BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Ultra low sulphur diesel????
fossilnut

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 06:19 PM
Ultra low sulphur diesel????

We just purchased a new 2007 Chevy diesel pickup which we HAD planned to use for Baja trips. But I've been hearing hints of information that the ultra low sulphur fuel which we need may not be available in Baja. Does anyone know what the truth is? Also.. if not available, what would happen if we were to use regular diesel fuel?????

Thanks.

Sandy
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 06:24 PM

Probably ought to ask your Chev dealer the consequences of using a "non-approved" diesel fuel.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:05 PM

i just got one too....

the dealer service dept told me "no problem"
warranty is 100.000 miles

it's in mulege now...

2 tanks of pmex
i'll report any problems:tumble:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:27 PM

they ALSO told me...
emissions warranty is for 5 years

if the fuel kills it the dodge dealer will fix for free
the computers are supposed to fix any emissions problems....

we already needed a computer software upgrade:tumble:
all 2007's needed it

our website is:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:28 PM

Instead of guessing, why not ask BajaCactus?

It used to be reported that Mexican diesel was better than U.S.!!??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:33 PM

For those with older trucks the problem, if any will be with a lack of lubrosity. Reducing the amount of sulfur reduced the lubrosity of the fuel which can cause drying of O-rings etc. It is suggested to use an additive like Dieselkleen that increases the lubrosity and boosts cetane with every tank. You could also add 2 oz of 2-stroke oil per 8 gallons of fuel or a 10% bio mix to replace the lubrosity.

Newer trucks are supposed to use low-ash oil and fuel additives to avoid clogging so the 2-stoke option is no good for them. Check with your dealer for recommended additives.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:47 PM

No guessing involved - ULSD is not available in Mexico.

I certainly hope that warranties will be honored, because you WILL have problems using "standard" diesel.
Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:05 PM

I have an 06 Chevy w/Duramax. At 20K miles now with over 3K in Baja.
No issues so far.
Don't know if an 06 is different than 07 (except the 100K warrenty) :?:
Truck seems to run fine on the Mex Diesel.
I sure like the 1.30 discount per gallon.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:10 PM

As far as I know, the '06 vehicles are not "regenerating", ULSD motors. That started in '07.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:19 PM

From the DEC website:

3. What happens if I fuel my new truck with the old higher sulfur fuel?

Incorrectly fueling a 2007 model year or later engine with high sulfur fuel will damage the emission controls. The catalyst will be rendered useless and the emissions will not be controlled. Excess sulfur will plug the particulate trap which may cause a back pressure and possibly damage the engine. Fueling a truck with a 2007 and later model year engine with high sulfur fuel will void the engine warranty and is against federal law.

Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:28 PM

Well I guess that is good news for the 06 and older owners.
If it has a catalitic converter like some gas engine cars it could be removed if you are living in Mex.
I promise not to tell on you.:D
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:40 PM

Great subject....... Very important....In past years when refueling some vessels with diesel in alot of out of the way spots internationalywe found out there was a big wide gap in the consistancy of diesel fuel. We found water in the fuel was always the bain. We could always tell by running the motors on the vessels we were delivering to everywhere and back.... that by listening closely to how the engine or engines would sound we could determine if they wre running starved or rich. Extra loud or "pingy" we would add 1/4 cup of 20w for every 2 gals of fuel added. If the exhaust was to dark then we would add more diesel. Trust your instincts and ears. Ive noticed the same is true in newer trucks. You can can always add MARVEL MYSTERY OIL.... it works great too. I never leave home without it!!!! ++C++
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:36 PM

Im hanging onto my 2006! I dont care how cool that tailgate step is:spingrin:
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 11:37 PM
Diesel Bajo Azufre...

My friends,

For several months now, Pemex Refinacion (that is the part of Pemex that produces fuel) has been producing Low Sulfur Diesel, known in Mexico as "Pemex Diesel Bajo Azufre".

This type of Diesel has been distributed all around Mexico for more than 8 months now, slowly replacing the old one (When received, it gets mixed with the old one, so it takes a while to reach it's optimal low sulfur quality).

Pemex also sent mobile laboratories throughout Baja to check on the new Diesel quality at the beginning of this year... they arrived at BajaCactus in february 2007... they checked our Diesel and told us it was already 98% Low Sulfur, back then, and according to them, at our Gas Station, it should not have taken more than a couple of weeks to achieve it's optimal levels.

At this point it is supposed to be all around Mexico.

On a related note, also Premium fuel has also been upgraded to a Ultra Low Sulfur version, known as "Premium UBA" (Ultra Bajo Azufre).

Regarding the quantity of sulfur in each fuel, I do not know... but if you guys really need/want to know, I would be happy to try and find out for you.

In the near future, you may begin to see the change in the Gas Stations signs of the new fuel... it just takes a while since those are expensive and the owner of the Gas Station has to pay for them out of their profits.

Hope this info helps my friends.

BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 6-28-2007 by BajaCactus]

Diesel_Premium.jpg - 40kB

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 12:13 AM

I have a diesel 2003 Chevy 2500 HD Silverado and have had no problem with using Mexico diesel in it nor has my brother with his 2006 Dodge 2500. I try to change my fuel filter every fourth oil change just to try and keep problems away if possible. I had a diesel mechanic advise me to do so. Now I have a friend that had a 2007 Chevy 2500 and he did have some problems (noise to the engine he said) using Mexico diesel and after only trying it once will not do it again. So, with Baja Catus answer it looks like with all of the changes Mexico is making maybe this is not a big wave problem as first thought. I do not use any additives but after reading these posts I think I will start. You can never be too sure and if there is something that might lessen the risk of something happening then it's worth trying. Now what is considered the better additive to diesel that you want to swear by because you believe it really makes a different in your vehicle? I appreciate Baja Catus giving his take on this problem and hopefully nothing happens to anyones' trucks. We all know the difference in making a rebuilt engine for a gas vehicle verses a diesel one. Seems like it saves you a lot of costs an then for these what if repairs but sitting around never has been my favorite things. Later------ bajafun777

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 12:15 AM
Sulfur Content...

Ok Guys, here you go... the memo (resumed and translated, if you want to read the full note, in spanish, go to: http://www.apartados.hacienda.gob.mx/novedades/espanol/docs/...):

On January 30th, 2006, the Secretary for the Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), published in the Federal Official Diary, the "Specifications for fossil fuels for the protection of the environment", in which are stated the new requirements Pemex will have to comply with, in order to produce and commercialized the fuels and diesel that are sell throughout our country.

The new Premium Ultra Low Sulfur, should have an average of 30 millions per part of sulfur (30 ppm), while the new Pemex Diesel Ultra Low Sulfur will have a maximum of 15 ppm.

These new norms and specifications, are the result of a revision process that started in May of 2002, and in which the private, public and academic sectors participated.

It must be noted that Pemex began to delivered the Premium fuel with the required specifications on October 2006. The quality required should be gradually met, due to the actual existence of fuel in the Gas Station's tanks, with a high content of Sulfur.

Regarding Diesel Ultra Low Sulfur (Diesel UBA), it's introduction began on October 2006, in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua. In January 2007 in will be extensive throughout the Northern part of Mexico and then to the rest of the country.

We should be reminded that in Mexico we only have two kinds of Diesel... Regular diesel and Marine diesel... that is it... while in the States the are several ones, each with different quality and quantities of sulfur.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-28-2007 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 12:25 AM
Sulfur Content in the States...

This an excerpt of the Wikipedia Website on Sulfur Content in the States (if you want to read the full note go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel)

United States

Ultra-low sulfur diesel was proposed by EPA as a new standard for the sulfur content in on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States since October 15, 2006, except for California and rural Alaska. California required it since September 1, 2006, and rural Alaska will transition all diesel to ULSD in 2010. This new regulation applies to all diesel fuel, diesel fuel additives and distillate fuels blended with diesel for on-road use, such as kerosene, however, it does not yet apply to train locomotives, marine, or off road uses. By December 1, 2010, all highway diesel will be ULSD. Non-road diesel will transition to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2010. Locomotive and marine diesel will also transition to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2012. There are exemptions for small refiners of nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel that allow for 500 ppm disel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel produced and imported will be ULSD.

The EPA mandated the use of ULSD fuel in model year 2007 and newer highway diesel fuel engines equipped with advanced emission control systems that require the new fuel. These advanced emission control technologies will be required for marine diesel engines in 2014 and for locomotives in 2015.

BajaCactus

BajaCactus
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 05:48 AM

this IS good news

thanks antonio...

i'm already "burnin" pemex diesel;) from your station

these "lack of lubricant" stories were spread long ago when unleaded gas was introduced too...

my "old hot rods" never had problems with unleaded fuel either...
even though they "required" leaded

alot of these stories are spread from backyard mechanics who really don't know:spingrin:

i'll sure tell you when the truck "croaks":P

our website is:
fossilnut

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 06:21 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the information.

We won't be heading for Baja till October/November so hopefully everything will be working smoothly by then. I was really worried that we'd made a monster mistake by purchasing the new truck. (We'd shopped for used and found either big mileage/abused trucks or trucks that cost almost the same as new). I wasn't looking forward to spending the Winter in Arizona and only dreaming about Baja OR messing up our new truck and getting to know every mechanico in Baja!!!

Thanks again everybody....

Sandy
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 08:08 AM

One thing to remember about diesel fuel in Mexico is that diesel automobiles and small trucks can not be owned and registered in Mexico as private vehicles - The only diesel vehicles that can be licensed are commercial (or marine). They are not producing fuel with the PowerStroke, Duramax and Dodge/Cummins crowd in mind.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.