BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scrubrush and Weeds (Matomi 2004)
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2004 at 09:32 PM
Scrubrush and Weeds (Matomi 2004)

Scrubrush and Weeds (Matomi 2004)

It's raining soundly tonight, two days after I came home from the south. I went to a place I have tried for thrice and achieved only twice: Canon Matomi. It is nestled a considerable distance back in the hills; no, mountains that hang suspended above the Sea of Cortez. But you cannot see the sea from Matomi, only towering peaks, palms, a year-round free-flowing stream, a small falls and a pond filled with green life-giving mosses that float like twisting whispered innuendoes across the depths of water and across the surface. You can see the stream as it flows eastward into the parched earth of the Llanos San Fermin. I had passed through parts of those plains earlier in my attempts to get to her, my Matomi; the flatlands were badly in need of the waters of Matomi to support their great array, at the right time of year, of desert wildflowers, scrub, weeds and cactus. The selection of desert growths wasn't important, rather the introduction of varities of life almost as an experiment to see who could get along. And who couldn't.

Part 1 of the story (just my version) will follow. It was a great trip filled with building friendships staged across the wonderful locales and people of Baja California, and a smathering of loving gringos...

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2004 at 09:43 AM

Mike, your description of the pond is perfect. Bob H
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 01:40 AM
Mike's vesion of Matomi 2004

Mike... anytime you're ready, we will be too!:tumble:

Any news on the sale and move?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 09:08 AM

That pond reminds me of an STAR TREK Next Generation show where the Captain (Picard) gets taken back in time 4 billion years to earth's early years and he is shown some goo in the bottom of a pond and told it contains the first life on earth... I did see some FROGS in that pond when we came there...
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 08:03 PM

My post is mostly writen but with all the clean-up and escrow closing we've been WAY busy. Thanks for caring.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 09:16 AM

Mike, do you have your spot picked out in Bahia? Bob H
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 09:44 AM
got directions?

Humfreville....
Can you suppy a driving direction for me? Coming in south from Mexicalli on Mex5.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 06:20 PM

If it is Matomi directions you seek (what Mike was discussing)... they are on the last page of the web site of that expedition... http://community-2.webtv.net/matomi2004/matomi More photos being added tonight (from Mexray). Arroyo Matomi crosses Hwy. 5 about 43-45 mi. so. of San Felipe

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 07:44 PM
yankeeirishman

It's a big deal getting there. Regardless of the route you take its a FULL day round trip from San Felipe. Also, 4WD is required (except for LN and WildBill) as the last few miles is a wild ride over large rounded riverbed rocks. Take a writing tablet so you can post your story.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.