Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: CABNET MAKER IN MULEGE-
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

thumbup.gif posted on 5-26-2007 at 12:03 AM
CABNET MAKER IN MULEGE-

SORRY- PHOTOS NO LONGER HOSTED FOR THIS TWO MONTH OLD POSTING

Julio has been discovered in Mulege...bigtime. When he started work at our house, everything had been ripped out of the kitchen except the stove and fridge, so everything you see is his work. All that remains now is the tile work and the new sink

Breakfast bar from the livingroom

Notice the encased fridge on the right end

Kitchen side of breakfast bar

Believe it or not, the only tool used to get the burned decorations in the wood is a small electric hand grinder with a metal cutting 3" disk.

There is a prize for the person who finds tile like the yellow one shown in this pix- dinner for two in Mulege at the restaurant of your choice

Start to finish was eight working days. Julio's shop and casa can be found on the corner of the second street sign after passing the mission (across from the soccer field). If his dark blue pickup is not there then neither is he. :yes:

[Edited on 6-22-2007 by CasaManzana]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 01:08 AM
Simply beautiful work

Wow,:wow::o:O:o are those all hand-carved? He's got some serious Baja style there too. I especially like the fridge. Does he do tile kitchens too? (pant pant pant...) Sign me up!

btw, what woods does/did he use? Thanks.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 01:38 AM

Lovely!

Iflyfish
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 05:33 AM

Julio really does great work.:bounce: What kind of wood? What's the counter top made of? Your kitchen is beautiful.:bounce: Thanks for the pictures.:D
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:05 AM

a little too "busy" for my tastes, but without getting close looks like solid craftsmanship.
so, what i 'd like to know is how much dineros for that job and can you break it down to some comparative unit $$, per Lf or SF etc?

i'll like to visit him about my future out door cocina once my trailer goes away.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:22 AM

outstanding!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 07:21 AM
a few answers.......

The counter tops are of 5/8" marine grade ply. Julio says the wood stock is "Mexican pine", what ever that is. I don't see this good quality in any lumber yard here in Mulege. The whole job, out the door price...well, in this case...in the door price -was $2,501 USD @11:1 exchange rate. No, Julio doesn't do tile work. In addition to cainets, he does doors, window frames, headboards for beds and bars. Pop into Mely's restaurant just as you come into town to see his bars. The doors and windows can be seen at the new reality office across the street from the water store, and at Mely's too.:bounce: If this style is too much action for your weak heart Cap'tn, Julio can tone it down to a well-built hohum style...watch for the ads in AARP. In fact, only about half his cabinets are the Baja-look cabinets. The other work is very plain and simple...I call it Early Home Depot but still the same great quality. Be sure to tell Julio that Casa de Manzana sent you.

(edited for spelling...can't spell for siht)

[Edited on 5-26-2007 by CasaManzana]
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 07:35 AM

Casa......Looks like a very nice job and good workmanship........AT AN UNBELIEVABLE PRICE!!!!!!!! very cheap.. Custom cabinet work in most U.S. in custom shops runs between $200 to $400 a linieal foot, depending on quality of hardware, finish, design and details. Colud there be approximately 25 feet?....... Enjoy! ++C++
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 09:05 AM

Thanks for the PIX CM! Yours is a very comfy kitchen. "AARP grade"...nice line! From the spice "pantry" in the corner, looks like you COOK!

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 11:00 AM

For fun only I estimated cost of this nice kitchen at San Francisco area pricing. I am fair at estimating footage from a photo after all these years.
Basic Cabinets (no special hardware)...................$36,750.00
Carvings (No one would want to do it)...................$18500.00
Finish interior/exterior (very high quality).................$4900.00
California Sales tax...................................................$3437.61
Installation (easy install)..........................................$2500.00
Total....$47605.61
Conclusion...I will never open a shop to compete:lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 11:26 AM

I believe what he calls "Mexican Pine" is Sugar Pine. Probably from Canada. Down here, it's called Tabla. 3/4 inch but called "one by ---" in the states.

Albert ----- Does that sound about right?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 11:28 AM

Yikes !! I need to do cabinet work in San Fran !!

I bet I could get them built, carved, finished and installed for under $20K !! :lol:

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Yikes !! I need to do cabinet work in San Fran !!

I bet I could get them built, carved, finished and installed for under $20K !! :lol:

I think (except Carving/grinding) there are shops that may meet your price range...we are not one of them.
It was in fun anyway. Her $2501.00 would not cover CA sales tax...:(
Believe me, there are people who willingly pay for reputation.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 12:40 PM

I discovered Julio two years ago. As far as I know, I was the first in The Orchard to have anything built by him. After showing residents my beautiful bed (I know, I know, I have heard all the jokes), many people wanted one. Since then he has done cabinetry and complete interior woodwork for many here.

While driving in the barrio where he lives one day ( just the other side of the Mission hill) I saw him working on furniture in his front yard. He wasn't represented by any retail stores and still isn't. I had brought down a new Queen size box spring and mattress, and I asked him if he could make a simple bed platform with a 1/2 lip so that the mattress wouldn't slide off. He said to bring him the exact measurements. He charged me $100.00 and delivered a bed much more beautiful than I ever imagined. The structure was exactly like I ordered and the measurements, including the height, was accurate. The finish was a rich, honey toned stain. It had hand carved, finely tooled wavy strands of tiny leaves, including six, hour-glass shaped legs with carving. My first thought was that it was a mistake. I didn't order that. My second thought was to keep my mouth shut and try not to smile like I had just gotten away with something. My third thought was, It could have been gaudy...in awful taste, but it wasn't....it was a real work of art.

I was so enthusiastic about his work that I thought about promoting him...for his benefit. Like some of the responses here, my mind started reeling about how he could set up production and export to the U.S. I told him how good his work was and that I would photograph pieces as he produces so that he could have a portfolio. He didn't seem interested. Now I see why. He was content and confident with doing things the way he has always done them. In fact, that is part of the charm of Mulege. The whole town operates that way. I'm sure that with the expanded local demand for his custom work, he is making more money than he ever imagined and is quite content to keep the production contained and manageable.

While this attitude may be frustrating in many in other, more developed areas of Baja, it is what is endearing to us here in Mulege.:yes:

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 04:51 PM

Really beautiful work, you are lucky to have him there. The only cabinet maker in Asuncion is also an abalone diver and always has too much work and a big line up...but he is now making our beach house cupboards. I too am working on a portfolio for our kitchen maker here...his specialty is cement counters, bars, tiling, columns etc. and he is pleased as he welcomes more work.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 05:25 PM

yep 'Manzana, we "wood" have different tastes i think at least on maybe interiors and finishes. but, those cabs do have a look of quality, regardless of style.

Say, i have an old pair of white bucks, Pat Boone vintage in great shape, from my Dad and never worn since about 1969.

I'll make you a hell of a deal on em! You'd look good in that kitchen with em on and some dandy slacks.:lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 05:49 PM

MIKE!!!

he doesn't wear clothes:spingrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:36 PM

"There is a prize for the person who finds tile like the yellow one shown in this pix- dinner for two in Mulege at the restaurant of your choice."

Did you check out the yellow colored tiles that Shari has photographed in her post? They would match the yellow tulip in your tile. It's hard to tell in the photo if the one you are looking to match is solid or mottled at bit.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 03:36 PM

Amazingly enough I got theat awesome yellow tile at the Commercial Hardware store in Vizcaino. I sure love your comal in the middle of the stove and your clock too...I sure would like some cupboards like that though.....dreamer!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 03:46 PM

None of the photos are working for me. :(

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.