BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Can we make it from Oceanside to Cabo in 2 1/2 days?
kameyer70

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:22 PM
Can we make it from Oceanside to Cabo in 2 1/2 days?

We will be driving from San Diego to Cabo in October 2007. On the way down, we want to make the best time possible. (Need to be in Cabo on Monday at 2pm to pick up family at the airport.) Below is our tentative schedule. Is it realistic?

I welcome feedback, suggestions and tips on the best places to eat, refuel, spend the night, etc.

Saturday 4am - Leave Oceanside
1st night - Guerro Negro
2nd night - Cidad Constitucion
Monday early afternoon - arrive in Cabo

Thanks!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:34 PM

Sure, but I am glad I will not be on the highway with you. I really wish it was only your life your risking. Take another day and enjoy life. I am really trying to be nice.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:43 PM

It could be done the way you describe. It wont be fun, but it's doable, even if you never top 70 mph.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:45 PM

I would say that it could be done.
With 2 drivers at 10-12 hours driving a day.
The first day will be the tough one since you will be going through some Saturday traffic south of Ensenada. If you make slow time, you may need to stop at La Pinta in Catavinia the first night.
The next two legs are in more open country and should be no problem.
You might even make La Paz the second night from Guerrero Negro.
2 1/2 hours to the airport from La Paz; 5-6 hours from Cuidad.
Of course all of this assumes no gas shortages, no police, quick federale stops, no flats, etc..

Bring a cooler of food and drink and a cup to pee in so you won;t have to stop ! :lol:
Good luck !

BTW, I hope you are youger than middle age or you will be down for a two day recovery like I would be.

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Diver]
kameyer70

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Sure, but I am glad I will not be on the highway with you. I really wish it was only your life your risking. Take another day and enjoy life. I am really trying to be nice.

So, 2 1/2 days is NOT realistic. OK I get it! Since this is our first time making the drive all the way to Cabo (we've never been past Mulege), I'm interested in hearing how others broke up the trip and suggestoins on how we might do it.

Thanks!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:55 PM

No problem. 500 miles a day on hwy 1 is very doable without going too fast. Put in 14+ hours per day. Stop at regular intervals and walk around usually for your gas stops. The secert to staying alert on long drives is to not eat or eat very light and no alcohol. It helps to listen to the radio or CDs or chit chat with others along with you. Get a good nights sleep.
kameyer70

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I would say that it could be done.
With 2 drivers at 10-12 hours driving a day.
The first day will be the tough one since you will be going through some Saturday traffic south of Ensenada. If you make slow time, you may need to stop at La Pinta in Catavinia the first night.
The next two legs are in more open country and should be no problem.
You might even make La Paz the second night from Guerrero Negro.
2 1/2 hours to the airport from La Paz; 5-6 hours from Cuidad.
Of course all of this assumes no gas shortages, no police, quick federale stops, no flats, etc..

Bring a cooler of food and drink and a cup to pee in so you won;t have to stop ! :lol:
Good luck !

BTW, I hope you are youger than middle age or you will be down for a two day recovery like I would be.

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Diver]

Yes, we have three drivers. Thanks for the pee-cup idea! I'm sure we'll use it.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 03:59 PM

Kameyer,

Should not be a problem. If you cross at 4-5am, you might even be able to make Santa Rosalia the first night and La Paz the second night, leaving you just a couple of easy hours the third day.

We drove from Lake Forest to the East Cape/Los Barriles and were there the 2nd day at 3pm. We didn't cross the border until about 8:30am.

Miguelamo :tumble: :spingrin:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 04:02 PM

I made it from Loreto to San Quintin in 1 day. I'd say that's about the same as Oceanside to GN. It was a hard day.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 04:05 PM

Two + days is plenty of time to get to Cabo. Get an early start each day, drive safely, and you'll have no problems. See how you feel the first day...if you can make it to Santa Rosalia to overnight, even better. I've done that drive plenty of times in two days.

Have a great trip.

Zac

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 04:09 PM

Your original plan would be a relaxing trip for me:bounce::bounce:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
kameyer70

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 04:12 PM

I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm feeling much better about the trip. Thanks so much!
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 04:43 PM

This is our schedule. We do not find it too taxing, I'm sure others will disagree.

We leave Palm Springs at 5am. We take along a large ice chest and pack pastries for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. We cross at Tecate about 8am. We only stop for gas once and that is in Ensenada or San Quintin. We arrive in GN about 530pm. Fill up with gas that night at GN! We stay at the Las Caracoles hotel for 450p per night and meet up with our Baja Nomad pal Serenita. Dinner is at either Malarrimo or Puerto Vieja. Next day we leave at 6am and stop for early lunch at Santa Rosalia. Stop for gas in Loreto. We arrive in La Paz about 4pm. Cabo is another 2.5 hours down the road and you could be there by 6:30 pm(go through Todos Santos, it is shorter).

Potty stops are as necessary - take your own t.p.

Now before anyone starts criticizing our speed.....Mrs. Oxxo does all the driving! She is a nervous passenger. She feels much more comfortable when she drives and she is very cautious. Sometimes she drives 70 (but no more) on the open stretches, but most of the time we average 55 or 60 mph. She obeys the posted speed limit in towns and pueblos. When you pass a slow moving vehicle, look in your rear view mirror first even if you have your turn signal on. Better very safe than sorry. There is a whole different protocol for using your turn signals down here. Turning your left turn blinker on to pass someone really means that you are giving permission for the car behind you to pass you!

We have satellite radio and it is beautiful scenery. We have done this trip 3 times this year and we can almost set our watch to the points of interest. This trip is easier to do in the summer when there is more daylight. It is much more difficult during the winter. October should be fine. Do not drive at night in Baja. Do not drive at night in Baja. Do not drive at night in Baja.

This is going to be a fun adventure for you!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 04:53 PM

Stop to take a pee, for crying out loud. Peeing in the desert is part of the experience. My wife and I would rather hang it out along the road than deal with MOST mexican banos.

It'll cost you maybe 10-15 off the drive. We're animals.......mark your territory!

Friends dont let friends pee while driving...............

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Hook]

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 04:54 PM

Don't forget to time your trip so that you pass Jesus Maria when Carmelita's is open! Don't forget to open your eyes and see Baja, IMHO OXXO has some good tips, and take time to smell the cactus!
kameyer70

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 05:32 PM

We're definitely taking time to smell the cactus... on the return trip we're spending two weeks (our honeymoon). Just need to get down there quick to meet the family flying in for the wedding.

Thanks again for the fantastic tips! I wish we were leaving now! :biggrin:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 05:35 PM

no sweat...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 06:08 PM

Yes it's totally doable....I've driven LA to La Paz & San Diego to La Paz in 2 days of daylight driving only...alone...and I'm a girl!:lol::lol::lol: It can be slightly intimidating the first time you drive it, so take it easy & watch the other vehicles on the road...roads are narrower & not as well maintained as you're probably used to. I'm with Comitan...I wouldn't know what to DO with that extra half day!:lol: And I ALWAYS stop & take a bazillion pics at Catavina! Don't forget a camera!! And top off the gas every chance you get!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 06:20 PM

We are older and don't drive like the young folks. To us, your idea is just fine if you are driving to get somewhere and not wanting to sight see.

We live next to the border, and if we cross at 6 AM, Guerrero Negro is not a problem. You can do it.

However, I hope you have more time coming back to stop and enjoy Baja:yes:

Diane

oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HookPeeing in the desert is part of the experience. My wife and I would rather hang it out along the road than deal with MOST mexican banos.

Totally agree. It is a lifetime experience to be standing there alongside Hwy 1 with your valuables in your hand when the Cabo/Tijuana bus passes by and the passengers don't pay attention.

Doing this trip in two days should only be done out of necessity. The trip is even more enjoyable over two weeks or two months.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.