Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Internet in a Truck Camper
Dave
Elite Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 5-26-2007 at 11:35 PM
OK, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
you are going to have to have someone look at the meter while you go out to the dish and do a push pull test. Hold for about 10 sec or until the wife yells out if it went up or down. repeat at the 6, 9 and 12 O'clock position.

I think I might get arrested. Can I do this at night?

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 01:04 AM

I have a headache............it's like outa space cap'n g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 06:18 AM

Dave, remeber to hoot out loud and then exclaim "ok I'm letting it go" after each pull and then "OK I'm ready to pull again baby"........LOL

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 06:43 AM

Thread hijacked as a paid advertisement for Bajabus.:fire::fire:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
I have a headache............it's like outa space cap'n g

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

I so hoped to see some simple answers in simple English.

Diane

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 09:50 AM

Check in with Mike. He uses a Datastorm system and always seems to be connected rom his RV. If this link doesn;t come up live, check one of his old posts. Also, check out his website for some Baja and Mexico adventures.

www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

How is answering the question and presenting an alternative to HN hijacking the thread?

4 posts out of 22

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 10:58 AM

no hijack!!!
this was good info

com'on if we found a better service we'd all change:light:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 01:57 AM

Hi George,

You might look into the MotoSat system.

http://www.motosat.com

It's the system that Tioga George uses to post his daily blog from his Tioga motorhome as he travels in Baja and in the U.S.

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/Mr.DataStorm.htm

Fellow Nomad Desertbull also has one installed on his 5th wheel and uses it to post SCORE Baja off-road race information, as well as other posts from races around the country.

Miguelamo ;D :D :)
mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 12:58 PM

For those thinking about he StarBand service,

http://www.antennaman.tv/starband.htm

Information from another source. Pay attention to the part about having the modem needing to be hooked to a PC/server.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 01:07 PM

Isn't that interesting. You must be hooked up to a PC for the system to work. Sounds like a warmup of the old, really old, DW4000 from DirecWay that has been copied.

That technology has been replaced about three times over. The current technology with DirecWay requires nothing more than the modem being turned on.

Also note the last paragraph in the description of services. If you choose to not continue with the 'contractual commitment' in the first year, a fee of $499 applies, unless its the residential plan, then the fee is $599. Second year $299.

Quote:
Originally posted by mexibob
For those thinking about he StarBand service,

http://www.antennaman.tv/starband.htm

Information from another source. Pay attention to the part about having the modem needing to be hooked to a PC/server.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 01:29 PM

1. That's old info. The 48x modems aren't even available anymore. You can't even commission one if you buy it used. All new systems are based off the Nova modem.

2. That information is incorrect. The 48x modem had all software in firmware - and was perfectly capable of going on-line by itself, at which point you could plug it into a hub/router and get service to multiple PCs.

3. A PC was only needed with the 360 series modems, and they have not been available for a LONG time. This is also stated pretty clearly in the link. Could there be a reason neither of you saw it?

[Edited on 5-28-2007 by Roberto]
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Huh?
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 01:35 PM

Yep, was looking at outdated information. I stand corrected.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 01:36 PM

Now lets take a look at a comparison between what is provided by HN, the largest supplier of this technology, and Wild Blue, the second largest provider of this technology.

I confess I could not find any direct comparison to HN vs Starband.

http://www.getdsltoo.com/HughesNet-vs-WildeBlue.asp?gclid=CM...
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 07:35 PM

You can't get WB in Baja even if you wanted it so I am not sure how informative a comparison is but yes in terms of FAP and experience it is not as good in my opinion.

The nice thing about both *B and HN is they can both be taken mobile and will work anywhere in the Satellites footprint.

Another thing to consider is that if you like the thought of an Auto-pointing unit and have the bucks for it, the new D3 controller used on Motosat platforms (AKA Datastorm) is compatible with the *B Nova modems.

I posted a pretty good comparison of *B VS HN up thread. If any of it is wrong or something could be added please do so so this thread remains current and a good source of info

The link above has the old HN FAP policy info. It has changed significantly as noted previously in this thread so keep that in mind when looking at the info on that link.

bajameerkat

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
losfrailes, you are aware that HN just changed their Fap policy in the past few weeks and that the recovery rate is not what it used to be? [...] It used to be 175 MB in a 4-6 hour period, now it's 200MB in a 24 hour period.

Here's the HughesNet article on the "Fair Access Policy":

[url=http://legal.hughesnet.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?pageid=fairaccess&Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity[OID[BD8BE0839F414B4 FB7CDDCA10EFA5369]]]http://legal.hughesnet.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages/...[/url]

For Home it's 200 MB, for Pro it's 375 MB and for Pro Plus it's 425 MB/day. We have the Pro Plus plan and this FAP hasn't kicked in once since we started using HughesNet a month ago. We don't watch videos (on purpose) but do lots of browsing, email and even talk on the phone through Vonage (www.vonage.com, $24.99/month unlimited calls to/from the US).

I posted an article with pictures of a HughesNet dish if anyone is interested:

http://loreto.ehuna.org/archives/000228.html

My setup is not mobile, but is fixed in our house in Loreto. I did call Los Frailles and he did a great job in making it work for our friend T.

[Edited on 5-29-2007 by bajameerkat]
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajameerkat
We have the Pro Plus plan and this FAP hasn't kicked in once since we started using HughesNet a month ago. We don't watch videos (on purpose) but do lots of browsing, email and even talk on the phone through Vonage (www.vonage.com, $24.99/month unlimited calls to/from the US).

Could you provide more info re: Vonage? Specifically, what kind of a delay do you get? Is this comparable to a land-line phone call? If not, what's the difference?

Thanks.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajameerkat
Quote:
losfrailes, you are aware that HN just changed their Fap policy in the past few weeks and that the recovery rate is not what it used to be? [...] It used to be 175 MB in a 4-6 hour period, now it's 200MB in a 24 hour period.

Here's the HughesNet article on the "Fair Access Policy":

[url=http://legal.hughesnet.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?pageid=fairaccess&Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity[OID[BD8BE0839F414B4 FB7CDDCA10EFA5369]]]http://legal.hughesnet.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages/...[/url]

For Home it's 200 MB, for Pro it's 375 MB and for Pro Plus it's 425 MB/day. We have the Pro Plus plan and this FAP hasn't kicked in once since we started using HughesNet a month ago. We don't watch videos (on purpose) but do lots of browsing, email and even talk on the phone through Vonage (www.vonage.com, $24.99/month unlimited calls to/from the US).

I posted an article with pictures of a HughesNet dish if anyone is interested:

My setup is not mobile, but is fixed in our house in Loreto. I did call Los Frailles and he did a great job in making it work for our friend T.

[Edited on 5-29-2007 by bajameerkat]

Between my phone conversation and U2U with Las Frailles, and your article really make a few more things clear in my ever foggy mind.

A question if you are anyone else can answer. It is looking more and more like the way to go as soon as we are spending more time in Baja---

1. How can one judge how many MB they use in an average day?

BTW, when I spoke with Las Frailles on the phone I was in San Diego and he was in Baja. With his VOIP (sp) , there did not appear to be any delay at all.

Thanks
Diane

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 09:13 PM

Look up thread, I posted a link to a bandwidth monitor. it's 30 days free and does a good job telling you what you use per day, week and month.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.