Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Internet in a Truck Camper
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 01:58 PM
Internet in a Truck Camper

Is there some form of dish made for a slide in that will give us internet access, Baja and the states??? TV not important, internet a must.......

I could write a book on what I "don't" know about this.

HELP NOMADS, HELP!

cap'n g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 02:13 PM

satellite internet will be your only choice -- search SATELLITE INTERNET on this site; you'll see it all!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 02:38 PM

Capt. George
I recently inquired about auto-lock satillite...If I remember correctlly...$55-5900 setup/install...$16-1800 you setup and lock-in like satellite TV.
Monthly charge...$50 mas y mise for a slow upload $90 for next step up..
I am waiting for a cell service like I have now (runs as fast as DSL) only in Baja too.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 03:05 PM

will hunt down losfrailes..........pls check U2U cap'n g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 03:34 PM

You're on the right track with Los Frailes. You can learn how to do it with Hughes Net. He should be able to help you do it. When you get signed up with Hughes net then you will use that as your primary internet source all year.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 05:28 PM

Pescador

have you seen Tony Shanley? he was down your neck of the woods..a 20 ft Parker, he's from San Diego.....

thanks, got a U2U to Losfrailes, awaiting a reply.....

hope to see you...come up to Ojos for some good linguado in July.........

cap'n g

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 05:28 PM

I am wondering about the long term feasibility of sat given the incredible proliferation of wireless for very reasonable (or nothing, in some cases) cost. It's growing fast even in Mexico. Seems like every little hamlet is getting it or has it. Dont know about Abreojos, of course. Faster than sat, too, as I understand it.

Of course, for the addict like me, sat may make sense.

But if all you need to do is browse every couple days, pay bills, an occasional VOIP call, etc., the cost of a sat system and the monthly fees will buy alot of internet cafe time. You avoid maintenance, repairs, storage, too.

Any opinions???

BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 05:58 PM

Check this site.

http://orbitalenterprises.net/store.html#mobility_kits
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:22 AM

Hook, it all depends. I use Sat (Hughes) year around. In Mexico, the smaller hamlets will probably not get the fiberoptic lines that the bigger cities get. I will never live in a larger city either in Mexico or in the US so for us it works very well and the cost is less than when I needed an internet provider and an extra phone line. So, it lets us stay in touch, use voip, and keep me sharp as a tack with the daily crossword puzzles. But, hey if you go to the big metropolitan areas like San Carlos or Loreto, then it probably makes less sense.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
Pescador

have you seen Tony Shanley? he was down your neck of the woods..a 20 ft Parker, he's from San Diego.....

thanks, got a U2U to Losfrailes, awaiting a reply.....

hope to see you...come up to Ojos for some good linguado in July.........

cap'n g

I think he was pictured in the report of San Marcos Mike's tournament. Check out www.islasanmarcos.com go to enter and then click on the special events section. We left in March and will be back in Sept., although we bought a house in San Bruno which is just south of San Lucas. I spend a lot of time in La Bocana with Juanchy and his brother in Oct. or Nov. We stopped at Abreojos but it looked like the launching and everything is easier at La Bocana. We are presently enjoying the great weather of Colorado and will stay here till Sept.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 08:00 AM

Launching much better at Bocana....You can launch at Campo Renee or a bit further up the estero, and then deal with the inlet...much better then it's talked about. Just use your head...Also you can usually fish out of there (in comfort) some protection from the west wind...

Mi bueno amigo Juanchy y Javier. just mention Vikingo. Hope to see you in the fall, we'll be in Abreojos...Road heading out of town towards Bocana, can't miss us, just ask for Vikingo y Deborah...see you then.

will check out Tony, a good friend.

losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 09:52 AM

Hook,

It is certainly a better deal to use the local internet cafes that are connected to Mexican DSL. Cheaper and all that. However, most of the small hamlets that have only dialup connections leave a lot to be desired, except that here you do have nothing but time on your hands to wait while something downloads, that is when you can get on the system.

DirecWay is far superior to dialup. And it is the ONLY solution in all of Baja when you are off the grid. Starband does not work very well here. Many prior users have gone over to DWay.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 12:42 PM

Starband down to GN on a .75 is good.
Starband on a 1 meter dish works very well in the area discussed in this thread and down to Agua Verde, below there you should be on a 1.2 meter. Now that DW has imposed it's new FAP rules it is even more attractive and less per month. Plus it's the only company that offers a free online certification course so you can install your own system.
Of course with HN you also have to get a dealer that will get you on satmex 5 or 6 in order to work with the standard dish in that area and further south and depending on where new accounts are going at any given moment with HN, it can be very difficult to get on a sat with good Mexico coverage.

Starband VS HN:

12 month contract VS 15 month

$49 a month vs $59 per month

TS in the USA vs New Delhi

10 e-mail accounts with 10MB storage each vs 5 (not sure what kind of storage you would have with HN e-mail accounts)

10MB additional personal web space which can be used for file storage VS none.

newsgroup access included free vs none included

10 hours of back up dial up service free VS $15 per month ( does not mean anthing in terms of mexico, just USA)

Free customer installer certification on-line so you don't have to hide the fact you are moving it and can install it yourself VS $150 to $250 to get certified as an installer at a training seminar so you are authorized to move it.

Direct 24VDC input to the modem if you don't have AC VS multiple DC voltages at the input if you want to run on batteries or solar without an inverter or genetrator.

Rust proof fiberglass antenna VS stamped metal (they may have changed back I am not sure)

Static IP available for an extra $4.99 per month vs not available if you want it.

Service on IA-7 which covers all the USA, a lot of Mexico, and Southern Canada. Your elevation angles in the NE will be very low so trees and other obstacles will be more of an issue but if you have LOS you have service. No need for Sat changes.

500Kbps X 128 vs 750 X 128 up to... LOL

1 GB in a 7 day rolling period ( *B Fap )Note this is not currently being enforced on the Nova network but I am sure it will be implemented at a future time especially if you are a large user VS about 200MB in a 24 hour period before FAP kicks in after which you are throttled down to about 24Kbps for 24 hours ( HN FAP ).

I think most here would agree that customer satisfaction with both companies by actual users is similar....it's a love hate relationship and a bit of a roller coaster at times. look at threads on various forums regarding slow speeds and mysterious disconnects that happen with both companies. I think it would be folly to imply one was better than the other in this respect.

Any way thats my sell.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 01:05 PM

OK, here we go. The DirecWay system works fine up and down the entire peninsula. No need for larger than the .74 dishes for the entire length of Baja and Mainland Mexico.

The FAP concern is hardly important unless you are downloading a ton of music or movies or something of that nature. Seldom will you exceed what the account limit is, and recovery rate is very good should you go over.

Getting the system commissioned to SM6 (you should stay away from SM5 with the HN7000S) is no problem. Just take the system you purchased from a dealer that does not necessarily want to install it and have your certified installer (one with an installer ID) get the system commissioned onto SM6. You will get superior service from that satellite.

The reason to avoid SM5 is a very heavy load of people on that bird. The HN7000S (which is what you will get if you buy a new system) performs very well on SM6.

With the HOME plan, you can expect to get fairly good download speeds and upload speeds about the same as a fair dialup. Cost 60/month

Withe the PRO plan, you will get download speeds of up to 1000Kbs, and up to 200 Kbps upload. Cost 70/month.

The PRO plus plan gives you a bit faster download speeds but essentially the same upload speed. No real reason to go there. Cost about 80 a month.

If you want you can go to a much larger dish, the .98 meter dish, and a 2 watt radio and get even faster, but for what reason. Unless you are doing business that requires that type of service, why pay upwards of 150 a month.

You might want to run a search on this site for the pros and cons of DirecWay versus Starband. There are many who feel that DWay is far superior, even tho a bit more expensive.

Those two systems are the only options you have here, as the Blue system is now a spot beam system and does not work down here.

Good luck!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 02:04 PM

Very good information...but I still hope Carlos Slims(?) wakes up soon and offers the very best DSL on cell soon:bounce:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 02:29 PM

losfrailes, you are aware that HN just changed their Fap policy in the past few weeks and that the recovery rate is not what it used to be? A search on datastormusers will tell you the whole story, basically The bandwidth allotment has been reduced drastically and not to many people are happy about it. It used to be 175 MB in a 4-6 hour period, now it's 200MB in a 24 hour period. The recovery also used to be not to onerous but that has also changed drastically now.

You can find similar stories on broadband reports and dslreports along with the usual sat internet forums

Ancedotal testing is showing that on the home plan which allows you about 200MB in a day the fap penalty is 24 hours at about 34Kbps with a bucket refill rate of anywhere from 18Kbps to 34Kbps. Here is just one of a series of good threads discussing the new rules and how folks are reacting and trying to figure them out.

Fap thread on datastormusers

here is a story about the new changes from broadband reports:

HughesNet Users Revolt Against 24-Hour Caps

I personally think folks need to think about how they are going to use satellite internet and make their purchasing decisions knowing the most current and up to date info.

I also have had a significant number of HN customers come to me and change their service because they were having trouble with the HN Fap policy, especially lately. In this day and age when doing a software update or watching an hour or two of video it is not hard to exceed a 200MB per day cap. The converts to *B that I saw wanted the ability to download more than 200MB occassionally, as in 3-4 times per month without beigh hit with a virtually unusable connection for 24 hours. If you are doing security updates, downloading new software, performing PC maint that requires you to download software, watching the latesest news videos from Utube or whatever, it will not be hard to exceed. If the connection is just for light surfing and e-mail then perhaps you can live with the limitation and it will work out fine for you. To each his own.

Plus like I said buy the stuff in the states, bring it down and install it yourself, no need to get a certified installer to request a satellite change and install it for you. The current commissioning satellite for new HN accounts is not sat mex 6 and am I not correct in noticing that most HN dealer/installers will want anywhere from $100 to $200 for a sat change if you did not buy the equipment from them? Just curious because thats what all the HN dealers I know do.

Most baja types like to be independent and value being their own installer/troubleshooter. Not everyone does however.

I am not saying either system is better...just that they are different and what would suite one consumer well may not suite another as well.

Competition and diversity are what make the US economy great and the more choices a consumer has, the better off they are. An educated consumer is my best customer and being the #3 Starband sat internet dealer in the nation last year, I can't be too wrong.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
1 GB in a 7 day rolling period ( *B Fap )Note this is not currently being enforced on the Nova network but I am sure it will be implemented at a future time especially if you are a large user VS about 200MB in a 24 hour period before FAP kicks in after which you are throttled down to about 24Kbps for 24 hours ( HN FAP ).

I've been a Starband customer for almost five years. It has only been recently that my usage has been monitored. IT SUCKS! I used to listen to streaming jazz...NOT ANYMORE. If I had a viable alternative I would switch.

And what's up with the rolling BS? The only way to get ahead is to stay offline for 7 days. :fire:

Also...What's the best way to fine tune the sat signal? Tune dishnet to the best signal? (That's what I do now. I'm getting a 6.9 signal and would like to bump that a bit but I'm off the scale with sat tv... 110+.) I wish that Starband had a signal meter like dishnet.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 05:01 PM

The BigWooo is in the living room right now doing a dry-run setting up the new Starband equip we got to take to Baja Sur in a couple weeks.

After several months of comparing the two sat. internet options for our area , Starband seemed like a better fit for us.

- BigWooo took the Starband online installation course (and passed the test, thank goodness) so he can set it up himself when we get there.

- We can put the dish away to preserve the equipment for the months we're not there since we're only part-timers right now, and will be able to set it back up again when we return. With HughesNet, we'd have to either leave the equip. up or pay for Los Frailles to come all the way across the peninsula to set us up each time.

- We can "hibernate" the service during the months we're not in BCS and won't have to pay for all the time we're not there.

- I don't understand all the bandwidth stuff, but didn't like the sound of limitations on the HughesNet basic plan.

We'll be the first in our "neighborhood" to have Starband. Everybody else has had Los Frailles install them a HughesNet system. Of the neighbors whom we're personally acquainted, all have been more than happy to hand over the installation to Wayne , the thought of setting up a system themselves being too daunting. Wayne generously answered all our questions about his system when we were evaluating the 2.

The Starband dish for our area is the 1.2 meter which is too big to mount on the roof of the casita unfortunately but the other benefits outweighed this slight bummer for us.

We got the Starband system from Bajabus who has been great to work with. If I'm able to post from Pta. Pequeña in a couple of weeks, then everything went smoothly.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:13 PM

Dave are you still using the 360? thats pretty old technology at this point but you can use the sig meter in the mission control software to peak the dish. you are going to have to have someone look at the meter while you go out to the dish and do a push pull test. Simply stand behind the dish and very lightly pull on the dish at the 3 O'Clock position. Hold for about 10 sec or until the wife yells out if it went up or down. repeat at the 6, 9 and 12 O'clock position. the dish is peaked when the signal always goes down no matter where you push or pull and then bounces back to it's highest when you let go. the New Nova modems have everything on board now so it is possible to connect a wireless router directly to the modem and then go out to the dish with a wife enabled PDA or laptop and peak like that. If you want one of the new Nova modems I'll cut you a good deal since I still owe you a bottle of Cazadores.....LOL. If you want a meter I can send you a loaner to SD as long as you get it back to me in a month or so. Also what is the noise figure printed on the LNB ( the smaller of the boxes that the coax runs to). The lower the noise figure the more sensitive the RX with a .8 or a .9 being the worst and a .6 or a .5 making a measurable difference. In addition if the LNB is a model NJR2544HWN you can remove the transmit reject filter that was used on many of the older systems for another gain in sig quality. let me know and I will send you instuctions on how to do that.

Yes the days of no bandwidth monitoring were great but they are long gone....it was a great selling point for a long time.

Oladulce.....great to hear you are getting ready to do a test run in the states. It's really not rocket science and there is no reason someone with an independent spirit, a few tools, good set of instructions, a dealer willing to talk them through it/support them and some patience can't install one of these systems themselves and save quite a bit. Doing a dry run in the States is a good idea.

I know losfrailes does a great job because I have heard good things about him from many folks and for a lot of people you can't beat the convenience of having someone else install the whole set up for you. The only point I wanted to make is that the two systems are different, both have their warts and shining spots so folks really need to evaluate what they are going to do before deciding on a purchase.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

And what's up with the rolling BS? The only way to get ahead is to stay offline for 7 days. :fire:

Dave I forgot to add that you do not have to wait 7 days to exit the FAP, You have to drop to an exit threshold of about 645MB in the 7 day average. The way it's calculated the new day gets added and the first of the 7 gets dropped then the new average is calculated. Hence why it's called a rolling average

Or call and beg forgiveness and they will lift it right away although you can't do that very often.

Also keep in mind that with *band only the download counts towards the FAP. With HN it's both up and down added together.

Anyone considering sat INTERNET or with sat INTERNET should load a bandwidth monitor on their PC for 2 primary reasons
1) you can contest what they say you are using
2) it gives you a good idea of what service and service level you will realistically need to purchase.

I like this one but it does cost $19.99 after the 30 day free trial period

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.