Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 08:21 PM

Amir, you're a good egg!!

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 07:43 AM
Source of egg pix

http://www.homestudio.cdd.cn/homepage03/album.asp?id=55823&a...

:tumble::tumble::yes:;)

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 08:56 AM

thanks, Gull! What an interesting link-- don't even know for sure what country that was, but so many cool images!

pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 12:25 PM

Lots of good points and counter points on this thread..good stuff
I think Amirs cool.

By the way, my mum used to fry eggs in Rex lard...mm mm good!!
remember that stuff?
Now i know to add melted plastics to my diet to finish the job
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 12:36 PM

amir, Eggscellent!:spingrin:
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 07:48 AM

Ziploc is on the way to developing bags that can be boiled, for those who are afraid of possibly eating melted plastic when making your eggs...

If these new bags can handle the heat of stream, they can easily handle the heat of 212* F boiling water.... Unfortunately, theses particular bags have holes in them to allow the steam to escape.....I foresee ones in the future with no holes that you can toss in a pot of boiling water.

Quote:

RACINE, Wis., June 21, 2007 –Ziploc® Brand is changing the way people use their favorite kitchen appliance with an innovative new product that allows everyday cooks to create delicious and healthy steam cooked meals at the touch of a button.

The first food preparation product from the Ziploc® Brand, new Ziploc® Brand Zip ’n Steam™ Microwave Steam Cooking Bags steam cook fresh or frozen vegetables, seafood, poultry and more in the microwave., Ziploc® Brand Zip ’n Steam™ Bags take steaming one step further by cooking food quickly every time, keeping nutrients in the bag and helping vegetables retain their flavor.

The Secret to Successful Steaming is “In the Bag”
Ziploc® Brand Zip ’n Steam™ Bags feature an innovative design with patented steam vents that allow the bag to maintain optimal steaming pressure so food cooks at a higher temperature and retains more moisture. In addition, the bags lay flat in the microwave so food cooks thoroughly and evenly without needing to be stirred halfway through the cooking process.

Simple Cleanup is “In the Bag”
While everyone enjoys eating, most dread cleaning up afterwards. Ziploc® Brand Zip ’n Steam™ Bags’ leak-proof performance means no messes from the very start. And the bags minimize cleanup so it’s possible to prepare and enjoy meals without having to wash numerous pots and pans. Steam cooking favorite foods is so quick and easy, people will find the answer to their next healthy home-made meal really is in the bag.

Where to Find Ziploc® Brand Zip ‘n Steam™ Bags
After July 13, 2007, Ziploc® Brand Zip ‘n Steam™ Bags can be found at mass-retail stores and grocery stores nationwide in the same aisle where Ziploc® Brand bags and Ziploc® Brand containers are found.

In the meantime, consumers can visit www.ziploc.com/steamerbags to order a shipment of 30 medium bags (2-3 servings per bag) and 14 large bags (3-5 servings per bag) for $15.99 (plus tax) as part of a limited time offer. Shipping and handling are free, and all applicable taxes apply.

Link

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 09:28 AM

I use zip-lock bags a lot to store food while backpacking and food in the fridge.

I've seen melted saran wrap, plastics, etc. from being heated in the microwave, melted into and onto food. Believe what you wish. But, I would think that eating plastics it not really a good thing, it sure does not taste good.

Personally; I find it pretty humorous how god, politics, and urban myth has found its way into this thread. Lefty, righty..belive what you wish. Not all corporations are bad; but, corporations are run by people. Sometimes people are bad and self serving; and, thus the corporations they run become an extension of their ideals and practices. Not all are bad; but, not all are good either.

Sometimes even good people do things with the best intentions that turn out in the end to have bad consequences. Often times it is just a lack of knowledge or understanding that is the demise of good intentions. I prefer to keep my head out of the sand.

I just don't see what is so bad with cast iron myself. I'd rather spend a little time cleaning as to keep one less plastic bag from blowing around in the desert.

Last time I checked it was,"In God we trust" , not, "In corporations we trust."

When it comes down to food..for me it is, "In cast iron I trust, just keep it dry or it will rust."
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 03:40 AM

Ahhh...I knew I could find the correct snopes listing for the hot plastic rumor:
http://www.snopes.com/toxins/plastic.htm
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandy
Ahhh...I knew I could find the correct snopes listing for the hot plastic rumor:

Deja Vu all over again.
Do people bother to read the whole thread before posting?
And besides, that article talks about DIOXINS. Of course you ain't gonna find dioxins in there. WE ARE NOT TALKING JUST ABOUT DIOXINS. We are talking about other toxic compounds. HELLO? SOMEBODY HOME?
Why don't they go looking for the real poisons?
Because they don't even know what they are!
Labs can only test for known substances.
Labs can tell you if something is there.
Labs cannot tell you about what they are NOT testing.

But it doesn't really matter. Go eat the poisons and get sick. Just don't send me the bill for your sickness. And if you die, don't come back to haunt me!

--Amir
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:39 AM

Ah, so there are always poisons in everything made by corporations, even if unknown!??

I don't think I could sleep being so nervous about everything I eat, drink or touch if I believed that!

What has happened to you presonally that created this phobia? Does living in a third world country solve your issues with corporations?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 12:09 PM

David K, you are generalizing when you ask if there are always poisons in everything. Of course not. Most of the things made from petrochemicals are toxic, though.

If you can't sleep from your nervousness, I'm sure you can get some drug to calm you down. Beer doesn't do it for you, eh? Try meditation also.

And what happened to me personally that created my awareness about toxic corporations, is that I got an education, and I read a lot, and not only what is spoon fed to me by the "evil corporations" (as you call them), but I try to be open to information that comes from all sides of the spectrum, including research funded by others besides the same corporations that produce the chemicals they test. That is called independent, unbiased research.

And living in a third world country does not solve all the issues, but it helps a lot. Living on the tropics in an oasis in the desert on the edge of the ocean keeps me away from many pollutants, not only industrial, but also human.

--Amir
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:43 PM

Thanks Amir... I appreciate the input as to how you get your ideas. By the way, you misunderstood me, I sleep very well as I am NOT nervous... I don't fear corporations or believe they want to kill us... well I will take an exception... tobacco companies!!!

Peace to you Amir!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 06:58 AM
Bedman--Thank you

This post has made me and thus my family much more aware of plastics and the preparation of foods...............it has caused me to research the facts and here is yet another.............

http://www.expatshungary.com/forum/topic/97

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
This post has made me and thus my family much more aware of plastics and the preparation of foods...............it has caused me to research the facts and here is yet another.............

http://www.expatshungary.com/forum/topic/97

Bernie,
That's similar to the email with bad info that Snopes.com has debunked.
Plastics do not contain dioxins. Other chemicals, yes; not dioxins.
Freezing water in plastics would actually would slow down any chemical reactions that might be occurring between the water and plastic; so it's actually safer to store frozen water in plastic than at 40 degrees, or at 100 degrees on your way across the Baja desert...

You should be more worried about heating in that ceramic dish/bowl that says "Hecho en Mexico" or "Made in China". The glaze just might contain lead that will also poison you and your family. :(

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 07:25 AM

Amir--do you like that pine fresh smell when hiking in the mountains? Know what makes that smell? Turpenoids--nasty benzene ring based chemicals produced by the pine trees to keep their sap from freezing in the winter(and what turpentine is made of). The world is full of natural toxins like that---the good news is that we have buffering physiologies to alleviate the effects of small amounts of those toxins...sure, petrochemical based products have toxins too but unless you take a bath in them everyday they probably won't hurt you. Why anyone would cook an omelette in a plastic bag is beyond me but I doubt it will do much damage.
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 07:47 AM

Indeed this looks like one of those controversies where there isn't a clear answer. So what do we do?

I would think that the best thing to do is what WE think is best for our health. Minimize exposure, keep our immune systems strong, eat as many wholesome foods as we can, exercise, surround ourselves with good friends, keep thinking positive thoughts, and pray that we are doing the right things.

Eventually we'll all succumb to old age and death no matter what we do. The world is full of controversies and we get trapped in our belief systems. It is all about belief! If we believe that something is bad for us, even if it is not, and we still do it, it will have a bad effect on us. If we believe that something is good for us, even if it is not, and we indulge in it, we might not get a negative effect.

The power of the mind can override the material world. This is one major reason why we get different results depending on where our heads are at. The power of positive thinking is incredible. One man's ambrosia is another man's poison, and vice-versa. Indeed it is a conondrum.

--Amir
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 08:18 AM
Taco

I fall upon my sword.............Here is something I wrote the other day and it should have warned me of this thread and what it held................

“Come see the future as it once was!” Bernie Swaim 2005

I have been cogitating on this for some time now and I have decided to expand upon the thought and carry it forward and backward and see what we come up with.

“The future never is what it seems, but rather what it will be.”

Now the past, we believe, is etched stone. It has happened and that is that—the end. That is until we realize that the past is what makes the present—well present. Then look around and see if you know what the present really is and not what you wish it to be. It may not be at all what you hope for and has more than likely been changed by others to make you think it is really something else.

And going back to the past, you find that it is really as fluid as historians, such as me, wish it to be………….All that is needed to change the present and perhaps the future is to tweak the past………….So! I re-wrote it as follows:

“Come see the future as it once was! It is never as it is—but it is always what it will be.”

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 02:17 PM

Just cut the top out of an old milk jug, fill with whatever you want and boil till your hearts content, remove, dump in plate and chow down.:lol:
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 10:24 AM

good lord whatever happened to a good ol' pan to cook your eggs in??? boiling an omlete in a plastic bag sounds disgusting....what is wrong with people today??? I even hate microwaves as they change the molecular structure of the food anyway....what ever happened to "real" cooking?? we need to get back to the basics people.....
who comes up with this stuff??
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.