Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: GPS for bike?
Muddyrabbit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 03:33 PM
GPS for bike?

Anyone here have any recomendations for a GPS to be mounted on my XR400? I'm just beginning to shop for one and thought I'd ask the Baja Nomad community for opinions.

Legislative Affairs Liaison, Ohio Motorized Trails Association
www.ohiotrails.org
NOHVCC Associate State Partner, Ohio
www.nohvcc.org
United we ride.
leadmoto
Junior Nomad

Mood: Froggy

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 04:00 PM

Check out www.Cycoactive.com, and www.gpsinformation.net for great information on GPS.

I have a Garmin 60CS that I have been using for Dualsport & Mountain Biking for a couple of years now. So far I am happy with it. Lots of good new stuff out there so do your homework.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 04:05 PM

I have no recommendation, but I was reading a ride report recently about the guided (for lack of a better description) "Dakar Wannabe" tours in Eastern Nevada.

Several GPS units fell off and few if any were ever found. If you're doing a velcro mount, you need a safety strap.

Keep us informed on your research please.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 04:18 PM

Also look at GPSCITY.com they sell Garmin and specialize in Motorcyle applications. I would also consider the Ram Mounts. They are very adaptable to any mounting situation. I have used both the Garmin and Ram mounts on 4 motorcycles.

Look at the Quest unit or for more $'s the 276c (which I currently run).

Make sure the unit is waterproof (as both of the above are). I personally don't like touch screens for motorcycles as they are hard to operate with gloves on.

I hard wire mine in and both of the above have internal batteries that are rechargable. Don't have to worry about batteries on the road.

Ken
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 07:47 PM

I would like to mount my GPSr to my motorcycle, but everytime I look at my handlebars bouncing up and down on a rough road I just shudder at the thought of my GPSr taking that punishment. Although it is a nuisance I will keep mine in my fanny pack for now.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack
I would like to mount my GPSr to my motorcycle, but everytime I look at my handlebars bouncing up and down on a rough road I just shudder at the thought of my GPSr taking that punishment. Although it is a nuisance I will keep mine in my fanny pack for now.

GPS was invented for the U.S. military... I think they can handle it! I have the Garmin eTrex and eTrex Legend and they have been great in Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 08:20 PM
GPS feedback

Rabbit,
My GPS is a few years old but I love it and it has held up to some pretty serious abuse - mountain biking, kayaking, extreme heat, hiking, trail running, and riding the handlebars of a KLR650, on and off-road.

It's a Magellan Meridian Platinum with the Magellan handlebar cradle. I see the newer Magellan units have handlebar cradles also. With the cradle clamped to the handlebars it's a snap to lock the unit into place - a press of the button to release it so you can tuck it into your pocket.

GPS1.jpg - 36kB
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 08:24 PM

I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

GPS2.jpg - 44kB
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 06:27 AM

GPSMAP® 76CSx

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 08:15 AM

That's what I use also Bruce - great unit

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 10:41 AM

I have used a ram mt on many M/C with a 12cs and now a GPSmap76CSX.
My EXC300 went thru 12 rear tires and many minor crashes last year with the gps---no problems

The small screen and small buttons on the GPS’s like E-trek are difficult to see and use while riding
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge
I have used a ram mt on many M/C with a 12cs and now a GPSmap76CSX.
My EXC300 went thru 12 rear tires and many minor crashes last year with the gps---no problems

The small screen and small buttons on the GPS’s like E-trek are difficult to see and use while riding

wow 12 rear tires. You need to quit sliding down those CO mtns.
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 02:28 PM

2 of them were in Baja that EXC300 is a good ride down there.
Muddyrabbit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 06:17 AM

I'm leaning toward two units. The Garmin Rhino 530HCx because it combines a FRS/GMRS radio into the same unit, thus, less stuff on the bike, color screen, expandable memory with SD cards, but no internal memory.

The Magellan eXplorist XL doesn't have the built in radio, but does have a larger easier to read screen (also color), expandable SD memory, plus built in 30MB memory, and easier to use buttons. Plus Magellan offers a pre-programed SD card with a Mexico including Baja topo map on it. Has anyone used this map?

Also, any suggestions for map software? I've looked at the Fugawi maps also, as well as the maps at GPS for Baja. The map choice seems more complicated than the hardware now!

Legislative Affairs Liaison, Ohio Motorized Trails Association
www.ohiotrails.org
NOHVCC Associate State Partner, Ohio
www.nohvcc.org
United we ride.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 06:46 AM

Been using OziExplorer as a mapping program for years.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 06:48 AM

MuddyRabbit...I can recommend LB maps "Expeditioner".
I use a Garmin 276c With a Ram mount, slightly modified to fit the Garmin locking base mount. I have used it on my Polaris 500 HO and many miles on Baja back country. It has landed from 3'-5' jumps and has not unlocked yet. Easy to read (direct sun on face is more difficult) and easy button control. If it just snaps in and does not Lock the unit to the mount, I am sure it will fall off. Maybe you can tie a safety strap to it.

[Edited on 6-15-2007 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
leadmoto
Junior Nomad

Mood: Froggy

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by jack

GPS was invented for the U.S. military... I think they can handle it! I have the Garmin eTrex and eTrex Legend and they have been great in Baja!

Touratech makes some trick mounting hardware. Rubber mounted to minimize vibration. It will cost you though.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 02:31 PM

What was "invented" by the DOD, was the satellite system and the protocols involved in communicating to earth stations. Just what the **** does that have to do with how rugged commercial units are? Inquiring minds want to know.

That said, I would recommend the Garmin GPSMAP C0Cx: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=309

Waterproof and designed for rugged operation.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 06:41 AM

Rabbit,

You might try http://www.advrider.com There's a great deal of information on GPS mounts, types, etc.

I know that the Dakar Rally KTM team had (has) some excellent equipment. Grider's web site is down for the time being, but you could try Chris Blais ( http://www.blaisracing.com ) .

In the absence of that, there's a good book, Chasing Dakar, by "Doctor Jon", and I believe he covers the subject of GPS units for bikes.

[Edited on 6-17-2007 by bufeo]

bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 10:31 PM
gps stuff

http://www.bajagpsguide.com/

I don't know if the owner of the site is still doing training but she has some great information regarding baja and gps units.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.