Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bay area to La Paz Apr26 - June9
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 09:48 PM
Bay area to La Paz Apr26 - June9

This was our 1st time driving down to La Paz. Have been there previously by boat and plane but we were really looking forward to driving down, spending some time and having wheels while there. Reading previous posts on this site really helped and I want to thank all the contributors that have helped more people than they know of.

We followed much of the advice posted here and stayed at the hotels recommended here and had a very enjoyable drive. I found it to be incredibly beautiful and I loved the geology and flora. I'm glad I stopped a lot because I was rubbernecking so much and that's not a good idea on that narrow highway.

We stayed at the Baja Cactus, nice new room but they could use a different disinfectant. That one they use has a pretty overpowering odor. Next night was in a yurt at the San Ignacio B&B. Beautifully decorated and very comfortable. My only complaint here is the yurt walls don't block out the crunching sound of the clam shells when they are being driven or walked on. Loreto we spent 2 night, 1 at the Iguana Inn and the other at the San Bruno. Both were nice but the San Bruno was only 300 pesos so a better buy. Drove into La Paz on May 1.

We stayed for the first 4 weeks at the El Moro thanks to some friends sharing their 'timeshare' purchase with us so it was very inexpensive. Got to feeling guilty about using all their time and moved over to Casa Buena for the last 9 nights. Would recommend both of these places but Casa Buena is a better bargain unless you get to know our 'timeshare' friends.

Headed back home on June 7th and made it back to the boat in the Bay Area on the 9th. It was much better this trip than the month we spent down there in January when it was so cold!

Oh yeah, we bought a house.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 10:48 PM

Okay, read your story and loved the pics...so when is the house warming party?

Zac

amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 12:31 AM

So I assume your new house is in La Paz? Didn't see any pictures of it on your other thread, so we'll wait patiently. Nomads like pictures.
Welcome to Baja California Sur.

--Amir
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 09:33 AM
A bit premature?

I should have said we are buying a house and it is in La Paz. About 1/2 mile from Marina La Paz. Have a signed contract but no deed yet.

Housewarming party in Nov or Dec.

[Edited on 6-16-2007 by BMG]

I think the world is run by C- students.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
Oh yeah, we bought a house.

Watched your video, then read this. Now there's coca splurted all over my keyboard. "Oh yeah, we bought a house." Right on!!! Y'all be sure to keep me informed about that housewarming, ya hear?!:biggrin::dudette:

Really, though.... you're blessed. A great big congratulations to you both.:yes:;D

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 10:32 AM

In BMG's post he mentioned the disinfectant smell at the Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario. I haven't noticed it that much, but that's probably because I have gotten used to Pinesol. It is used throughout Mexico. Regarding not being able to sleep because of the crunching of clam shells under walking feet or tires, that's your burglar alarm. :O When you settle into your new house, spread them around outside. You won't need a guard dog. I'm such a poor sleeper, I am kept awake by the sound of the clams eating....kind of a shell snapping sound.:spingrin:

I always drive down. If you allow yourself the time to be able to stop and explore, that really relieves the tension; the scenery is truely beautiful...and distracting :o driving straight through is dangerous and stressful. I know...many people tough it through, but I'm talking about enjoying your trip and staying alive in the process.

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 07:21 PM
drive time

We took 6 days to drive down from the SF Bay Area but spent 2 nights in Loreto. Never seemed like we were pushing it except for the 1st day from SF to SD. We did make quite a few stops but since we were driving a Camry (jeez the topes are high in Loreto!) we were limited to the paved road. Even so we busted a motor mount. Good news, the repair in La Paz for a new mount plus labor was U$190 which I think is a great deal.

On the return trip we were booking because we stayed too long in La Paz. We made it back in 3 days. That is a long trip and I don't recommend it. Saw 3 wrecks, 1 going and 2 returning. All were single vehicle truck accidents (1 was a cement truck.) And the answer is 'no'. We did not cause any of them.

toneart - Didn't smell like Pinesol but had a definite medicinal odor. Maybe those Cubans have had a little affect on the sense of smell? :tumble: Never heard a clam eating. No further comments on that subject.

I must say that I enjoy reading this forum. Seems like a lot of nice people here along with some interesting characters for added spice. I am happy to get such a welcoming greeting from you all. Thanks.

I think the world is run by C- students.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.