Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: La Turquesa Trek
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 07:50 PM

I thought he WAS coming down from Mex 1?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I thought he WAS coming down from Mex 1?

Yes, he did... El Rosario to Chapala, then north to Coco's and La Turquesa Canyon... Camped at Beluga, then home via San Felipe. At least that's the way I understood it.

The road between Puertecitos and Gonzaga is so lousy now, who wants to drive it twice in the same weekend???:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 11:16 AM

OK, I don't know about anybody else, but I'm dying for a trip report. PLEASE

:tumble::tumble::tumble:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 07:00 PM

Mannnnnnnn, it's these "reports" that keep me coming back to the NOMAD's board----------------my patience grows thin----------where, oh where is that report, SQCIR????? A new "road" is Baja is BIG news!!!!!!! (even if it is one for Ken Cooke and crew) :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 10:28 PM

It's coming (talked to squarecircle tonight)...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 06:23 AM

It sounds like the road is begging to be finished. IF (note the big IF), the temps are sub 3 digits, I'll continue the work when I visit it next month. I'm sure it could be finished if 2 or more trucks are there to work on it.

[Edited on 6-26-2007 by edm1]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 07:59 AM

This seeming plan to open an abandoned/grow-over road seems to violate a few common rules of off road etiquette: (1) stay on established roads, and (2) respect private property. All this talk about road building over a road that has been taken back by nature makes me ask, do you have the land owners permission?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 09:35 AM

Well, if The squarecircle and other people want to re-open that road, consider this:

It is a published* route, used by motorcycles for years... of the 10 miles, only 1.5 is in need of some help so 4 wheeled vehicles can use it, too... If there were any land owners, they would likely bless Roy's hard work!:light:

Anyway, your rules sound like those posted in Anza Borrego or some other U.S. park... This is in Baja, and it is only unused (by cars) because nobody wanted to fix it... until now. :coolup:

* 'All About Your Whereabouts, The Baja GPS Guidebook' by Kacey Smith http://www.bajagpsguide.com c2000

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 12:19 PM

just wondering who makes up these ..."common rules of off road...."

the land under every dirt road is owned by "someone"....hope I don't need permission every time I drive on one.....
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 12:55 PM

I tell you all,

I'm not a part of a road building effort. I'm just gonna drive through it ;D and if a rock here and there need to be pushed slightly aside so I can go through, I will gently do it and then push it back to where it was. I'll do exactly the same if I have to go back through the same path.

That's the "truth" ;D It's a driving through effort.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
I tell you all,

I'm not a part of a road building effort. I'm just gonna drive through it ;D and if a rock here and there need to be pushed slightly aside so I can go through, I will gently do it and then push it back to where it was. I'll do exactly the same if I have to go back through the same path.

That's the "truth" ;D It's a driving through effort.

edm1,

Is the van in the avatar the vehicle you will do this trip in? If so, that is impressive. Be sure to post a trip report.

Ken
MoFish
Junior Nomad

Mood: Gonzaga dreamin

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 01:23 PM

I agree with David K. The land owner would most likely be great full that the road is being worked on . I will be in the area in Nov. it might get extended a bit.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 01:36 PM

3dken, yes. It's going to be G35's maiden voyage to Baja.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MoFish
I agree with David K. The land owner would most likely be great full that the road is being worked on . I will be in the area in Nov. it might get extended a bit.

Good luck.
In my area, the land owners would be less grateful.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by MoFish

Good luck.
In my area, the land owners would be less grateful.

Just FYI.. this area is uninhabited... Coco is the closest resident and he has been sending motorcyclists to the canyon for years... It is known as 'Coco's Shortcut' by some!

Just where is YOUR area anyway? You know, so we can avoid it when looking for exploration or road making possibilities!:lol:

The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 10:43 PM

Greetings BajaNomads,

Departed from Spring Valley, after picking up the only other brave vehicle to attempt this adventure, at 9:00AM Friday June 15th. Stopped at Tecate USA for the required auto insurance and on to the second stop MUSTAFA'S in Las Palmas de Guadalupe for a fine breakfast for four adventurous but dubious certifiable characters. Third stop was Ensenada at GIGANTE and PEMEX for the various fuels required for a trip of this nature. Fourth stop was EL PALOMAR in Santo Tomas, a traditional pause for their excellent margies for the long haul to San Quintin's CIELITO LINDO. My timing was spot on here for our fifth stop. As we walked in the door the happy hour bell rang! That was about a two hour pause with everyone having a very loud rip-roaring fun time meeting all the locals that show up only when that bell rings!! Entertainment here was enhanced by the six canines in the bar area also. It was a great stop!!! It is less than one hour to El Rosario and the fabulous BAJA CACTUS MOTEL our sixth stop. Next morning we top off all gas tanks and suffer the multitude of topes(speed bumps) all the way to ED LUSK'S STARBUCKS CAFE for our seventh stop. This is always a good stop with great conversations, good food and friendly animals. Always talk to the parrots and give them a taste of your breakfast. Our eighth and ninth stop was to air down at the Laguna Chapala 'T' junction for the washboard and on to COCO'S CORNER with short stop to pay respects to Sr. ARTURO GROSSO, Sra. ANITA ESPINOSA'S brother who pioneered that road. His ranch ruins are on the left(north)by some shade trees. NEXT PG.
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 11:52 PM

Oh ----- Yah Stay out of that well , if you fall in you will never get out. I don't think there is a bottom. Yes it is that deep and hand dug! This MAN among men was a singular forceful dynamic person --- a DYNAMO and a GENTLEMAN -------- RIP --------

Tenth stop was COCO'S CORNER where i practiced my poor Spanish with a stand in as COCO was in Guerrero Negro. After a few Pacificos we headed for and past La Arrastras, the water pools and Mina La Turquesa. The mine is up on the south face of the mountain with the arroyo below the diggings. At this point in the arroyo is the end of any tracks. The arroyo runs east ------ west to the climb out aprox. two miles distant. Ty Tipton with his spotter Daina, my spotter Richard Fisher and yours truly made about half the distance to the climb out. The bitter taste of defeat still lingers and is rationalized by the lack of more helpers and 100 plus degree tempertures. With wounded vehicles and beaten men we cut our losses and slowly worked our way out of there on to more sane pathways to Rancho Grande/San Luis Gonzaga where we were looking forward to those great shrimp dinners, but that was not to be. Antonio tells me the place is closed for the night and we four are to late to be fed. After some discusion and we are in the vehicles he suddenly changes his mind and says he can accommodate us but it is to late. We are not going to play that game!!! Quick stop at Rancho Grande and on to Campo Beluga for some wrenching and much need rest. The rest of the trip was about getting back to San Diego over that disgusting Puertecitos/ Gonzaga roadway.

A tip for those who enjoy finner culinary arts with good music(aids food digestion) and splendid settings >>> Check out the LIGHT HOUSE rest. on the hill in downtown San Felipe. Try it --- you will like it. >> Regards, sq.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:37 AM

Great report Roy - too bad. I want to get down there one of these days and check it all out. Don't have 4WD so I;ll see how far I can go.

Next time you're through, stop by (if you have the time).

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:39 AM

Thanks Roy!!!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 12:26 PM

Great report, Roy. I assume the problem is boulders??? or are there other hazards in that La Turquesza wash?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.