BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tire fix in a can for 35 inch off-road tires?
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 11:03 PM
Tire fix in a can for 35 inch off-road tires?

I've lifted my Suburban since our last trip to Baja and put on 35 inch Pro Comp tires. Since I can only carry one spare, I was thinking of some sort of back-up plan. Anyone ever try to use the spare-tire-in-a-can on large off-road tires?

Anyone have any idea of the chances of finding a replacement 35 inch 12.5 R17 should I really blow one out?
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 07:48 AM

I carry a can also but have never tried using it.....now if they make a ....spare-SHOCK-in-a-can.....now that I would use.....;)
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 09:26 AM

I would use 2 can for the bigger tire.
I have used it before in our Explorer and it worked fine.
Put the first can in and roll the tire so the leak is down.
Add another can or more air after about 10 minutes.

Tires guys hate the stuff becasue they have to clean it out to repair the tire.

Why not carry a tire repair kit and a pump ??
My last double flat, we ended up putting a lag screw in the hole and driving to town after 20 minutes with a hand pump and 35 psi holding.

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 09:33 AM

I hate changing/repairing the tires on my bike, much less a car. I assume it's got to be fairly difficult to do even at home, much less in the middle of nowhere.

I'm glad to hear someone has used the two cans technique and it worked.

I made the mistake a while ago of going down with thin-treaded tires and won't do that again. I figure with new, heavy-duty off road tires my chances are slim of two flats....

Then again, it is Baja!
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
I've lifted my Suburban since our last trip to Baja and put on 35 inch Pro Comp tires. Since I can only carry one spare, I was thinking of some sort of back-up plan. Anyone ever try to use the spare-tire-in-a-can on large off-road tires?

Anyone have any idea of the chances of finding a replacement 35 inch 12.5 R17 should I really blow one out?

I suggest that you carry the Safety Seal Plug Kit for trucks. Then you need to carry air, either a good compressor or CO2.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 02:25 PM

Those tire-repair-in-a-can kits aren't designed for side wall rips.:spingrin:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 02:28 PM

Will a tube work for a reasonably small sidewall rip?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 02:49 PM

DENNIS, No you need the industrial strength version that comes in 55 gallon drums?:spingrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
Quote:

I suggest that you carry the Safety Seal Plug Kit for trucks. Then you need to carry air, either a good compressor or CO2.

Looks good... I think that is the ticket, along with a good 12v air compressor!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 03:29 PM

Cypress..........

I meant inner-tube..............not fix-a-flat.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the info.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 04:40 PM

Safwty Seal Plug Kit..........Absolutely.....ONLY WAY TO GO !!!!! ++C++:spingrin:
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 09:39 PM

Sooooo, ya gonna pull that low profile 35 off the wheel and put a tube in on the trail :?: A plug kit is the only way to go for small punctures / pin holes and every Baja off roader worth his dusty boogers should have one in the ditty box. But for that golf ball sized hole or a side wall slash, it's done baby, time for the spare. And then...if it's your only one ya better slow way down. If your like me and ya got 2 then haul hiney to the nearest Llanteria and get the offending flat on one side donut fixed. You know they still do heat press patches in Mex. Had one done in San Felipe last year for $15. Was a hole I could stick my thumb through at the side bitters :fire:. Oh, don't forget your Discount tire road hazard warranty so you can get a new, non-squished rolly thing.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 09:46 PM

I got three flats on my last trip, but fortunately had each of them fixed before the next one.... I only carry one spare.
Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 06:48 AM

Slime them all!
I have done this to my last 3 sets of tires (Pirelli's & BFG's) and haven't had a flat since, I still carry 2 spares, plugs and air compresser, I don't know if I have been lucky or if it really works.
I also use it in the ATV's that I leave down there with the same results.
They sell it at Harbor Freight by the gallon.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 07:06 AM

Slime? Can you explain?
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 07:06 AM

You will be out of luck with a sidewall tear or a big hole. Go get a used tire from a used tire shop {$25} and keep 2 spares, even if its not on a rim.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
You know they still do heat press patches in Mex. Had one done in San Felipe last year for $15. Was a hole I could stick my thumb through at the side bitters

Had one vulcanized like that also (in San Felipe) could stick my finger thru it right by the bead. Can't tell it ever had a hole except the rubber's smooth. no lettering. Great tire repair here.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Slime? Can you explain?

It's a green goo you squirt into the tire that seals future holes... m/c riders use it a lot.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Slime? Can you explain?

It's a green goo you squirt into the tire that seals future holes... m/c riders use it a lot.

Score has endorsed it for racers (for whatever that's worth). Walmart also carries it along with a competing similar product (yellow, not green) with a slightly lower price.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.