Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: End of a trip, start of a life
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 05:58 PM
End of a trip, start of a life

We finally made it, after 2000 miles and 6 days driving Loreto is home at last.

We left Oregon on the tenth and arrived in Loreto at about 3:30 on the 16th. We didnt push to hard as it was my wifes first time to herd the motor home down the highway, and I was pulling 20 feet of boat behind the pickup.

With the exception of a flat on the boat trailer, the trip was a breeze, boarder crosing was a snap and it only took one day to handle the registration of our fm-3s when we got here, just needed a few passport type pics and a !,000 dollar bank account. After those small items were finished it was only 15 minutes to complete.

Of course this was with the help of our dear friends, Pamela and Francisco, owner and guide for the Baja Big fish co.

We are living for at least the time being in Colonia Zaragoza while we look for some property to buy or lease.

I went looking for Capt George today but the gate was locked, maybe another time before he takes off for the Pacific side.

Any questions on the move or the fm-3 process? I'll answer anything (from my limited experience) that you have.

Dan and Misty
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 06:20 PM

Dan, you seem to have a good writing style. You oughta write some dispatches from time to time.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 10:14 PM

Dan! Glad you msde the Trip safe and Sound!
If there is any thing that I may help with Please contact me. Looks like I may meet you in a couple of weeks, so stick around.
Lots of good Luck in your new Home Town.
Go find Capt. George he may want to sell his Place!Know he loves the pacific.
Skeet/Loreto

"In God we Trust"
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 2-19-2004 at 03:31 PM
new life

Dan,
Bueno!:yes: A man after my own heart....my wife and I hope to be there full time in a year or so......congradulations on your new beginnings. Maybe our paths will cross in April or May. Give my best to Pamella y Quervo. CJ:cool:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2004 at 07:13 PM

Will do CJ, be seeing Pam and Cuervo tomorrow morning.

Give us a buzz when you head down and I will warm up the boat, and chill the beers.

Dan
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2004 at 11:14 PM
backninedan

Slightly off of top-dead-center, I'd just like to say that I'm happy for you and hope your life goes from this point forward as you wish and expect. I'm learning this retirement deal can be a great confusion to some of us, hopefully not you. I sense in your words an awareness of significant change and that is what scares the hell out of me. We leave an environment known to us for our lifetimes and seek out another we have no experience with? What sense does that make?

But we have Baja. You have friends to help you get set up and arranged into a new life there. My family will do the same. So many of the friends I have at work are so deeply involved in their efforts on the "last frontier" that they have no other life. While I respect, admire them, I have to look back into our reality and realize that part of our lives are not just about doing what our country needs, it's about doing what we need for ourselves. Especially when we reach an age that we feel it is important.

I'm babbling, as often this late, but I hope you know in taking this major step that many thoughts are with you. Take care and keep us posted on your new adventures.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2004 at 06:18 AM

Dan and Mike:
It is hoped that you both will have a "Good" retirement!Both of you are in for a great change in your life and you are doing it in a great place"Baja".
I am one who spent my life looking and trying new things at every stage of Life. I was a very luckey person to have discovered Baja when I was young.Now i am into another Adventure and as I type this I have a place in my Heart for "Baja"
It will never get out of your mind and Heart all through your are a 1,000 miles North!1
So , live your life ,enjoy Baja,learn the People and realize how very luckey we all are at this time in our Life.

No wonder I spend so much time on this discussion board! It gets in your blood.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God We Trust"
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2004 at 08:23 AM
Loreto Bay Devopment

A question for you Loreto veterans-what are the opinions on the Loreto Bay Development? Is it favored or opposed by the people of Loreto? Will it bring jobs and income to the locals? Does it seem to have a firm financial footing? Are the promises of what will be built panning out? Will it bring prosperity to the area, but at the cost of the charm of the current Loreto?
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2004 at 10:41 AM

Having been here such a short time, please dont take my word as anything other han a first impression, but what I seem to get so far is that the development is being well recieved from a future business standpoint, but also with some scepticism due to the all to often started, then abandoned developments the local business people have seen in the past.

Who knows, this impression may change as I get my Loreto sea legs under me. Still such a greenie as to the in and outs of Loreto.

I will post occasionally as I learn more of the wonderful small town.

Dan
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2004 at 02:38 PM

If you can access the Archives you can view a good Thread on the subject information your are requesting or if you would like to u2u me I will give you a personal Opinion!Skeet/Loreto.

"In God We Trust"
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 05:17 PM
Bienvenidos a Loreto...

to you and Mrs back nine dan. I'm so happy that you're finally here, you have no idea. Get the mrs into that book as I have big plans that I need ayuda with. Let me know when that boat's ready so we can christen her the appropriate way by hauling in some massive Jurels and helping to deplete the local cold beer supply while we do it. WOOO HOOO!!!

FISH ON MAN!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.