Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Word Of The Day...
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

sad.gif posted on 5-31-2007 at 02:18 PM
Word Of The Day...

Xenophobe: A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
I didn't quite know where to post this, but after reading quite a few of the postings in the "Amnesty" and "What Harm?" threads, it is obvious to me that there are more than a few Xenophobes lurking here on the Nomads board.
It seems quite ironic to me that I'm reading the type of comments I've seen lately on a board established by and for folks who profess a love of Mexico (and Mexicans!).
The thinly-veiled hostility towards Mexicans I have noticed recently is very troubling to me personally, and I think it may be time for me to take a break from the Nomads board for a while.
I will miss most of you, and while I enjoy reading your stories and sharing in your love of Baja, I need a respite from all of the negativity and name-calling that's been going on lately. If I wanted to hear that kind of stuff, I'd turn on FOX News.
Please take a minute or two to reflect on all of the GOOD things in your lives, and try to refrain from concentrating on all of the BAD things. I believe most of the Nomads have lived what could be considered a blessed existence so far, and I urge you all to remember that when doing the "Chicken Little" thing and laying the blame for all the world's ills at the feet of our Mexican neighbors.

With all of my love and respect... Cameron
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 03:48 PM
Thank you for your words, Cameron. I too am considering what you have said...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cameron
Xenophobe: A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
I didn't quite know where to post this, but after reading quite a few of the postings in the "Amnesty" and "What Harm?" threads, it is obvious to me that there are more than a few Xenophobes lurking here on the Nomads board.

Maybe we need more people like Cameron, Skeet (in his more lucid moments), and Bernie (often a voice of reason) addressing issues, from time to time, on this board.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 04:45 PM
Word

Uh huh!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 04:50 PM

Cameron ---

You brought your political/humanistic opinion here so, why don't you take it over to the political forum and throw it on the table and see who takes a bite at it.
What's with your grandiose exit? It's like throwing a beer at somebody in the bar and running out the door.

Join the party, Bro........
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 05:20 PM
Yeah Cameron, get with it!

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Cameron ---

You brought your political/humanistic opinion here so, why don't you take it over to the political forum and throw it on the table and see who takes a bite at it.
What's with your grandiose exit? It's like throwing a beer at somebody in the bar and running out the door.

Don't get the analogy Dennis but point taken. Stick around Cam and voice your worthy opinion. We need a balance here.

:cool:
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 06:44 PM

Cameron, I understand totally & don't find fault with your reasoning...please come back after your R&R!!

Lencho, I personally think it's good to know when someone is so offended by the name-calling, disrespect & total disregard for others experiences, opinions & feelings, that they pull the plug; be it permanently or just for a while. I appreciate the fact that Cameron announced he's leaving & WHY. I consider it to be like reading a thermometer...it tells us how sick we are! I hope Cameron's post will make some people re-read what they write before they hit the "post" button. Just because we don't agree with what someone says or how they express themselves, it doesn't make their experiences, thoughts & feelings wrong or invalid....is "agreeing to disagree" a lost art??? It IS possible to have a discussion without resorting to name-calling & belittling comments!! The majority of posters here exhibit that! In the overall scheme of things, there are a small amount of posts I find callous or truly offensive, and I'm not the only one...Cameron obviously does too! I look at my thermometer & make a case-by-case decision to speak out or simply avoid that thread or poster. Unfortunately, those who habitually disrespect others through their choice of words rarely have enough sense to HEAR the feedback they receive, or they flat don't give a rip that their words offend people. Sadly I think more people quietly fall off the radar scope than speak up & announce they're offended or had their fill of negativity, rudness & name-calling.

soulpatch, we all have different tolerance levels....I'm guessing that Cameron did let a lot roll off his back before he threw in the towel!

Lee, we need more people like Cameron, Skeet (in all of his moments) & Bernie on this board ALL OF THE TIME!!!!!!:yes::yes:

I can be irreverent with the best of them, but I really do try to not be blatantly or habitually offensive...yeah, I can be offensive with the best of them as well, when I chose to be; I just make a conscious effort to be civil more often than not! Sadly, I think that a small percentage of people confuse common human decency with political correctness, and heaven forbid they ever be viewed as PC!!!:(
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 06:52 PM

i'd say you should watch MORE FOX news.....:yes::yes::yes::yes:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-31-2007 at 07:00 PM
fair and balanced

and ready for more grief.

he needs a break! no biggie, the weather is getting hotter by the day in T Santos and a guy can only take so much before he has to turn on the A/C.

but really......no amnesty!:lol:

unless it's a 2 way street!!!!:light:

amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 02:56 AM

I also considered quitting but then I thought, no, it is only in the political forums like "amnesty", and its offshoot "what harm", where uncivility has reared its ugly head. The threads on the mega developments around Loreto and San Jose also fired up some passions. In other threads I've checked and contributed to, there is a tremendous amount of camaraderie, help given, praise, constructive support, humor, cleverness, wisdom, philosophy, amazing writing skills and overwhelming positivity. Xenophobia I think is the nature of the beast of politics, and negative expression is not really widespread throughout the board.

A good rest is good though for a tired soul. Hope to see you back soon, Cameron!

--Amir
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 06:59 AM

All People...... By nature we humans need to express ourselves, weather we are 7 years old or 70. The beauty of this board is people can feel passionate about something they love or passive. No one person is harming any one else in any way. There is nothing wrong about having diverse or different opinions. Negativity and questioning the statsus-quo and not going along with the mainstream brainwashed/braindead attitudes is a healthy thing......Have a great break Cameron. I for one will miss your posting and contributions. ++C++
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 08:27 AM

This is what happens when we take ourselves too seriously. Lighten up, folks, this is just a bulletin board, not the New York Times.

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 08:33 AM

Good word of the day. I've felt the same about some posts. I can live with, but not particularly enjoy the occasional incivility that comes up from time to time. The posts that make me uncomfortable are the ones that do appear to me to have racist overtones. Perhaps, because this is a Baja board it is more startling. It is important to speak out when you feel that way. I tend to be a little too chicken to do it, and just stop reading, so I applaud your coming forward. A humanistic opinion does belong here, not on the off topic section.

I've left this board for periods of time, but I have come back because of all of the good information, and for the people I have met, both on line and in person, that I enjoy.

If you don't rethink the going away part...at least come back. Your point of view is valuable.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 09:48 AM

Cameron:

I hope you'll continue to contribute. There is no better BAJA board on the www. I'm glad there is an off-topic section to help keep the Baja side more civil, but I can tell you from experience that NOTHING very productive ever happens over there. If you ask probing questions or challange people's ideas, you won't get a spirited debate, you'll just get flamed.
Getting flamed set me on fire, and I find myself feeding people to whom under normal circumstances I wouldn't give the time of day. I understand your conflict.
[ FAGabundo :lol: ]

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Cameron ---

Hey Cameron! I know what you mean, but hang around. Don't run out the door. Oh, and you can throw a beer at me if you want.:O

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 12:49 PM

Xenophobia. Yes a well established concept. Based on fears some real and some irrational. But what's a real danger and what's imagined?
Is someone posting things that offend you a real danger or an imagined danger? Is a post on a message board something you really need to flee from?
I guess some of my posts might hurt some feelings around here but sometimes I get annoyed by all the Rose colored glasses mentality on this board and want to shake things up a little.
I get a little upset sometimes too like when Skeets says it's okay for the locals to kill off all the fish. Well,now I know not everybody in the world thinks the same way as me and I'm smarter for it. But I try to adjust my thinking not theirs.
I'll take reality over Rosy denial any day even if it means getting my feelings hurt a little. I can take it.
So don't run away. Hang in there. If you don't like what someone posts( me probably) let them now you have a different prospective.
I learned a new thing from this post. It's called self-rightious indignation. Seems to be alot of that here.
Okay Cameron,let me have it! Rock my world.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 12:56 PM

I think Cameron did what he said he would do. He left while everybody pretended to talk to him while they talked to themselves.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 01:35 PM
What took you so long

I've felt that way many times. It's perfectly normal here. Time and time again we lose familiar Nomads because the verbal spigot runs wide open.
It's a rare person who can partake without compromise. Feelings get hurt. Especially when a Nomad you've grown to respect says something that hurts you to the core. I know I've done it and it's been done to me and there is little you can do besides apologize. Could end up as a "grudge". Tis a pity. People must find simple forgivness. Cut each other more slack. I'll try!

Cameron, you may be right about Xenophobia but sometimes these threads are to wide in scope. It draws us in too personally I regret.

tiempo yo reflejar tambien....

Dennis, cuidadoso!:saint:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
I think Cameron did what he said he would do. He left while everybody pretended to talk to him while they talked to themselves.

Ya, Cameron and everyone else. They all took there toys and went home because that bully Fishbuck was playing too rough.
Well maybe I better post some fluff and see if anyone will come back.
Anyone been to a good taco stand lately? How about beer, anyone like beer? How about weather, anyone like nice weather?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 04:34 PM
is this the reason?

untitled.jpg - 34kB
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 12:20 PM
Boo Hoo Hoo

"Some People Get Their Feelings Hurt". ??

One has to wonder how insecure someone must be to get their feelings hurt by anything written here by someone who disagrees with them.

Nothing said here should be a reason for Hurt Feelings. None of it really makes a difference in the Real World. It's simply a Mental Exercise and a Recreational break from the routine.

Concerning the original thought on this thread (Zenophobe), that's just another one of those CRAP words, like Homophobe, that people throw out to discredit the opinions they disagree with. Since any "Phobia" has to be an evidence of "unreasonable" fear or loathing, that must mean that those who disagree are unreasonable. More BS. There are a myriad number of Good reasons to oppose the action and effects of Illegal Immigration that don't involve any Racism at all.

[Edited on 6-2-2007 by MrBillM]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.