Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Seeking employment in Los Cabos
Lizzers

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 06:57 PM
Seeking employment in Los Cabos

Hello All,
I am seeking employment in the Los Cabos area. My background is in sales/marketing/business development, but I am open to all opportunities.

Some facts about me:
Bilingual, bicultural
Prior experience living and working in Mexico
MBA
Strong work ethic
Self-starter
Eager to learn
Proficient in Microsoft Office and other software

If you have an opportunity or know of someone that is looking for some help, please send me a message.

Thank you
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 08:54 PM

Lizzers;

We are screening all employment prospects. Please review the below thread and report back to us if you have any of these additions............

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25218

:lol::lol::lol:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 06:36 AM

Do you have working papers?..

amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 07:12 AM

Assuming you have all the permits and are registered with Hacienda:

How many hours do you want to work a week?

How much do you want to make an hr / wk ?

Are you looking for seasonal work or year-round employment?
Lizzers

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 10:01 AM

Larry,
Yeah, I've heard about those new things called "timeshares". I don't think many people are doing it yet.... Maybe I could get in on the ground floor ha ha
:tumble::tumble:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 10:49 AM

Its the old, chicken before the egg.

A poster asked, "do you have papers?", but an american choosing to work in mexico would be required to get their papers for FM-3 accionista as opposed to tourista or rentista through their mexican employer. You can't have a valid FM-3 which authorizes you to work prior to having a working relationship with a valid employer, since the FM-3 is based on a letter from the employer and a valid RFC #, though, a prospective employee could prepare an FM-3 in advance and all documentation of skills, with translated verisions, bank statements and photos, but these could not be registered or valid with the office of immigration or the hacienda until the employer provided the RFC number and the letters of employment, ensuring that taxes will be paid.

If you go to the effort in advance to prepare the papers, you find yourself in a catch-22 in that they can not be completed until you have the job, so you will have incomplete in process papers that you will have to pay a fee to be updated when it's complete and they are not valid until complete. Comlicating this more, one can not have two visas in process, for example you can't have a valid tourist visa and a FM-3 valid. Basically it will cost nearly double to try to prepare in advance, which is why they say, "go slowly in mexico."

If an employer wants to hire an employee, the employee can theoretically begin to train while papers are in process with the office and often these things can be handled in only a few days if you are in a city with an office such as La Paz, but if there isn't an office there, you have some reasonable excuse as to why things would take longer.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 12:44 PM
Whaaa?

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Its the old, chicken before the egg.

A poster asked, "do you have papers?", but an american choosing to work in mexico would be required to get their papers for FM-3 accionista as opposed to tourista or rentista through their mexican employer. You can't have a valid FM-3 which authorizes you to work prior to having a working relationship with a valid employer, since the FM-3 is based on a letter from the employer and a valid RFC #, though, a prospective employee could prepare an FM-3 in advance and all documentation of skills, with translated verisions, bank statements and photos, but these could not be registered or valid with the office of immigration or the hacienda until the employer provided the RFC number and the letters of employment, ensuring that taxes will be paid.

If you go to the effort in advance to prepare the papers, you find yourself in a catch-22 in that they can not be completed until you have the job, so you will have incomplete in process papers that you will have to pay a fee to be updated when it's complete and they are not valid until complete. Comlicating this more, one can not have two visas in process, for example you can't have a valid tourist visa and a FM-3 valid. Basically it will cost nearly double to try to prepare in advance, which is why they say, "go slowly in mexico."

If an employer wants to hire an employee, the employee can theoretically begin to train while papers are in process with the office and often these things can be handled in only a few days if you are in a city with an office such as La Paz, but if there isn't an office there, you have some reasonable excuse as to why things would take longer.

1. You get off the plane with a tourist Visa.

2. Your future employer prepares a letter which you take, along with personal documentation, to immigration.

3. Immigration issues an FM3/with work permit.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 04:15 PM
Truth stranger than fiction?

[quote][i]Originally posted by lencho[/i]
[quote][i]Originally posted by Lizzers[/i]
Larry,
Yeah, I've heard about those new things called "timeshares". I don't think many people are doing it yet.... Maybe I could get in on the ground floor[/quote]
Too late to keep it secret-- you've mentioned it here. :rolleyes:

--Larry [/quote]

A senior attorney from my wife's firm (yup, she's one of them) returned last week from Cabo and said they had bought a time-share. Don't know where. For those wanting in minimally, time-shares work. Lots of variables involved but it is still real estate investment in Baja -- Cabo's hot even when it's not. In 10 years, 2007 will look like bargain basement. My prediction.

I would also say selling time-shares is some of the easiest hard work available. Work outdoors, in shorts, sun tan lotion, meet interesting people, keep your own hours. Sounds good to me. Or, any number of top real estate offices. Brush up on Mexican real estate law and you'll be exposed to some great deals. No bad days.

http://www.snellrealestate.com/generalre.cfm

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Lizzers

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 10:11 AM

Hi All,
I guess I should have mentioned that I do have an FM-3...I know all about Mexican labor laws as I have lived and worked in Mexico before.

Cheers,
Lizzers
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 06:34 PM

Larry
This may be old news but did you know that you have a bug going back and forth in your signature

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:37 PM

I see nothing unusual in your signature Larry - although now the avatar is reversed.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:43 PM

right below the yellow dotted line, above the first sentence that says, "they were careful" there is a "bug" crawling from left to right.:?:

[Edited on 6-25-2007 by woody in ob]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:47 PM

I see the smiley but it ain't moving. :O

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 08:02 PM

directly below the word "Larry" there is a dotted (solid for those whose eyesight isn't what it once was) line. directly below the line there is a dot the size of a "period" ( . ) that is moving from left to right!!!!!!!!

they're heeeere!!!!

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 08:53 PM

Thanks woody - finally see it - Way smaller than a period - I've got the magnification way up and it doesn't change size - back and forth - back and forth-

Actually since it doesn't change size, it's easier to spot with small type.

[Edited on 6-25-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 10:16 PM

But getting back to Lizzers' problems, although the bug may be one of them, I suggest that he or she use the MBA to develop a personal business plan. I would focus in the area of financial planning/advice. Contact one of the major international players, like ING or Citigroup, and offer to open an office in Cabo, where I'm sure there is no dearth of opportunity to help ex-pats with financial services. I've personally had success with this approach (with Merrill Lynch), and if Lizzers can package the idea attractively, he or she will have a wonderful time in Cabo.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.