Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Living in Ensenada
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 03:03 PM
Living in Ensenada

What are some of the nicer safer areas to live?

Anyone from there that might be able to point me in the right direction?

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 03:48 PM

If you go to Tripadvisor.com, on the Baja forum, there is a regular who lives in Ensenada; I think his wife is in med school there. Anyway, I'm sure he could tell you something about the various areas.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:01 PM

The closer you are to the water, the safer you are.
Never unload your machinegun or leave your doors unlocked.
Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:12 PM

You might want to look at The Baja Country Club. The setting is lovely; it's very, very private and secure, and the prices are reasonable. Since the Mexicans tend to have relatively small lots and build almost to the lot line, a number of people are starting to buy two lots and build one house. You can still buy a two story house for under $200,000, and it is beautifully finished. They will also work with you on other designs. The builder, Jaime Garcia, builds to U.S. standards and is thoroughly trustworthy. www.bajacountryclub.com
(No, I don't work for him; I do live in his other development, Club Marena in Rosarito.)
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:21 PM
QPB

Some of our neighbors from the South Campos bought at the Country Club. Very nice homes for about $200,000 in great neighborhood.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pstreet1
You might want to look at The Baja Country Club. The setting is lovely; it's very, very private and secure, and the prices are reasonable. Since the Mexicans tend to have relatively small lots and build almost to the lot line, a number of people are starting to buy two lots and build one house. You can still buy a two story house for under $200,000, and it is beautifully finished. They will also work with you on other designs. The builder, Jaime Garcia, builds to U.S. standards and is thoroughly trustworthy. www.bajacountryclub.com
(No, I don't work for him; I do live in his other development, Club Marena in Rosarito.)

Bajaguy should be along shortly to agree with everything Pstreet says. He and his lovely wife recently took possesion of their beautiful house at the CC. I've been around Ensenada for a long time and this would be, probably, my only recommendation at this time.

[Edited on 6-21-2007 by DENNIS]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:48 PM
Yup

Thanks, Dennis and Pstreet...............yes, we have a house at the Country Club.......I would highly recommend it.....I will u2u you with details.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 06:49 PM

QuePasaBaja,
Have you spent much time in Ensenada? I have lived here for 8 months and still in discovery mode. Suggestion to anyone is to vacation and/or rent to experience what you/yours enjoy before plunking down cash.

OFCOURSE I don't follow my own advice. I spent a whopping 4 days here last September before buying.

Thought about being BajaGuy's neighbor, but, that might have threatened his supply of Pacificos. I'm building my house on Punta Banda peninsula.

Next visit, holler at any/all of us, as I have found this board and other locals to be very open about sharing their experiences and challenges.

Just talking to my family/friends throughout USA past 2 weeks about how fortunate I feel to have found this place.

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 07:42 PM

do get a long term rental and spend some time looking around...even if you think you found the perfect place to call home, you still have to learn how to LIVE here; and that can be a problem. You have to wait for the water guy, the propane guy --- and they may or may not show up that day. And you have to wait for your electric bill and phone bill to show up at your door and pay it pronto! Or you're cut off! This is not like living in the US where everything shows up endlessly and you get a bill in the very reliable mail and pay your bill on line. Practice first!!! Many great places in the greater Ensenada area and you have to pick what is right for you and your situation.
Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:57 PM

Rule #1, as relayed to me by a friend who had lived here for years before I bought, "If you can't get that time is not money here, don't buy here. It isn't, and it won't be within your lifetime. You have to be able to shift to the local way of thinking; if you can't, don't become a local."
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 10:38 PM
Dang!!!

Well, now you all have done it!!!!! I was trying for another Nomad neighbor...:no::no::no:
tigerdog
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 08:47 AM

So how does one find a long term rental in Ensenada and know it's a safe area? Especially if one has to do it more or less from a distance? Any recommendations?

\"You know Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocket-ship underpants don\'t help.\" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes

Visit me at Rocky Point Tides
http://rptides.blogspot.com/
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 08:59 AM

If you have the time, probably the best way is to start with short-term rentals. It will give you the chance to learn a little about the area, and to meet people who can help you network until you find what suits you. I'm sure many Nomads would agree to see you, and you can meet people who took widely varying approaches toward settling here, like Dock (who I hear bought a property before he changed his clothes after arriving) and us (who watched our grandkids grow while we looked). The good news is that you have numerous choices in the Ensenada vicinity; the bad news is that there's no individual, like a real estate agent, who can help you make an immediate choice. It takes time, and heaven knows in Baja, we have lots of that!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 09:55 AM

Don't know your budget, but check out Cibola del Mar. This is located just past the toll gate, up the hill on the West side of the road, all overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I think it's the second exit, go under a bridge, and enter through a security gate. It all overlooks Punta San Miguel!
Bob H
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Don't know your budget, but check out Cibola del Mar.

Very classy..... Huge houses.......expensive. The Cibola developer is Jean Luc Bitterlin, an Ensenada architect. His family owns the El Rey Sol restaurant in town. Another class act.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Don't know your budget, but check out Cibola del Mar.

Very classy..... Huge houses.......expensive. The Cibola developer is Jean Luc Bitterlin, an Ensenada architect. His family owns the El Rey Sol restaurant in town. Another class act.

There are some places there that have been there for over 20 years that are not like the high end homes built over the last 6 or 7 years.... Bob H
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 11:26 AM

I don't know, Bob. 20 years ago it was considered first class. Maybe some places have been neglected. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to look.
tigerdog
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 01:45 PM

Gracias a todos for your input. I've been thinking about checking Ensenada out for some time. Maybe I'll finally do it. Need to find a furnished place that will take a small dog, either short or long term. I'll look into Cibola del Mar.

Anyone know much about the La Mision area? Bajamar?

Used to like Rosarito many years ago but alas, she's a no good no more. :)

\"You know Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocket-ship underpants don\'t help.\" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes

Visit me at Rocky Point Tides
http://rptides.blogspot.com/
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerdog
Used to like Rosarito many years ago but alas, she's a no good no more. :)

If I would have posted that it would have self destructed.:lol:

I don't know how much dinero you intend to invest, but the #1 area in ensenada is know as Pedregal. Go to downtown Enseanada and look up the nearest hill. You cannot miss it.:no:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 01:58 PM

Tom ---

Is that Chapultepec Hill you're talking about?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.