

untitled1.jpg - 13kB
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 11:38 PM

... and then do this...

untitled2.jpg - 49kB
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 11:43 PM

... and then finish it like this!

(By the way, no, that is not me in the first picture. I look more like my avatar, but with a little more yolk around my beard. --Amir)

untitled3.jpg - 50kB
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 07:43 AM

Hey now that's an omelette!!! Nice pics Amir.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 08:00 AM

What an eggs-travagant series! Thanks for the lighter (and aesthetic perspective - ideological posturing is soooo last century!;D

Here's to a sunny-side up Saturday to you all!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 02:50 PM

Tell us more about the eggshibit please, Amir. And if you know anything about that ducky floor covering in the pictures, please share that info too:dudette:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 04:35 PM

amir! Are you trying to egg-us-on?:tumble:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
David,

I think your selling Amir short, but that's your perrogative. You can Poo Poo the information I posted if you like. At least back up your "Poo Poo" with some sort of plausible information.

I didn't post the information to Suggest that, the "Sky Was Falling" or that, "Corporations are Evil" or that, "God is Not the Supreme Being" and nothing about "Climate Change".

And if you read my second post and did a little reading you might have come away with a different perspective.

I've said enough and will now bite my tongue.

Bedman

You, sir, are a class act. Unlike myself - 'nuff said. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-27-2007 by Roberto]
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Tell us more about the eggshibit please, Amir. And if you know anything about that ducky floor covering in the pictures, please share that info too:dudette:

Sorry, Paula, I know nothing about that eggshibit. Isn't it eggsquisite, though? Somebody emailed the pictures to me just yesterday, coincidentally, not knowing that I was participating in this thread. A really eggstraneous coincidence...

The only thing I can deduce from it is that it was probably in Asia, maybe Japan, or Korea, or thereabouts, because of the characters on the lower right area of the third picture. I think it says "1950", and it looks like it was the 50th anniversary of something, so that would date these pictures to the year 2000, when the two personegges in the picture are being eggstalled, probably for their eggsalted, eggscellent, eggsceptional, eggsceedingly eggstra eggsternal patiotism, I guess, without eggsceptions...

I have really no eggscuses for this eggscessive, eggsorbitant eggscerpt. If somebody wants to eggscise the eggscess, or eggsclude some eggsclamations, I'll get eggscited, and perhaps also eggsonerated. Without eggscemptions, this ineggscusable eggsample will eggsert pressure from egged Nomads for me to be eggsiled to other eggsisting forums.

Eggsecuted eggshaustively without eggshaling, with eggstenuating circumstances for all the eggscursions, I will now eggsit.

Eggscrementally, yours, --Amir
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.