Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kitchen and Laundry Shelves
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:06 AM
Kitchen and Laundry Shelves

Hi,

Non-creative types, us, looking for creative ideas to steal.

Thinking about shelves for the kitchen and laundry area---something different and creative, not just the adjustable metal strips, with adjustable shelves.

Thanks
Diane

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 10:08 AM

Us homebuilders/remodelers must put the wine/4WD/tequila/beer/fishing/surfing/food
thread posters to sleep quickly!

JDT, I am a new convert to the rubber coated wire shelving from mfr's like Closetmaid and Rubbermaid. They have lots of different shelf config's, baskets, containers, racks...check their websites.

My remodel last year in Denver had me stumped with the same dilemma. First thought was that the wire shelving looked "cheesy". But, it was inexpensive, and provides maximum storage capacity for closets, cabinets and pantries.

What else have you seen?

[Edited on 5-25-2007 by bajadock]

bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 01:22 PM

Ive gone with the home depot / lowes self supporting and moveable plastic shelve packs. You can bring them into mex easily, and use them without rusting anywhere for everything. They come in 2 or 3 sizes of shelves then you cut the support tubes (easy to do, theyre plastic) to length. Best of all cheep!

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 01:55 PM

go on line and look at Ikea stuff....lot of good ideas there...

we got great kitchen cabinets for the Ojos casita.....unique, serviceable and very practical..We also found some great stuff mooching around the secundo stores, especially in La Paz....

good luck with the new place "neighbor".......

george

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:47 PM

There's always cement shelves...my first casa had wooden shelves in pantry...big mistake!!! It was like a bug freeway! Second casa I got smart & went with vinyl-coated wire shelves, which makes it much harder for the bugs to traverse.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 09:10 PM

We had a soldadura, or welder, do metal frames, and put in wooden shelves coated Barniz 610, a Comex varnish. No bug problems yet after 3 years. The closet in our first building/guesthouse has concrete shelving but it is bulky- lots of lost space. A word of warning on the welding though-- be sure they don't burn your floor tile while doing the installation.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 08:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. :yes:

Diane

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 09:16 AM

Diane,

There are sooo many possibilities.

If you work with wall brackets, you can use almost anything for shelves.
Old surf boards or snowboards are a favorite in some areas, trailer ramps are popular in others. Think creative !!

Tons of ways to make wood shelves (you could add a lip to keep stuff on the shelf in those earthquakes.)

Tie together thin strips of wood, chola, or driftwood.

Plywood covered with: epoxy paint, fiberglass, tile, ...

Glass, colored plexiglass, GRANITE, :biggrin:, .....

Metal framed shelves with screen metal top surface, galv, powder coat or paint ... or with another material on top ie colored plexi or wood slats.

Poured concrete (add rebar and really strong brackets).

PVC/fiberglass fence/railing boards in 1x or 5/4x thickness are available in various widths. Many shapes/sizes are available for frames and supports.
A custom creation with this stuff would be rot and bug proof.

Too many options....... Have fun !!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 09:33 AM
Diver

Some interesting ideas---however, some of them create fear in my heart.

Sounds like you are the creative type, like one of my sons. He has an amazing collection of items in his garden and it really looks great. I also have friends who can pick up a piece of junk and make it look like it came from Home Beautiful.

Then there is me. Take a piece of junk, or found item from nature, work with it, put it in home, and it still looks like a piece of junk or something I tripped over.

We, however, are working on that part of us----in our home here, we have finally moved beyond off-white and beige. :lol::lol:

Thanks, maybe we will get brave.

Diane:yes::yes:

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
.... we have finally moved beyond off-white and beige. :lol::lol:

Thanks, maybe we will get brave.

Diane:yes::yes:

Then you'll be pleased to know that you do not have to keep that white wire shelving white. Spray paint for plastic has been perfected, and can brighten up those little white boxes... think tangerine kitchen walls with yellow or blue shelving.:light::biggrin::dudette:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.