Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Suspension airbags for off road use
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:59 PM

Barry, I must point out that even with the weight of your Callen and boat combined, it's a far cry from the weight of a basic Lance with all fluids. Mine is about 2500# wet, but unloaded. I'm not sure your setup is more than about 1300#, counting just your shell and boat.

Now lets add the accessories that you probably carry over what is already in the Lance and you probably gain maybe 150#. Your outboard and my external generator are probably a push.

You're probably still carrying about 1000# less than the average Lance. I think your suspension setup might not apply to us Lance guys.

To others............I've had airbag problems even on-road.

Those timbren things look interesting.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 04:07 PM

I have had air bags on a k2500 chevy for about 15 years hauling a big lance, then a hallmark pop up with no problems. Being able to adjust to a change in the load is a huge plus. I now have a new set, on a new truck, hauling the same hallmark with a 12 foot boat on top, no problems in many miles on bad roads from Baja to Montana and back.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
I have had air bags on a k2500 chevy for about 15 years hauling a big lance, then a hallmark pop up with no problems. Being able to adjust to a change in the load is a huge plus. I now have a new set, on a new truck, hauling the same hallmark with a 12 foot boat on top, no problems in many miles on bad roads from Baja to Montana and back.

Steve-o, what you got.....the Firestones or the AirLifts or ?. Any bracket mods?

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 04:28 PM

Both sets are air lifts and the brackets are stock. I dont know about any mods needed.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 04:42 PM

Hook------------Your figures are about right----------I was just contributing my "2 cents worth" for what it is worth (??)-------

As for it's application to you "Lance" haulers (scary!!!)----pay attention to me at your own risk :lol:
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 05:37 PM

Quote:

You know me Mike, Just a couple of surfboards and the family in the old Toyota....:P

Is that road out to Chivato really that tough?? (edit) :lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by Tomas Tierra]

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Both sets are air lifts and the brackets are stock. I dont know about any mods needed.

Someone said earlier that the brackets on the firestones had jiggled loose...Can you through bolt those to the frame???

Was on thr timbren site earlier looking around, interesting.Anybody using that stuff???

Barry,

You should check out the world of the aluminium framed pop up camper..

http://www.Wanderthewest.com is a user group for Four wheel campers and All Terrain campers.....lots of different Mods and applications there..good group..

http://www.allterraincampers.com
http://www.fourwheelcampers.com

cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 06:01 PM

my airbags go in the spring they cant come out.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 06:22 PM

My '05 Tacoma now has new, larger Bilstein (5100) shocks in back and the air bags are on their way to help the weak rear springs... from Off Road Warehouse... A full report coming once it is a done deal. Just the bigger Bilsteins alone, I have stopped bottoming on bumps and dips, with a load.:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 07:46 PM

The brackets are bolted into the side of the frame....stock with the kit. No bolts have ever come out of mine.The road to chivato is not bad, the road to La Purisma is, the road to Gonzaga is, been there with more of a load than your TOY will ever see:P Oh yeah, my rancho 9000s don't leak either
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
been there with more of a load than your TOY will ever see:P

Thankfully, If I ever need that much stuff to keep me busy I'm done:lol::lol::lol::o....

My buddy over AT VENTURA 4X4 has a couple of mounting tricks for the bags I may employ..He won't let the cat out of the bag though,$$$...

Edit..
Hang on...are my rancho 9000's leaking?? I don't get it..

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
My '05 Tacoma now has new, larger Bilstein (5100) shocks in back and the air bags are are their way to help the weak rear springs... from Off Road Warehouse... A full report coming once it is a done deal. Just the bigger Bilsteins alone, I have stopped bottoming on bumps and dips, with a load.:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by David K]

So are you monting air bags as well as the new shocks??
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:22 PM

I thought the newer Toys were supposed to be 1/2 ton. Dont understand how you could be overloading it, David, w/o even a shell on it.

Or an E-Z UP............:lol:

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:56 PM
A few points...

I believe Firestone makes most if not all of the smaller air bag springs for the aftermarket Installations...it may have some mfg's logo on the bag, but still actually mfg'd by F'stone. Goodyear used to make em', but I believe gave up some time ago...

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/products/rrinfo.shtml

As mentioned in my post on page 1, I punctured one of my new air bags...stick or sharp rock, couldn't tell which...they did make it easy to level the load of the heavy Lance camper on our F-350...but I didn't really notice any improvement in the 'sway' factor when I installed them.

I'm not too sold on those 'rubber donut' type overload 'springs'...if you're packing a big heavy camper 'load' back there, those 'donuts' are concentrating a lot of weight in one small area on the frame bracket.

http://www.timbren.com/

At least the air bag brackets are longer and able to spread out the load somewhat, but still concentrate the 'overload' stress in one small section of the frame, a consideration in hard off road use.

While not perfect, the SuperSpring type overload leaves spread the frame load onto two points, for and aft of the axle. They have shackles with several holes so you can adjust the tension and therefore the ride height.

http://www.supersprings.com/

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Quote:
My '05 Tacoma now has new, larger Bilstein (5100) shocks in back and the air bags are are their way to help the weak rear springs... from Off Road Warehouse... A full report coming once it is a done deal. Just the bigger Bilsteins alone, I have stopped bottoming on bumps and dips, with a load.:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by David K]

So are you monting air bags as well as the new shocks??

Yes... Riderite airbags (Firestone rubber) to help the leaf springs in back.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I thought the newer Toys were supposed to be 1/2 ton. Dont understand how you could be overloading it, David, w/o even a shell on it.

I have always stated the pros and cons with my Tacomas... The '05 and newer, larger (and it's a four door) Tacomas will 'bottom-out' with a load in the back seat or bed when hitting speed bumps or dips in the road (at speed). My '01 Tacoma never had that problem with the stock Bilsteins and Toyota springs.

The springs are the problem with this heavier truck, and the most affordable way to deal with it after much research seemed to be air bags... which are adjustable for whatever load I have.

For a small investment more, I upgraded the Bilstein shocks from the stock TRD model (comfy ride) to the 5100 made for the '05 Tacoma... bolt right on. Shocks control the movement, but aren't for load suspension (that's why the air bags).

As I said, a full report when it is all installed... :spingrin::yes:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I have always stated the pros and cons with my Tacomas... The '05 and newer, larger (and it's a four door) Tacomas will 'bottom-out' with a load in the back seat or bed when hitting speed bumps or dips in the road (at speed). My '01 Tacoma never had that problem with the stock Bilsteins and Toyota springs.

The springs are the problem with this heavier truck, and the most affordable way to deal with it after much research seemed to be air bags... which are adjustable for whatever load I have.

For a small investment more, I upgraded the Bilstein shocks from the stock TRD model (comfy ride) to the 5100 made for the '05 Tacoma... bolt right on. Shocks control the movement, but aren't for load suspension (that's why the air bags).

As I said, a full report when it is all installed... :spingrin::yes:

Hey DK-

I can't wait for the report....I need to do something as well especially with my shell and Autohome. Please keep us (me) posted.

Zac

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 09:29 AM

You bet Zac... :light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:28 AM

My 07 Tacoma would bottom in the rear with 4 adults in it going over cattle guards etc. I added an add a leaf which helped with loads but is too hard when not loaded. A smaller leaf would be better or a small overload spring. Since it's a company truck and I only drive it while at work I can live with the way it is. For a while I was carrying around 300 lbs of asphalt bags in the back and it road real good. My 93 Toyota has an add a leaf which works much better as does my 04 GMC. Am interest in David's air bag ride.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Shocks control the movement, but aren't for load suspension (that's why the air bags).

This fact is often overlooked when talking about suspension problems. You need to get the load carrying part right for what you carry, then get the shocks to smooth out the ride.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.