BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Ultra low sulphur diesel????
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I was refering to this: Fuel in Mexico is probably >500 ppm sulfur.

That sounds like a guess to me...

Guess again, guru.:lol::lol::lol:

Go back to Shell Island ad talk about somethng you know.

http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/mx/fuel.php

In Mexico Low sulfur grade (Diesel Sin) of 0.05% = 500 ppm sulfur content, and Standard grade diesel is 0.5% sulfur content. Now that has some lubricating properties!

Dear Don Jorge, please understand that I am only after the facts and when you said 'probably', it sounded like a guess... to which I suggested asking the expert, a Pemex station owner ('Baja Cactus')... I never claimed any expertise only where to get the answer.

Thankfully, our good friend Antonio 'BajaCactus' has provided the facts and the news is good for all you diesel folks... Aren't you glad?

People, because I post a lot on Nomad does not make me a 'guru' or expert, only that I love to help people and enjoy interacting on some topics... I also have a lot of Baja knowledge to share and am the oldest Nomad after Doug that has been continually active on this forum... thus the high number of posts. I am here to learn as much as I share, and there is so much more Baja that I have not seen then I have.

Thank you Antonio for your time to post the facts!

[Edited on 6-28-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 08:32 AM

Apparently a very good initial suggestion from DK. :P
And thanks to Antonio for updating us with the facts from Pemex.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
No guessing involved - ULSD is not available in Mexico.

I certainly hope that warranties will be honored, because you WILL have problems using "standard" diesel.

:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 09:41 AM

With this new low sulpher diesel stuff I know I'll be keeping my 04 Dodge Diesel for quite some time. Cuz it's going to take Pemex quite some time before they start selling low sulpher. My truck just loves that high sulphur content Pemex diesel. I get about 4 mpg more per gallon (3.78 ltrs) when I'm in the Baja.:bounce:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 10:31 AM

Jorge
if you're "backyard diesel mechanic" DON"T buy a new diesel

unless...you are a computer guru:no:

oh yea the fence hasn't melted yet...i'll report when it does:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 10:58 AM

Just looked at my owners manual for my Jeep Liberty diesel, it says Chrysler recommends using diesel fuel with 15 ppm Sulfer or less, where available. So that must mean if it's not available then use what is?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Just looked at my owners manual for my Jeep Liberty diesel, it says Chrysler recommends using diesel fuel with 15 ppm Sulfer or less, where available. So that must mean if it's not available then use what is?

What year is your Liberty? That makes all the difference in the world.

I agree with Don Jorge. Based on how much different my diesel runs on Mexican diesel (as recently as last week), it doesn't seem like low sulphur diesel to me. It runs much better and quieter than on the USA ULSD. I think what Pemex says and what it does can be quite different.

I plan on keeping my Y2K F-350 for a while. Only 130k on it which is supposed to be only about 1/3 of it's life expectancy.

[Edited on 6-28-2007 by Hook]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 11:44 AM

In talking to our Equipment Manager, I work for a large Civil Engineering Company with lots of diesel equipment both on and offroad, he is concerned with the effects of the new low sulfur fuel on pre 2007 engines.

He equated it to the situation when unleaded fuel was released and older engines had problems with valve seats. I personally didn't have problems but I recall some did.

I'm sure the marketplace will develop additives to correct the problem, if infact there really is one.

I'm not selling my pre 2007 Ford Powerstroke anytime soon.

I agree that independent testing of the Pemex diesel would be a good idea to ease the fears of those with 2007 engines.
Running old high sulfur fuel in the new motors will cause expensive repair issues according to our people that deal with diesel powerplants.

Ken
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 12:03 PM
What year diesel?

Does anyone know what kind of fuel a '05 PSD is taking?

:cool:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Does anyone know what kind of fuel a '05 PSD is taking?

:cool:

Both LSD & ULSD.

2007 supposed to ONLY take ULSD.

My wife's :dudette:1999 PSD has 197,285 mostly trouble free miles and lots are with diesel purchased south of the border.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

I agree with Don Jorge. Based on how much different my diesel runs on Mexican diesel (as recently as last week), it doesn't seem like low sulphur diesel to me. It runs much better and quieter than on the USA ULSD. I think what Pemex says and what it does can be quite different.

I plan on keeping my Y2K F-350 for a while. Only 130k on it which is supposed to be only about 1/3 of it's life expectancy.

My Liberty is an '06, love this little Jeep plus 25 mpg and 20 gal tank.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
On a related note, also Premium fuel has also been upgraded to a Ultra Low Sulfur version, known as "Premium UBA" (Ultra Bajo Azufre).

The newest Pemex on the circle in San Felipe has the sign and pumps marked for the UBA gasoline. Nothing for the low Sulphur diesel yet.

[Edited on 6-29-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

My Liberty is an '06, love this little Jeep plus 25 mpg and 20 gal tank.

Well, as I understand it, '07 is the year that engines had to comply with the requirements of ULSD. I think you can burn both.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 11:22 AM

thats right hook...

thats why it says ONLY to burn Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel

the computer does the rest

runs fine so far...

our website is:
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 06:48 PM

Dudes!

Mexican Pemex Diesel - >500 PPM Sulfur - good stuff
US Diesel - 15 PPM Sulfur- bad stuff

Use as I do Stanadyne Performance Plus - 2004.5 GMC Duramax

2007 diesels - you are outa luck!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 05:13 AM

from baja cactus....
"For several months now, Pemex Refinacion (that is the part of Pemex that produces fuel) has been producing Low Sulfur Diesel, known in Mexico as "Pemex Diesel Bajo Azufre"."

don't you remember the shortage a few months ago when pemex was changing over to the new formula????

now...low sulfer fuel comes out of the diesel pumps

so far so good:saint:

new trucks are better than OLD trucks;D
BUY a NEW truck:lol:
enjoy life:saint:

our website is:
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 08:08 PM

This is a good discussion. Diesel fans should check out = www.thedieselstop.com and look in the forum section. ULSD has 15ppm vs old 500ppm. The new diesels being produced have "catalitic converters" in the exhaust system and higher than 15 ppm fuels will "kill" the converters. "Costly adventure". The pre 2007 diesels will have to make certain additives are used "stanadyne, etc" to make sure all the parts IE: pumps, seals, orings and the like keep their lubricity. Otherwise you may be looking a problems sooner than you think. I thought Baja also introduced the ULSD fuel earlier this year - give or take, yet some stations in the USA still offer both fuel types. IE: El Paso, Tx - Flying J's have both 500 and 15 ppms at 2 different stations.
Well ULSD or not - BAJA IS GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER. Just need daughter to get better and I'm back at the beach, kayaking, bbqing, margaritas, pacificos, and more. Aaaahhhhhhh what a life.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Johnson

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 04:49 PM
LSDF

Quote:
Originally posted by fossilnut
We just purchased a new 2007 Chevy diesel pickup which we HAD planned to use for Baja trips. But I've been hearing hints of information that the ultra low sulphur fuel which we need may not be available in Baja. Does anyone know what the truth is? Also.. if not available, what would happen if we were to use regular diesel fuel?????

Thanks.

Sandy
Johnson

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 04:52 PM

Sandy or anyone else. I have a new 2008 ford diesel. Have you gotten any info on the ULTRA LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL on the Baja. Dont put the old LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL in your 2007. Please advise me if you have any info as we were planning on pulling our 5th wheel back to the Baja this Fall. thanks Ben
Johnson

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 04:54 PM
ultra low sulfur diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
from baja cactus....
"For several months now, Pemex Refinacion (that is the part of Pemex that produces fuel) has been producing Low Sulfur Diesel, known in Mexico as "Pemex Diesel Bajo Azufre"."

don't you remember the shortage a few months ago when pemex was changing over to the new formula????

now...low sulfer fuel comes out of the diesel pumps

so far so good:saint:

new trucks are better than OLD trucks;D
BUY a NEW truck:lol:
enjoy life:saint:
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.