Author: Subject: Matomi Trip Report
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 2-21-2004 at 10:11 PM
Matomi Trip Report

Matomi 2004 Trip Report

Thursday, Feb. 12, 2004
After clearing snow off the top of the Hummer, we packed fire logs, tents, and other camping gear on the roof rack. It was freezing temperatures in Mammoth, CA., but the night was clear.

Friday, Feb. 13, 2004
Last minute runs for block ice and beer had us on the road at 6:20 p.m. departing from Taco Bell in Bishop, CA. Good music, lots of joking around, and the four travelers arrived in El Centro at about 12:30 a.m. GeoRock (Suzanne), JeepPete (Pete), Alicia and Brittany, checked into a clean comfortable room at the Ramada Inn on Ocotillo Avenue. Sleep came easily.

Saturday, Feb. 14, 2004
Juice and bear claws composed a quick breakfast and we hit road about 7:15 a.m. Crossing the border was a snap; no secondary this time. We made it to San Felipe and stopped for some tequila and lunch. Each trip we pick a new tequila to try. This time it was El Amo, reposado. $209 pesos bought a 750 ml bottle. It is 100% agave and while pretty darn good, it is not as good as some others we have found. We purchased a 1 liter bottle of Reposado Tequila Corralejo for $280 pesos. This was our back-up, in case the El Amo wasn?t any good. Tostados and quesadillas for lunch put us back on the road for our Matomi reunion destination.

I (GeoRock) was rockin? to the tunes and haulin? ass down the highway when Pete mumbles that he just saw a sign for Campo Nuevo Mazatlan. I didn?t see the sign, but did notice a gringo standing at the highway. I just figured he was drunk?.but it turned out to be Surfer Jim!

We quickly set up camp, after greetings, forcing the teenager girls to set up their own tent. Pete finally felt sorry for them and took over.

Everybody headed to Shell Island; where tires were aired down to accommodate the loose sand. The Hummer was a Cadillac on wheels, even in the sand. Mike H.?s suburban, however, wasn?t fairing well. It stopped dead in it?s tracks. As to be expected, a group of men converged on the downed vehicle. David K. pulled out the most filthy, beaten-up air filter ever seen by anyone present. As the group looked on in stunned astonishment, followed by laughter, David beat the filter against a tire. It resulted in a cloud of dust. David became Charlie Brown?s buddy, Pig Pen. The evidence of thousands of Baja miles surrounded him in a thick cloud. The dust did not end with a few whacks, this continued for a while. Amazingly, the suburban started right up and had no further trouble after this beach side cleaning. It was strongly recommended to Mike that he purchase a new air filter.

Back at el campo, Pete fired up the Coleman and I steamed tamales and made a green salad. MaryAnn brought over a plateful of fantastic caramelized onions and garlicky mushrooms that Mike H. saut?ed. Boy, they were really good.

Darkness found the group circled around the campfire and telling tales, some tall, some not. It was agreed that the group were some of the finest Baja travelers around, and that a reunion would be mandatory.

Sunday, February 15, 2004
I?m certain Mike H. threw a rock at my tent to wake me, so rise and shine I did round about seven-thirty. I passed along the misery by waking the girls. A quick breakfast and some coffee and the group was gathering to hit the road for the main event of the trip: Matomi Canyon. It was nearly a hundred miles round trip; roughly 80 of it off-road. We drove through sandy washes; through whoop-d-do vados (dips); through mesquite car washes; through boulders; and pre-ran some of Score?s Baja 250 racecourse.

Our first stop was to scour the earth for obsidian teardrops; small, smooth pieces of obsidian scattered around the desert pavement.

At Matomi Canyon we stopped and ate lunch. Down at the waterfall, I was the first one brave enough to jump into the refreshing deep, sandy-bottomed pool. Next in were Alicia and Sara. While standing there in just their undergarments, one of the Mexican EPA equivalents kept popping up in view, above the waterfall. Us gals kept shooing him away, as we wanted to jump back into the pool. He disappeared and reappeared about 4 times. The last time he had a camera. Pat made a deserving derogatory remark about him, and added that we should moon him. I looked at her to assess the seriousness of her comment and replied, ?I will if you will.? Her smile was her answer and we quickly lined up. Two of the teens surprised us by joining our line-up. Pants went down as we all bent over to give the pervert a FULL MOON OVER MATOMI !!!

Traveling on, we had a stop where Sara brushed against a cholla. Multiple needles quickly lodged into her hand, right through the sleeve of her sweatshirt. Fighting back tears, that brave girl pulled each needle out herself. She is one tough Baja cookie. A bottle of Corralejo tequila was produced so she could ease her pain, just as in the wild old west.

Word traveled like fire that there was a bottle of great tequila being passed around, and soon the Hummer was a beehive of activity as Matominites gathered for swigs of very smooth aged agave nectar.

A dusty group rode back into camp and fired up stoves for easy dinners. Later, at the campfire, some very smooth cigars were graciously offered by Bob H. Pat and Suzanne joined him in smoking, but not inhaling (!), the treats.

Monday, February 16, 2004
Some of the group headed out early, so the size of Matominites shrunk. Some of us drove to a nearby sulphur mine. It didn?t take long for me to be covered with sulphur and clay-containing-mostly-gypsum dust inside a small mine, searching for that perfect specimen. (See my report on sulphur, dated 2-21-04, titled ?The Fire of Hell.?)

Stinking of brimstone, we returned to camp for the breakdown and load-up. David K. drove the Hummizzle back to camp. I noticed he drove slower than I see him driving in his Toyota?but I appreciated it.

For one last taste of Baja, we stopped in San Felipe for lunch and to let the teens buy some junk before leaving Mexico. They had been good sports during the trip, though Alicia fought hard not wanting to come. In the end, I think she had the most fun. We left SF about 1:30 p.m. The drive home was grueling. A rock hit the windshield, smack center. It has already expanded across the window more than halfway, so the windshield will have to be replaced. We arrived home to 8 degrees in Mammoth and a light snow. It was nearly 1:30 a.m., a long drive, but worth every second.

Long live the Matomi-nites! We can?t wait ?till the next reunion.

[Edited on 2-22-2004 by GeoRock]

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2004 at 10:34 PM

I love it.....party hardy in the hummer....way to go...thanks geo rock for a great story....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-21-2004 at 10:37 PM

That's a great report GeoRock! The whole weekend was 'epic' to say the least! All three girls had a great time, as well. We may be 'nomads' (solo campers), but on those occaisions that we 'group up', it sure is memorable!

As for my ability to get out (or help Mike H. out) of mechanical problems in bad places... it's just natural after all my Baja years. I sent a link to the Matomi trip site to my high school friend who went with me in '75 in my buggy. He looked at the attached link and it brought back a memory related to my Baja-style mechanical fix-up. Here was what he emailed me tonight:

Boy, the memories came flying back from the web site that you have set up about Nuevo Mazatlan from yesterday to today, especially your old buggy, what a ride, especially that time when we hit a rock and put a leak in the gas tank and you had me rubbing a bar of soap on it to stop the leak!! Take care. Peace. M.

[Edited on 2-22-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2004 at 12:31 AM
Regarding Air Filters

I was taught by Debra that the more delicate and lighter white boxed wines serve well to cleanse underwear and automotive air filters. In my experience this it true. But NEVER use red wines of any type on either! This could be a disaster! Firstly and with respect to the air filters, while the white wine is smoothe enough to break down the sedementation and residue collected by the filter, the reds, either merlot or Burgandy, only added particulates and exacerbated the problem.

And washing my underwear with Bordeaux? Well, I was accused of "staining." How could they be so cruel???
GeoRock
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2004 at 12:36 AM

Mike, I don't know what you've been drinking, but I can tell you that it would be a perfectly good waste of merlot to use it to wash stained underwear, air filters, or your hair.

[Edited on 2-22-2004 by GeoRock]

For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2004 at 01:05 AM

Whatever I've been drinking it's been sanitized by the droppings I saved from Davids inspecton of my air filter. These are better than a Reverse Osmosis unit and presently filtering out sediments down to .000043 mil. Thus I can imbibe the pure natural juices. Fortunately, alcohol finds its ways through those membranes. Alas.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2004 at 01:09 AM

Stop it!!!:o:D:yes: Mike, start writing your Matomi report!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2004 at 09:19 AM

Suzanne, that was great! And, I am happy that you enjoyed the cigar. I think Pat did too. Your report lets us relive that great weekend in detail. It was fantastic to meet everyone there.
Bob H :tumble:
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2004 at 03:37 PM

Suzanne, thank you for that great report. I almost felt I was there. Maybe next year.....

Linda:bounce:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-23-2004 at 04:55 PM
bob h -

what kind of cigar? brand? tobacco......it's my favorite vegetable.:coolup:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 08:18 AM

Capt. Mike, I look forward to meeting you some day. We will be coming down to spend two weeks (starting April 10) - a few days in Mulege and a few more in Bahaia d-LA.
Anyway, I have two great cigars that I currently like a lot.

GeoRock had the Baccarat.
Baccarat (Honduras)
Baccarat cigars have been producing some of the mildest and aromatic cigars since 1871. A favorite of new cigar smokers as well as many seasoned men and women cigar smokers, Baccarat is handmade with an all-Honduran tobacco blend and a sweet-tasting wrapper also found in some traditional Cuban cigars. These popular premium cigars are as consistent in construction and flavor as they are affordable, too. $50/box of 25 Toro 6"x50

Pat (MexRay's wife) had this one:
Vueltabajo (Dominican Republic)
Named after the legendary fertile Cuban valley these are great smokes. Originally introduced by Carlos Torano in the late 1980's, Vueltabajo cigars offer superb construction, easy draw and rich flavor in an affordably-priced selection. Oily, Ecuadorian Connecticut wrappers surround a medium-strength blend of select Dominican Piloto Cubano fillers. Hints of Old Havana's by-gone era can be found in every puff. Well worth trying. Also, about $50/box of 25 Toro 6"x50

Send me an email and I'll give you more information on where I buy from an absolutely outstanding selection.
Bob H :tumble:
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 10:27 AM
Cigars/Bob H.

I am fairly new to the cigar scene but have found a couple of places on the internet to purchase my cigars. Cigars International and Famous Smoke Shop. Have you tried the Trilogy Exotic? (yes, they are legal) For some of the people who might like flavored cigars the Cojimar Vanilla's are quit tasty. I also like the Baccarat and the Vueltabajo. (too bad it is not Vuelta"BAJA".. :biggrin:. That would be the perfect Baja cigar) If you have another place to purchase cigars please let me know. I will have to make the Matomi trip next year. Just reading about it makes me drool!!! Great post Geo. I am glad that you all had a good time and returned safely. Baja Red
GeoRock
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 10:50 AM

Speaking of drooling, I am doing so in rememberance of that great cigar. Bob, what was the website that sells them at those prices? Thanks again for the treat. I look forward to our next meeting.

Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 11:45 AM
GeoRock/Tequila

What kind of Tequila were you furnishing the safari with?? I am not happy that I missed the trip and am still looking forward to meeting all of you. Especially after seeing the pictures and reading the post. Hopefully next trip. Baja Red:cool:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 04:18 PM

GeoRock, Baja Red mentioned one of the places I get them from. Great prices, some are marked down 50%.
http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/index.cfm
You can order a catalog online and also view cigars by brand by clicking on "cigar" at the top tab bar.
I have discovered another place that lets you buy them by the pack of 5, so you can try more out, but I have the web site at home (I'm at work right now).
By the way, the boxes that these cigars come in, the Baccarat and Vueltabajo, are a piece of artwork in itself.
Anther fantastic cigar you can buy here is call "La Gloria Cubana" another fantastic Dominican Republic variety.
Enjoy!
Bob H

[Edited on 2-25-2004 by Bob H]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 05:02 PM

BajaRed, we look forward to you (and any others with 'Baja fever' in) joining us either in Baja or at my Viva Baja parties in Southern California... You will likely meet another 'Baja Red'.... Graham Mackintosh!:

http://davidksbaja.com/vivabaja4 ('03)

http://davidksbaja.com/vivabaja3 ('02)

http://davidksbaja.com/vivabaja2 ('01)

http://davidksbaja.com/vivabaja ('00)

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 06:55 PM
WOW, Bob, toros and robustos are my fav

sizes. I get a box a month from Thompson's Cigar in tampa FL. am sure you know those guys - great consistent prices and quality. i look forward to searching their on line store for your recs. i have been enjoying Habano primeros in maduro as my current box selection, i'll have many in mulege april 9 to 12 as we celebrate my 50 years on planet earth, stop by the serenidad when you're there, look for my pirate flag a waving!

now, for a tequila rec, Mateo Elgatoloco was by the phx house a coupla weeks ago and presented me with a bottle of Gran Centario.....un frickin real....silky.... its very expensive and worth every penny, i mean peso!

like he says....life is too short to drink cheap tequila!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 07:00 PM

Mike, I just added two more cigar smoking photos to the Matomi site...!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 07:16 PM

Capt Mike, we will most likely see you there as we love the margi's at the Serenidad - we plan to arrive no later than the 12th, hope you are still there. Goal is to get ther by the 11th. By the way, for the famous smoke place, I have found it much easier to order via phone line rather than via the net. Maybe I should try again, don't remember why. I've heard of Thompsons, and will also try your rec's. Cigars are great, during any social event, as long as you have good ventilation so as not to offend anyone. Around a campire is outstanding.
Bob H:P
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 07:22 PM

Wow, this thread has a lot to do about cigars. The other great (prices very good too and cheap shipping) web site where you can order blocks of 5/each at great prices is http://www.jrcigars.com/
I'm sure SkiBaja will like the name of that place.
Bob H Cigar Man... :fire:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.