BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Ultra low sulphur diesel????
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 05:07 PM

if your afraid of pemex diesel burn mcdonalds oil:lol:

i hope theres no sulfer in that:lol:

just buy it ... and enjoy yourself

you can't take that truck with you:lol:

STOP worrying

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 05:34 PM

I'm extremely happy that I bought my Ford Excursion equiped with a V10! Never had a problem with fuel and hauls my 10,000 pound boat just fine.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 01:58 AM

Guys,

Thank you so much for your vote of confidence of the information I have posted here about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

Now, let me tell you something: every bit of information I have gathered and written here is the "OFFICIAL Petroleos Mexicanos data"... everything I have posted here comes personally from what Pemex officials have told me over the phone as well as from memos and official documents we have received at our gas station regarding this issue. There is nothing in what we have posted that we imagine or think should be.

Now... it is true that at BajaCactus we are not a laboratory for Sulfur Content tests, we are only passing on information... what they tell us is what you are getting. As well, if they would inform us that sulfur content is higher we would also pass that info along.

However, I do understand your high preoccupation for your vehicles, this is why I have asked and received from Pemex the guidelines for requesting a certified sulfur report on ULSD... as you may imagine, being Pemex a Government office, they like bureaucracy... and it is a ton of paperwork and filing and copies and stamping and... well, you get the picture.

They explained to me that it is a very unusual request since in Mexico diesel is mainly produced for the agricultural and marine industries, not private vehicles (remember the government subsided diesel price you get when coming to Mexico?).

Now, just a thought... if Diesel in Mexico is mainly produced for farming, marine and commercial vehicles, not tourism... why do Pemex would need to lie or misinform about ULSD?... I mean, if tourism diesel vehicles are not even close to being their main source of revenue and, since in Mexico we do not have any other choice for a diesel source... why would they need to falsify memos and official documents?... What would their purpose be?... we mexicans would have no choice if they sold us 2000 ppm diesel sulfur content.

Well... just a thought.

So, I will begin the ton of paperwork for all of you and get back to post as soon as I have some new info.

Enjoy Baja my friends... well, at least those without diesel trucks... jejeje.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 8-4-2007 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 04:39 AM

this is above and beyond..antonio...thanks

our website is:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 06:04 AM

Antonio, thank you for above and beyond the call of duty, this reinforces my already high opinion of your business acumen as well as you personal ethics and honesty.
I am a little disappointed in the others who seem to think that the problem lies with Mexico or the station owners. They sell what they have. I have known this for a long time and instead of buying a new diesel truck I have decided to stay with the old one a while longer or in other words I decided to take responsibility for those things which directly effect me instead of expecting the government of a foreign country to do that for me. Bob and Susan seem to be doing the same thing, they have a new truck and are accepting the consequences of their behavior if that leads to a problem in the future. A new truck may or may not have problems with the fuel so it seems that you either buy a used vehicle, keep the old one, or go to gas engines.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 06:42 AM

there was NO option for us...

i'm currently driving too much to take a chance on a breakdown in the desert

if i was finished and stationary then i might have waited

our website is:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
We appreciate your effort. I have a full tank of fuel from Tecates newest station I bought yesterday afternoon. I am gong to send a fuel sample to a lab in Salt Lake City and see what they come up with. Curious minds want to know.

Once again, thanks for taking your time to help us.

[Edited on 8-2-2007 by Don Jorge]

Ditto - the information will be much appreciated. And Don Jorge, I hope you post the results - I, for one, will be interested in the results. I would also be interested in the address of the lab.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 12:35 PM

whatever you do DON'T mail that stuff:fire:

our website is:
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 04:50 PM

Good Job Antonio, I'm glad I'm driving a 2003 diesel which will burn anything I throw into it. Love Baja.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 01:10 PM
Pemex oficial e-mail

My friends,

I have began the process for getting the Pemex Report for ULSD... the ping-pong game started, it just a matter of seeing through... jejeje.

In the meantime, let me mention you something, so you are not caught off guard... there has been an "Official Pemex" e-mail circulating online, where supposedly there is ULSD only in some cities of Mexico.

------------------ Here's the OFFICIAL answer ---------------------

Date: Aug 1, 2007 10:24 AM
Subject: RE: ULS Diesel

We only have ULSD fuel in this areas: Rosarito, Mexicali, Nogales y Ensenada, this information was confirmed by our west sales representation.

Regards
Guillermo Villa Montaño
Gerente de Ventas al Mayoreo
Subdirección Comercial
Pemex Refinación

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this e-mail refers not to the cities itself, but to the Pemex Distribution Depots on those cities (you can see he wrote "areas", not "cities")... the official is not mentioning this because if you understand how Pemex moves the fuel in Mexico, it is assumed you will immediately understand this.

The "West Sales Representation" mentioned in this e-mail, is our direct Pemex Supplier down here at BajaCactus.

For example, when he mentions Ensenada, he is referring to the Pemex Depot in El Sauzal (north of Ensenada)... this Distribution Center is responsible for all the Gas Stations from Ensenada all the way to Jesus Maria (north of Guerrero Negro).

Also, I believe that at this time, there are other cities besides the ones mentioned there.

Safe travels everyone...

BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 8-4-2007 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
DuramaxLMM

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 02:07 PM
Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel

Can’t wait for those lab results on the Tecate tankful, but in the meantime I can provide some more information about the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and the regeneration cycle on the new diesels.

I have a 2007.5 Silverado with the LMM diesel engine and have contacts well up in the Duramax engine department at GM.

1. Ford has a retrofit available for owners who need to run the truck in Mexico. I do not know if the cost is practical for Ford truck owners but it would be worth enquiring.

2. GM has no plans to market their new trucks in Mexico so there is no retrofit available and the owner’s manual warns that irreversible damage may be caused to the DPF if low sulfur fuel (LSF = 500 ppm) instead of ultra low sulfur fuel (ULSF =15ppm) is used.

3. The theory is that excessive amounts of sulfur compounds emitted in the exhaust gradually “poison” the DPF, causng it to clog with ash.

4. The DPF is a special ceramic filter which traps the soot, or black smoke. This soot has to be burned off, typically once per tankful, by higher exhaust gas temperatures created by injecting additional fuel on a computer controlled cycle.

5. If the backpressure in the DPF gets too high, from poisoning with sulfur, the engine goes into a special “limp mode”, with reduced power, and can only be reset by a dealer.

6. My GM contacts advise that they have tested the effects of using low sulfur fuel instead of ultra low sulfur fuel and, while they do not want to put anything in writing, they have not measured any serious problems. There is a “sulfur poisoning sensor” in the exhaust system but it has not registered a big problem in tests. This probably indicates that GM is using a newer type of DPF which has much greater resistance to sulfur poisoning.

7. Ask your local fire chief and he will tell you that new fire trucks have had DPFs for at least a decade, burning low sulfur fuel (500 ppm), for all of that time without any problems. This is a clue that the “damage” predicted by owners’ manuals for our new vehicles may be way overblown. It could well be a case of the manufacturers wanting to cover their rear ends, just in case.

Based on my research I will be taking my truck into Mexico in December, and I am confident that there will not be problems. However, I would still like to see the results of the fuel lab tests, and let’s hear from anyone who has already been in Mexico with one of the new vehicles. SOMEBODY out there must have done it already !!!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 03:17 PM

i'm in mulege
we have a new dodge

several tanks of diesel run thru the thing already and no problems...

5000 miles since june...ouch

i'm driving to la paz monday and back to the states on wed

i'll report

our website is:
Roasty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 12:49 PM
Rolling the Diesel Dice

So the BOLA Pemex stations should be included in the Ensenada "Zone" coverage then?
I will be going down to BOLA next weekend, filling up at Baja Cactus so will come and say Hello !
Thanks for the insight.
DuramaxLMM

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 08:19 AM

Just wondering, Don Jorge, if you have the lab results back yet for that sample of diesel you got in Tecate?

And Bob and Susan, you say you have a "new Dodge". Does it have the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and the "Use only Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel" labels?

If so, your experience is what I'm expecting with my Duramax based on the inside info from GM.

Thanks
Ed
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 09:58 AM

two trips to la paz this week...
24 hours plus on the engine

no problems
no warnings
nothing

6000 miles on the truck
5000 miles with pemex diesel

and yes its the "ultra low sulfur diesel" type engine
i'm just poluting the enviorment:wow:sorry everyone

our website is:
DuramaxLMM

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 10:30 AM

Thank You - that's good news
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-12-2007 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
two trips to la paz this week...
24 hours plus on the engine

no problems
no warnings
nothing

6000 miles on the truck
5000 miles with pemex diesel

and yes its the "ultra low sulfur diesel" type engine
i'm just poluting the enviorment:wow:sorry everyone

no need to apologize...........you have no choice but to burn it.

I appreciate you conducting this experiment for us, in the face of your manufacturer's recommendations. Please keep us updated on any changes to its operation or warning lights.

The occasional tourist who runs 2-3 tankfuls on his vacation will probably not do anything to the systems. But your situation should be a good experiment.

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 10:14 AM

I just got back 2700 miles in Baja, 06 Jeep Liberty diesel ran perfectly on Pemex diesel, although it was the same story at every station, you are at the wrong pump, or asked me 4 times diesel?
Roasty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 11:04 PM
Back from Trip

Took the 08 F-250 down to BOLA this weekend and no problems with the Diesel purchased.
I'm now a believer !
DuramaxLMM

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 07:30 AM

Just a reminder - this thread is really related to the NEW diesels which have Diesel Particulate Filters - these were only introduced in 2007 models.

It is great that owners of vehicles pre-2007 can be assured that the diesel is safe for their use in Mexico, but older vehicles do NOT have a DPF, so telling us that it worked fine in Mexico doesn't actually help increase the knowledge base on this thread.

The helpful observations for this particular thread will come from owners with the notice "Use only Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel" on the fuel gauge. It is great to see some postings from these owners.;)
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.