BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: new board.....
guero_con_taco

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 01:19 PM

5'8" Nectar. Remember that shop in Cardiff south of cardiff reef and north of seaside? I think I was about 9. First board ever was a used Sauritch from same shop. I'm pretty sure I slept next to both of them the first night.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 02:59 PM

I learned to surf (sorta) on my friends SIMMONS board at Sunset Cliffs near the old Cal Western University campus, back in 1955. That was a real thrill, and that board was soooooooo sweet. He had two of them, and I think still has one at his ranch in Montana. His name, Wayne Tompkins.

Wonderful days, for sure.

I never could afford my own board, back then.

Barry
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 04:08 PM
new board

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
I have had a new board for the last MONTH and finally got it into the water today....:biggrin:.....it is a "clone" of my old board from 5 years ago....8'4"...23 + wide and 3+" thick.....went to 'OLD MANS" in south Orange county...3-5 ' fun shape.....

There is always something special with the first day out....even after all these YEARS......:yes:

Remember your first new board?.....

Just Got a new 8' Munoz model from Patagonia, (fletcher C.), rode it once this fall at Camel to make sure it fit and plan on breaking it in in baja this winter.
After back surgery and recovery I'm stoked to be riding a board that handles like a shortboard and paddles like a longboard.
My first new board was a west cliff single pin when I was 12 in Isla Vista, fat rails and a heavy glass job, board was sold by my dad when I took a summer job in the woods. (rats!)
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 07:53 PM

A new board always provides a good stoke Jim. And that wave at Salsipuedes, nice Woody!

I've been riding my neighbor Rod's "Agua" boards. He retired from his shop in Leucadia, but still does a little shaping. Just don't ask and if you are a good neighbor he will sometimes pull something out of his garage and say, "You outta try this one"

This one is an 8' 6" fun shape with a pretty flat rocker for getting in and a rounded pin tail that turns wonderfully. I love this board!

The pic is from this summer at one of those secret spots just down the road from our place.

zzzzzip.jpg - 8kB

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 10:10 PM
7'-2" Rounded pin double concave thruster by GH

A big 'ol rose airbrushed on the top... the wave? Somewhere North of Santa Rosallilita.

(Oh, not my first one but a good one!)

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by bajaandy]

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by bajaandy]

Andywave.jpg - 22kB

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 10:12 PM
Big boys at Punta Baja

A pair of GH's.

PtaBaja.jpg - 43kB

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 06:21 AM

Here I am in 1966, in Miami, with my brand new Oceanside Noserider. Over 9 feet long. That board is still in storage in my x-wife's garage who now lives in Fort Myers, Florida. She told me it is still in mint condition. I want to retrieve it.
Bob H

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 07:27 AM

go get it Bob!!!

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:16 AM

My first board, in 66 was a 9'2 Con, remember them?/ then on to Weber performers..great stick..still have a perfect restored one..now I ride a 9'2 Infinity and a nice 9'0 Robert August wingnut model.....Anyone remember sneaking into Trestles and dodging Marines....no leash's meant you had to know how to swim!!!!!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:19 AM

My error...first board was a 9'3 Ole..remember him??/ second one was the Con..........old age sets in.....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:26 AM

Quote:

no leash's meant you had to know how to swim!!!!!

now, nobody knows how to swim!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 03:17 PM

Shoot, last Spring I lost my newest board, a 6'2" Point Blanks, shaped by Fletcher Chouinard, on the dirt road from Quatro Casas to Punta Colonet. Blew off the top. My friend called "The Baja Surf Tax". Expensive.
My first real board that really worked was a 6'9" V-bottom, Morey Pope Tracker.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 07:13 PM

Here I am I believe at K55 on the north side of the Arroyo in about '76, I was 15 and had snuck out of school with some older boys from the neighborhood, of course none of our parents knew we had crossed the border that day!

The board was a 7'0" Challenger and later rode mostly Casters.

ChallengerBaja.JPG - 41kB

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
go get it Bob!!!

Woody, my 1966 Oceanside Noserider was 9'9" long. The nose of the board stepped slightly lower than the rest of the board to make it ride higher when you wanted to hang five, or even ten if you were lucky enough in Miami waters. It is a great board and was just so much fun.
My X is not easy to deal with on this topic - she says "possession is 9/10 of the law" when I bring it up. And, we are friendly. I just don't get it. I would pay her to let me have it back. I wonder what it's worth and how would I transport it from Florida to San Diego? The last time I saw this board was in her Mother's garage when we seperated and I didn't have room for it. That was in 1975.
Bob H
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:24 PM

30+ years in the rafters???? it may not be a pretty sight anymore. but at least it's humid so maybe there is hope, or not. get yourself some racks, pull up to the house and ANNOUNCE that your midlife crisis is in full swing and nobody better get in the way of you and your board. strap it to the roof and head west, young man!!!!:light:

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:35 PM

Good stories ....and how about those "old" pictures...aren't they great!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Good stories ....and how about those "old" pictures...aren't they great!

Jim, here's another one. This is how we paddled in those days to catch one wave in a set. I had calcium deposits on my kinees from doing this so much. The smile on my face tells it all. Check out the home made Jams I'm wearing. My Mom made them for me. 1966 at it's best.
Bob H

[Edited on 12-10-2008 by Bob H]

[Edited on 12-10-2008 by Bob H]
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 12:31 PM

Wow Bob does that bring back a memory. My mom made me a bold pair of jams too around that time. I was in Jr. high. Hardly anyone had them yet. A couple or really cute high school girls approached me at the Manhattan Beach pier and chatted me up. I was feeling pretty cool until I figured out they just wanted to know where I bought my jams. What a jerk. I was to ashamed to say my mommy made them so I told the girls they were from JC Penneys.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
30+ years in the rafters???? it may not be a pretty sight anymore. but at least it's humid so maybe there is hope, or not. get yourself some racks, pull up to the house and ANNOUNCE that your midlife crisis is in full swing and nobody better get in the way of you and your board. strap it to the roof and head west, young man!!!!:light:

Woody, it's been wrapped in some type of blanket or wrap of some kind. And, now I understand that it's not in a garage but in a storage place - where the area is sealed to keep out dust, etc. Oh, I'd love to see that board again.... and.... maybe even try it out again. I have not surfed since a visit to Hawaii in the early 80's. Barely could make it outside. And, I had no clue what to do with the ankle strap that was there. We never had those. You had to swim your a$$ off every time you wiped out.... usually all the way to shore.
Bob H
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 07:47 PM

new board.....6 months old 9'6" epoxy log going thru the motions notice the lack of a leash? i know how to swim!!! at the ob pier this summer.....:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-12-2008 by woody in ob]

100_3413 (Small).jpg - 50kB

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.