Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Medium-cost off-road lights
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 10:22 PM
Medium-cost off-road lights

I'd like to add a couple of off-road, night-time Baja highway 1 lights to my Suburban. It's not like I need the $800 set, but I have no way of judging what's the right technology/model for me? I'd ideally mount them near the side view mirrors on the support columns next to the windshield, but I'd love to hear what works for folks who want a little more light for those nights when you're trying to make those last few miles and it gets dark too soon.

Thanks!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 10:26 PM

HELLA or PROCOMP have some decent lights at reasonable prices.......
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 05:48 AM

Another vote for Piaas. Tried Pro-Comp twice and each time, when I needed them something was broken. Piias have been super reliable.

I take mine off when not using them. Lost a pair to thieves.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 07:52 AM

pro comp 130w...8" ....$37....
100w ...6".....$28....

hella 100w 8".....$105......

( procomps are cheap....and when they break you won't cry)
(plus.....NOBODY would bother stealing them.....:tumble:)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 07:56 AM

Joel

I would suggest mounting the lights to a roof basket, or at least to a roof location. I had lights mounted where you mentioned and the glare from the "sidelighting effect" was very distracting.
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 09:16 AM

Hella 550, $75.00 for the whole kit. Two different beams to choose from. My Pro-Comps where junk. Buy them online from ORW otherwise there around $100
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 09:52 AM

I've had real good luck with my Hella 500's. I guess there is in fact a mid grade, but the two ends of the spectrum are FAR apart. To go to a xenon HID I've seen them as costly as a thousand bucks apiece. Junkers can be had for $20. I've been shopping e-bay for weeks looking for a deal on a pair of Hellas for my Dual Sport Suzuki. $55. to $75 is about the best I've seen.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 09:56 AM

I can highly recommend the PIAA's. I have run 2 sets on my motorcycles. Very durable, and the replacement blubs are widely stocked (in the US).

Make sure you have a very convienently mounted on/off switch. I would recommend a lighted switch which is easier to see. They are so bright you need to turn them off for approaching traffic.

I have used both the 510's and 1100's. The 510's would be suitable for Cars/Trucks (4" dia). The 1100's are too small (2"+). $400 set approx.

I have no experience with Hella's, but I know many that use them and are very pleased.

I would also consider HID's (high intensity discharge). I am running a set of Phillip's and they are incredible. VERY BRIGHT! $800 set approx.

Ken

[Edited on 6-4-2007 by tripledigitken]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 10:08 AM

Hi Ken...thanks for the info. My DR has only a 200 watt alt. so my plan is to change out one lamp to a 35w. and run it full time with the second Hella at 55w. added on the high beam.
ThumperTalk has pages of threads on the subject and they've been pretty well tested out. I like the look too!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 11:18 AM

The HIDs use way less amps than the halogen - maybe 1/2. For MCs, a 4 X 2-1/2 in., flood or spot for just over $200 each from some after market manufacturers.

About the same price for 6", 8" and 9" ones for bigger vehicles. I put a couple 6" on my rail and Wow! it's like daytime. And the 9" have more than twice the reflective surface of the 6".

[Edited on 6-4-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 10:21 PM

Joel, for non-critical applications I have been using Chinese copies of KC HID's found at http://www.45ale.com

I picked up a pair of 5" 3000k spectrum units and they are working great on our Yamaha Rhino.

Price, about $110 each.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 04:16 PM

I bought a pair of Marchal driving lights off ebay $50.00 small, mounted them on my front bumper, installed so only on when High beams are on they are just fantastic just like driving in the daytime. Then are not high power but I think the design with the reflector is what makes the difference.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Hi Ken...thanks for the info. My DR has only a 200 watt alt. so my plan is to change out one lamp to a 35w. and run it full time with the second Hella at 55w. added on the high beam.
ThumperTalk has pages of threads on the subject and they've been pretty well tested out. I like the look too!

vgabndo,

Does anyone make a stator for more amps for that bike? I am considering getting a KLR for baja, and there are aftermarket stators for it. The roadbike guys do a similar setup and its seems to work great.

After you ride with auxillary lights you sure get spoiled. With my HID's when you turn them off it seems like your stock lights are flashlights they are so dim by comparison. You have to get used to that.

We should try to ride together sometime. I will be spending more time in Mulege and Punta Chivato as we get closer to retiring.

Ken
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 06:13 PM

Hella Rally 1000 black lenses. Its a cool reflective coating on the lense that looks black from the front. They are a flood patern and really light things up. They also provide a "full spectrum" light, not quite a HID, that is more similar to sunlight and consequently less fatigueing to your eyes at night. I also highly recommend that you only mount pencil beams to the roof as the glare on the hood of your sub will drive you nuts and maybe off the road. Flood driving lights should only be mounted to the front bumper. Wire them to your kick down switch for your high beams for oncoming traffic so you can really light things up safely for fellow drivers. IMHO

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 07:32 AM

I use the cheapo driving lights from the auto stores, 55 watts each rectangular lense somewhere in the $30 range for two. Mounted on my Smittybuilt bumper guard at or a little above bumper level. Wired thru a relay to my high beams. I also have my low beams wired thru a relay to my high beams so all six lights are on at high beam. For real long distance light I have a Baja 100 watt spot I can put on the bumper guard at hood level. When it's on it's great. Usually don't need it and it's illegal for highway use.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 09:03 AM

I tried one of my "No Name" HIDs the other night and at 35w lit things up way better than 2 100w KC highlighters. These are on my desert rail.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 12:06 PM

Tripledigit...

I think your question has been addressed on ThumperTalk. As I recall, the stator can be re-wound, but it isn't an off the shelf thing. There's a guy from northern Arizona who did it to run two 55w lights full time, he's a regular on TT.

Yeah, I'd love to ride with you. There may be two of us from Mt. Shasta trucking our dual sports down to San Nicolas at a time when we can watch some of the Baja K go by.

Bill Kauth

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 01:03 PM

Ricky Stator in Santee rewinds stator coils or did if still in business. Baja Designs does too, I just had my XR250 done. They're at www.bajadesigns.com
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 04:15 PM

In full agreement with Gadget on mounting position. Had 100W spots on the windshield pillars of a Jeep CJ and the glare was nuts. Even the smallest amount of dust was blinding. Much better on the bumper.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Tripledigit...

I think your question has been addressed on ThumperTalk. As I recall, the stator can be re-wound, but it isn't an off the shelf thing. There's a guy from northern Arizona who did it to run two 55w lights full time, he's a regular on TT.

Yeah, I'd love to ride with you. There may be two of us from Mt. Shasta trucking our dual sports down to San Nicolas at a time when we can watch some of the Baja K go by.

Keep me posted on your schedule. I'm doing a La Paz one week trip in October, so the 1000 probably won't happen for me this year.

Ken
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.