Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Internet in a Truck Camper
bajameerkat

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Between my phone conversation and U2U with Las Frailles, and your article really make a few more things clear in my ever foggy mind.

A question if you are anyone else can answer. It is looking more and more like the way to go as soon as we are spending more time in Baja---

1. How can one judge how many MB they use in an average day?

BTW, when I spoke with Las Frailles on the phone I was in San Diego and he was in Baja. With his VOIP (sp) , there did not appear to be any delay at all.

Thanks
Diane

You can use an application like bajabus mentioned - if you are technical enough, that's a good way to go. Here's one that I used a long time ago: http://www.netlimiter.com/ - I think the "monitoring only"version is free.

HughesNet also provides a website you can use (https://www.myhughesnet.com/) once you're signed up. Once you login you go to Site Care > HughesNet Remote > View Usage Info and you get a table that lists how many MB you've downloaded every hour. Here's an example (table formatting was lost):

Date Time From Time To Min Used Download In MB Subject To FAP* Upload In MB
05/09/2007 16:00 17:00 60 37.82 No 2.54
05/09/2007 17:00 18:00 60 21.32 No 10.93
05/09/2007 18:00 19:00 60 9.62 No 0.38
05/09/2007 19:00 20:00 60 8.81 No 0.42
05/09/2007 20:00 21:00 60 2.15 No 0.26
05/09/2007 21:00 22:00 59 17.19 No 0.60
05/09/2007 22:00 23:00 60 12.62 No 0.50

"Check my usage" provides the following information:

· Date - The date usage data was recorded.
· Time From / Time To - Usage data is recorded in one hour increments by the system.
· Minutes - Number of minutes connected to the HughesNet network.
· Volume in Megabytes - Amount of data downloaded in Megabytes.
· Subject to FAP - Indicates whether usage was subjected to FAP during the period monitored.

>BTW, when I spoke with Las Frailles on the phone I was in
>San Diego and he was in Baja. With his VOIP (sp) , there
>did not appear to be any delay at all.

If I had to guess, I'd probably say he was using VOIP over a DSL/land line connection. To answer Roberto's question:

>Could you provide more info re: Vonage? Specifically, what
>kind of a delay do you get? Is this comparable to a land-
>line phone call? If not, what's the difference?

The answer will depend on your Internet connection:

1) I use Vonage as my main line in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have a cable modem connection with high download/upload speeds and low latency. So the call quality is extremely good - we don't see any difference comparing it to a land-line or cell phone call.

2) For the Vonage service using the HughesNet internet satellite, that's another story. There's plenty of bandwidth for Vonage (Hughesnet has 1.5 Mbps down/700 Kbps up, while Vonage only needs 90 Kbps). But the latency, or the time it takes for a "network packet" to go from point A to point B is very high (due to the Satellite connection).

So there will be 3-4 seconds of delay between the time I stop talking and my buddy hears me (or vice-versa). We now use the word "over" after we end a sentence, similar to hald-duplex radio protocols.

In addition the call will be clear to the person on the Loreto side (with the HN satellite connection), but can easily break up on the other side. This is due to the low upload speed which peaks at 200 Kbps, but sometimes can be much lower.

Hope this helps.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 07:02 AM

jdtrotter (Diane)

When we spoke on the phone I was using VOIP with a land line. Not DSL as is suggested but a normal land line. Therefore no appreciable latency lag.

If you are using VOIP via satellite there WILL be a latency lag. No way around it with a 1 or 2 watt radio and 22,000 miles distance to and from the satellite.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 08:08 AM

The other important thing to point out regarding VOIP over a sat connection is that it's not just the latency/high ping times over the connection but the degree of jitter in the ping times. All VOIP services use proprietary compression algorithms to over come delay and smooth out the conversation so to speak. BUT that delay has to be consistent in order for the algorithm to work well. What happens on sat connections, especially the lower tier services is that network congestion at any given time can cause ping times to vary from 700 millisec to as high as 3 sec in very unpredictable ways. Thats called a connection with a lot of jitter.

Your upload data packets are transmitted in very precise slots of time and frequency. Imagine a train with a long chain of cars traveling from earth to the satellite at the speed of light. It's moving fast enough but space on each car (or slot) is limited. When it comes time for your data packet to get on-board, the next car may already be full. In fact during rush hour your packet may have to wait for several cars to go by before it can get on-board. This unpredictability wreaks havoc with VOIP compression algorithms.

Download capacity on the train is much greater and that is why when placing a call from a VSAT you can hear the other party perfectly well but depending on network traffic at any given moment your voice will appear garbled and broken up at times.

A land line it is not but if you have no other alternative it is better than sliced bread. In fact late in the evenings or early AM when very few are using the network, the conversation is actually quite good once you get past the initial hello are you there moments.

The only way to over come jitter on a consistent basis is to go with the higher priced commercial enterprise services that set aside a dedicated amount of your bandwidth specifically for your VOIP packets. Reserving seats on a train to continue the analogy.

Expect to spend $250 to as high as $1200 per month depending on your other bandwidth requirements

Hughes, Spacenet and Idirect are some of the more popular companies offering such services.

Other wise you get what you can and make the best of it always keeping in mind that what is working well this hour, day, week or month many not work as well the following hour, day, week or month depending on how your transponder or gateway is loaded at that particular instant in time.

[Edited on 29-5-2007 by Bajabus]

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by losfrailes
jdtrotter (Diane)

When we spoke on the phone I was using VOIP with a land line. Not DSL as is suggested but a normal land line. Therefore no appreciable latency lag.

If you are using VOIP via satellite there WILL be a latency lag. No way around it with a 1 or 2 watt radio and 22,000 miles distance to and from the satellite.

Thanks---still learning. I thought you were on your computer.

Diane

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
Look up thread, I posted a link to a bandwidth monitor. it's 30 days free and does a good job telling you what you use per day, week and month.

Thanks---I downloaded it and it is really interesting and informative, now that I am beginning to understand more of this. :yes:

Thanks again
Diane

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.