BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: East Cape beaches & ATV's...what's the deal?
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

question.gif posted on 6-2-2007 at 04:16 PM
East Cape beaches & ATV's...what's the deal?

A question for East Cape ATV owners...What up with riding on the beach? Do you do it?...After the big PROFEPA scare a couple of years back I gave up my ATV since I mostly rode on the beach. Now I see motos everyday on the beach and am giving serious thought to buying one and hiting the sand again. It sure makes fishing and snorkeling a lot easier! Some folks tell me it's foolish to beach ride considering the PROFEPA threat. Yet it seems like business as usual out there particularly south of BuenaVista. What do you fellow east capers think?
bajadave1
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 08:10 PM

C Man,

Does seem to be the norm again. I use mine for fishing beachside.

But............... I stay on the north side of town.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 02:22 PM

Thanks for the input bajadave.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 02:47 PM
Don't do it -- (I don't)...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
A question for East Cape ATV owners...What up with riding on the beach? Do you do it?...

Most ''tourist'' books state that it is against Federal law to ride motorized vehicles in Mexico. That said, it is common to see both gringoes and MX ATVers on the beach in the Todos Santos area. I don't know if people are aware of that law or not -- just ride where they want -- ignoring signs that warn them, etc.

I've ''let go'' of thinking that law will ever be enforced in my area. I don't have my ATV down there, but at some point, I'll haul it down. But I won't ride on the beach.

I know PROFEPA inspectors hang out between Pescadero and Todos so I know they're around. Selective enforcement might happen.

If you're white, and on an ATV on the beach, you'll probabaly get off just paying a fine. But then, you could lose your ATV.

Buy your ticket, take your chances. The more remote the area, the less chance of getting caught. Maybe. I don't think it's worth the risk. I'm conservative about the issue.

:cool:
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-3-2007 at 03:46 PM
No...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Don't do it

Please do!

Extensive therapy has cured my obsession with ATV's on the beach and warning folks against doing it. I now live for the day when an ATV is confiscated or riders injured, preferably both.

Please continue to disobey the law and encourage others to do the same. After all, it's the Mexican way.

Ride the beach all you want. Help turn my dreams into reality.

Please :saint:

jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 08:29 PM

Well said Dave,there is an area north of Cabo where the dunes are torn up and the noise is overpowering.Welcome to HELL:?:
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 08:51 AM
Death to law breakers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Please do!

Extensive therapy has cured my obsession with ATV's on the beach and warning folks against doing it. I now live for the day when an ATV is confiscated or riders injured, preferably both.

Please continue to disobey the law and encourage others to do the same. After all, it's the Mexican way.

Ride the beach all you want. Help turn my dreams into reality.

Please :saint:

It should be known that in my area of the East Cape most of the law breaking anarchists that ride on the beach are expat retiree's who put along with their dogs running behind. Not very threatening and certainly not worthy of wishing injury on them.

Lots of laws get "overlooked" in Mexico. That is both the downside and upside of living here. Preoccupation with every letter of the law being followed is very gringo and is one of the main reasons I don't live in the USA.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 11:33 AM

Oh!! So since it is the law that motorized vehicles aren't supposed to be on the beaches (occasionally losing oil & gasoline, breaking shells & creating obnoxious noise pollution) but that law is broken by locals & retired old gringos on a daily basis, then it's okay for everyone to do it? Is that the logic here? Join the lawbreakers rather than obey the law because it's NOT the USA? The law is the law, be it Taiwan, Cairo, USA or Baja! Why does being in Baja make it any less viable a law? Brings to mind the old question....if everyone else was jumping off a cliff.......

Most of us are guests in this country, and for those of us here under resident status, that can change in a heartbeat....or say, a ride on the beach! Respect the laws no matter where you are! :bounce:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 11:53 AM

Im with Dave, please ride and ride often, it increases the chances for confiscation.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 12:11 PM

Oh yea! Nothing goes better with a relaxed day on the beach than the loud noise and all the assorted BS of some dingbat with a wing-ding running up and down and all around you.:barf:
Offroad
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 12:30 PM

I have been visiting the East Cape for 4 years. Fewer people are violating the "no motor vehicles allowed on the beach" during my recent visits.
This area is incredible, and I hope everyone can take a step back and see the beauty. Changes are taking place, and each of us can make a difference.
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 01:12 PM

It's illegal.
Just because others do it, doesn't make it right.
What's the point of having a law then? Just to discourage SOME people?
And that law applies to all beaches, not just on the East Cape.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 08:51 PM
Breakin the law...

As a super avid beach fisherman I can say without a doubt I have walked more beach miles since the first PROFEPA scare than any sane person would care for. And will continue to do so wether or not I own a moto. I like walking. It's great exercise and it's great for my dogs too. However, I look back on the ATV days with great fondness as it allowed for a fantastic multi activity day...fly fishing, bait fishing, snorkeling, hawaiian slinging all with ease...ahh those were the days.

It's interesting to note that in my experience it is purely gringo phenomenon to be so upset with vehicles on the beach that one would wish confiscation and personal injury on those that ride ATV's. I have many Mexican friends. I know not one that spends a second worrying about vehicles on the beach. In fact many drive their trucks and motos on the beach to places where they picnic, fish, gather oysters, and spend time with their families on the weekends. In researching the idea of buying an ATV I have spoken with the local police in my area and have recieved the same reply from all...riding the beach is no big deal to them as long as you don't drive fast and dangerous. Now, we all know that it is a big deal if the PROFEPA guys came along. But in the last few years I've walked untold miles on the beach, I see motos and trucks everyday, and have yet to see a PROFEPA agent.

True there are some jerks thats race up and down the beach making noise and taking chances. That is not my intention and nor is it the intention of most of the people I see on the beach here.

If the local people, police, and retired old gringos do it everday does that mean everyone should do it? Well...maybe it does. Evidently most of the community simply doesn't find this to be a issue worthy of legal prosecution.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
It's interesting to note that in my experience it is purely gringo phenomenon to be so upset with vehicles on the beach....

If the local people, police, and retired old gringos do it everday does that mean everyone should do it? Well...maybe it does. Evidently most of the community simply doesn't find this to be a issue worthy of legal prosecution.

I believe that has a LOT to do with the fact that gringos are more concerned with environmental impact & pristine beaches where you can actually hear the birds & the waves!! I think it's sad there hasn't been more effort to teach respect for the beauty of their own country!:(
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 09:45 PM

This is just for reference because here we are not on the Cortez side. In Todos Santos and Pescadero areas (on the Pacific side) there are two turtle conservation groups that are very active and they give presentations in the local schools to teach children and the community at large that driving on the beach compacts the sand, and makes ruts and tracks that interfere with the nesting and hatching of turtles and their short trip back into ocean after they are born. Now, I am not a member of these groups so I don't have all the zoological data, and I don't own an ATV. There is a season for turtle nests and then for sure it would make sense not to drive. But how long do ruts and tracks stay after driving? I don't know what the answer to that is. I've seen signs in certain places (bocas) that prohbit vehicular traffic and the wording is very intimidating. Besides the rules, the fines and who to contact in cases of observed violations, they clearly state that no motorized vehicles are to proceed beyond that point.

--Amir
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 10:02 PM

Quote:

I find the above a very interesting thought.....how about this...
It's 2:30 am, you are on your way home from a late nite at the office, there is no traffic on the streets. You come to a 4-way stop sign. You can see that there are no other cars. Do you come to a full stop, or do you just drive through the stop sign.

It's against the law, but nobody is around....does that make it OK to break the law???....even if you don't get caught???

No disrespect to you Cardon, don't take it personal....it's just that the last paragraph caught my eye
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 12:05 AM

I do it all the time. But only to launch my mini panga or collect some driftwood for my fire pit. I have been observed by the local policia doing this and they actually just wave at me and drive on. I see "GUIDED" flyfishing groups around Punta Arena all of the time without incident.

Just not cool to buzz someone's house or camp site @ 45mph.....

Mike
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 06:27 PM
Made to be broken...

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

I find the above a very interesting thought.....how about this...
It's 2:30 am, you are on your way home from a late nite at the office, there is no traffic on the streets. You come to a 4-way stop sign. You can see that there are no other cars. Do you come to a full stop, or do you just drive through the stop sign.

It's against the law, but nobody is around....does that make it OK to break the law???....even if you don't get caught???

No disrespect to you Cardon, don't take it personal....it's just that the last paragraph caught my eye

Well, i'm not sure i agree that is an accurate analogy. As it stands riding the beach here is very different than your 4-way stop at 2:30am. In this case the "violation" takes place in broad daylight. There are lots of people around. Mexican and gringo alike. Most of them are also breaking said law at the same time. In many cases with the local police on hand not recognizing the activity as a crime hence no one is getting "caught".
amir
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 06:48 PM

The question that begs to be asked, then, is: Why is there a law about it at all?

[Edited on 6-6-2007 by amir]
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 07:37 PM

I have a motorcycle and never ride it on the beach. IMO no vehicles should be allowed on a beach. A beach should only have footprints on it, and the fewer of those the better. The Los Barrilies area is getting a little better thank goodness, but it used to be terrible. An ATV would go by you on the beach every 10 minutes. The entire beach would be covered with ATV tracks from top to bottom. One of my main reasons for going to the Baja is for the beach, I hate to see it ruined with ATV's.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.