Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tankless Water Heater
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 08:50 AM
Tankless Water Heater

Another morning watching dolphins,
Saw the "on demand hot water" post in February, but, hoping new members/experiences may opine on tankless water heaters. Lots of decisions upon me, as house is is framed and electricity, gas lines, appliance location decisions are upon me. Thanks for any advice.

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 09:19 AM

water pressure is a consderation as you'll need between 35-45 lbs to obtain operational limits for the heater. I'm installing the tankless heater in my new house in La paz but have to provide a regulated water system to increase the pressure, but I had to do that anyway because pressure was so low due to proximity to the water supply tank for my neighborhood.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 09:31 AM

We put in a demand heater about 15-20 years ago, and have never been sorry. The first one needed replacing...they weren't as good then, and it was in a house that was continually under construction, and in an area that was partially exposed, so rusting was a problem. The down side is that you can stand under a hot shower all day...not too bad on foggy cold June days, but then you get the water bill! And the guilt for using too much water. I think they are great. Don't know if I would think it was better than a solar water heater, though.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 10:15 AM

Doc ---

If you would like some first hand advice on the plusses and minuses of tankless, come on down and talk with my neighbor, Bob Durell. He just went through it and there seems to be a few technical details that are crucial to success. He will recommend them although, not all of them.
You know where I'm building?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 10:39 AM

Doc;....go look at the one I have in my garage. Bought it at the Ensenada Home Depot for about $242USD. It will handle two outlets at once. I really like it and it works great.......I'll try and send you some photos tonight.
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 10:58 AM

We considered one for our house in Todos Santos, but were told by several plumbers that there are no parts here and nobody that knows how to fix them. The decision was not hard to make, an unserviceable heater is no heater at all.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 12:53 PM

I bought a Mexican model, by Splendid, at City Club in La Paz, about 2000 pesos as I remember for my off the grid palapa. I do like it, but there are serious downsides. adequate waterpressure, as mentioned above, is a must. I can't take a shower or wash dishes and water the garden at the same time, either. also, adjusting the temperature can be tricky. I noticed that using the tap to mix to my preferred temperature was just a little weird...temperature fluctuated independently of the taps. so I read the manual (spanish, of course) and adjusting the temperature by using the cold tap is NOT RECOMMENDED. the instrucctions say to use the temp dial on the heater to set the preferred level of hotness. and also says not to use a setting below minimum. I found that a shower required a setting way below minimum. and I use max only for dishwashing...and use caution with that! ouch! scalding.
am thinking paying the bigger bucks for an American made model might have been wiser. but maybe even those have similar problems? some cruiser/boat friends said they had no problems with their marine grade model. (multiply price by at least 3 or 5 times, though)
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 12:55 PM

addendum to previous post...obviously I have to go to the unit to change the temperature between showers and dishes. I've gotten used to this and it's conveniently located but this could be a real drawback for the rest of you.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 12:57 PM

I understand some repair concerns but most hot water heaters that are electric last 10 or more years and then generally don't get repaired as they rust out or repairs cost nearly as much as replacement and that's true for these tankless heaters too.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 01:00 PM

I have a SPLENDID model (don't know the exact model number), purchased at HD in Ensenada. It has settings for one or two water outlets (points of use) on the control dial. Plenty of hot water for normal stuff, and I am running 60lb of pressure downstairs. Have not measured upstairs yet. I find that if you start with hot all the way on, then GRADUALLY cut in cold, the thing works great.......plus, I am not heating 40 or 50 gallons of water all day when I don't need it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 01:06 PM

BG ----

Jeezo.....I hope SPLENDID is the brand name.

Im into old school water heating. Insulated tank with no electronics. If it quits, I can fix it.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 09:07 PM

A friend of ours installed 2 of them for her house (2 bathrooms) and LOVES them. We are thinking of putting them into our place, too!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 09:18 AM
paloma

i use a 30 year old paloma....it purrs. easy to install , a pleasure to use.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 10:23 AM

I have the Splendid (yes, that's the brand name, Mexican product) I would highly recommend you go with a Paloma instead if you can find one. see my previous post this topic.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 10:48 AM

I plan to import a Rheem- as they have bigger sizes for whole house use and still are reasonable for the size.

see
www.rheemtankless.com
or
www.palomatankless.com

One thing is if the wife runs a bath and I want to take a shower during or right after- most tank heaters make sure I get a cold shower at least at the end of a short hot one. Tankless-- hot as long as you like.

[Edited on 6-19-2007 by capitolkat]

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 12:43 PM

The tankless I'm talking about are LP and only use gas when needed- cheaper and more green friendly than electric and Minnow you can camp if you like I'm looking forward to a more luxuriant life as I spent my days sleeping on the ground and hoping the solar supply lasted through my shower in the Army.:coolup::saint:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 02:12 PM

he.......................re we go. I just put on a kettle of popcorn.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 06:29 PM
We've use a tankless here in Nor-Cal for over 20 years...

...and Like it. We've had the same unit, but have replaced the thermostat 3 or 4 times over the years. Of course it runs on natural gas...and We are on a well/pressure system... You can only take one shower at a time, but having all that hot water when you need it is great!

We have a small Bosch marine unit in our palapa (off the grid) near Mulege...it Doesn't work as well as our home unit...we're Only running a 12volt pump/storage tank system, and can't get the needed pressure many have noted above...

It does make the water hot enough for dish cleaning, and showers...but not 'scalding' hot.

I wouldn't got back to a 'tank' unit...why keep a tank full of hot water all the time, when you only use it a few times a day? My only other thought might to be to use an RV type, small auto-fired tank unit in the palapa - might work just fine for a small place like that...!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.