Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: We're almost there !!!
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

biggrin.gif posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:08 PM
We're almost there !!!

We started our lot purchase in March 2006 and we're just about done. It's in Buena Vista on the east cape. The lots that were for sale had to be subdivided with seperate tax numbers, recorded, etc. We are now getting ready to start the "fideo" process, we are working with a local realtor who is doing all of the work. We plan to purchase title insurance thru Stewart title. So the big question, is there anything I'm missing here??? Thanks for the input.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:22 PM

Prayers never hurt.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:39 PM

:lol::lol:
That is funny to me, but for a guy maybe thinking he is at risk.....

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:47 PM

"we are working with a local realtor who is doing all of the work. We plan to purchase title insurance thru Stewart title"
I would do some asking around...some leg work...so you are really comfortable with your Realtor doing all the work. I don't don't know more then I have read here...but there are some not to trustworthy.
Then I would Pray.....:lol:

[Edited on 6-28-2007 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:52 PM

We actually have done alot of checking around, the realtor specializes in title services etc. and we haven't heard anything negative so far.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:03 PM

The only other thing I can think of is are you sure you have all rights...Minreal...water etc. I heard Realtor was assigning them to himself:no:

Albert G

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:27 PM

Al, in Mexico those rights are retained by the Mexican government - never go to landowners.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:30 PM

Welcome to the Nomad board bajafreaks.
Good luck with the purchase. It is such a grueling process and at times I know we wondered if we were doing the right thing. IF you have done research, research , research... talked to many of the locals before you who have gone thru similiar purchases, you can really not do much more.

When it is all over and you are relaxing in your new home the experience will be worth it!!

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:56 PM

Possibly want to talk to a Nortario. Seems that a Notario ranks above
an attorney, in Mexico. Seems his role is primarily giving legal advice, but he is not allowed toactually represent a client, or advise attorneys who may be engaged to represent the client. Meet with one in Loreto who dealt primerly in realestate. Very sharp and intelligent...

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 03:17 AM

wait - i am confused here......you already bought the property but you are just now seeking title ins from Stewart??!!

that's a tad arse backwards buddy, no?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 05:45 AM

capt. mike, if he is just starting the fideicomiso process, then he doesn't OWN the land yet!:bounce: Actually he said he started the purchase PROCESS in March 2006, but it had to be subdivided, etc., etc., which is typically a long process, but having it take more than 14 months would toss a red flag out there for ME.

bajafreaks, I'd be asking what problems were encountered in that process. It's possible that the seller wasn't in any rush?? Or possibly there were/are undisclosed legal problems with the land before it could be sibdivided??? I assume the seller has his down payment, so he's in no rush for the time being...and the realtor is getting a commission, so he's basically in a conflict of interest position if he's the one who originally represented the seller in listing the property. Just food for thought.

Questions to ask: Was the land use status changes to Urbano (Urban...which means it can be built on), if so, you need copies of that paperwork & the receipt. Get copies of the official survey of the subdivision to minimize the possibility of your having to pay for another survey. An Environmental Impact Study SHOULD have been done for the subdivision, if it was, get copies of that paperwork & the receipt as well...that alone can save you about $10K(equiv USD) and up to 6 months of delay since you can't touch your property without it having been done...unless you're willing to pay a $100,000 peso fine!

I realize you're probably in the states, but try to talk with as many people who've bought in the area as possible. They'll be a wealth of information. Hang on...it can be a wild ride! But well worth it when all the dust settles!;)
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 05:49 AM

Mike, why would you buy title insurance on property you don't own yet?

Others: what kind of research would you do? How would you do a title search on your own? Who do you trust for realtor references? As to the notarios: they pretty much know how to prepare the fideo, take the cash, call the valuador, effect the sale, put your name in the big book. They've done it a thousand times -- just check around to get the best price. THIS IS NOT THE U.S. AND I'M SURE GETTING TIRED OF HEARING "do what you would do in the U.S."
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 06:02 AM

Based upon my experiences:

You'll need a FM-3 to get a fideicomiso.

You say you're almost done with the transaction but your just starting the fideicomiso process? Obtaining the fideicomiso IS buying the property. If you have forked over money and don't have a fideicomiso, hire an attorney now.

If your fideicomiso fees are in dollars make sure that annual increase in fees isn't tied to a peso inflation index. All dollars or all pesos, not a mix.

Hire an attorney now to read whatever you have signed so far and assist in the fideicomiso. Better late than never and he can represent you when dealing with the bank about the trust setup. I paid mine $500 and he did a lot of the leg work, was at all meetings with the seller, notario, and the bank. Very meticulous guy.

I asked him about title insurance and he said I'd spend all my money sueing the title insurance company (Stewert) when they didn't pay the claim. So that was his cut on title insurance. You should know the best you can the title history of the property.

I'm curious, what are the property taxes in that neck of the woods?

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 06:04 AM

While I'm at it what makes you people think buying realty in Chicago is the very same as buying it in Elephant's Breath, Montana? Giving realty advise should be left to the realtors I guess --- you could all tell the tale about how you bought your retirement home lot in Baja California and the Bajafreaks would learn little from the rainbow of differences between the transactions -- who handled them, what it cost, etc. How many of you know of innocents who bought a piece of such land, lost all the money, didn't get the land?
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 06:14 AM

One other thing, since you've bought the property, name an alternate primary beneficiary in the fideicomiso in case you buy the farm.:!:

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Giving realty advise should be left to the realtors I guess

How many of you know of innocents who bought a piece of such land, lost all the money, didn't get the land?

It's my understanding that there are no "realtors" as we know them in Mexico. No licenses, no brokers, no legal responsibility, etc. Be really suspect of Americans selling real estate in Mexico. They're the biggest thieves because other Americans trust them for some strange reason.

I met a guy one day almost in tears. He had "bought" a beach front lot south of Todos Santos. Turns out the property was in the Federal Maritime Zone and he couldn't get permits to build. The Cabo San Lucas based "real estate agent" he gave the money to was long gone.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 07:45 AM

Oldhippie----

Very true. Your assesment of the credibility factor is right-on.
What puzzles me is that there is no readily available written information on the subject of buying property in Mexico. I know that through painstaking research, it's all there but, I'm referring to a booklet of comprehensive, understandable laws, rules and steps to be taken in property purchase. A pamphlet, booklet or book, whatever it takes, should be readily available. Real estate has been changeing hands at a rapid rate and it remains a mystery mainly because the American buyer doesn't want to believe that this is Mexico and things are different.

There you go, oldcreativeone, a project for you.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 10:05 AM

Olhippie

I have a fidecomiso and no FM3. I know lots of folks in the same boat. The Notario asked for and was shown my tourist visa to satisfy his need to know I was in the country legally. Remember the notario is an agent of the Mexican judicial sytem and the fidecomiso process is part of the Mexican constitution

I talked to a mortgage broker in La Paz and one of my old contacts at First American Title about buying title insurance and he and she both advised that there were so many exceptions to the insurance that it was essentially worthless. No one in the business in Mexico , except those selling title insurance, say its worth much if anything. The fidecomiso supposedly insures the clear title, teh lack of back taxes, and with the thousands of immigrants buying property in Baja it would be a disaster to find the fidecomiso process is corrupt or delivers anything but clear title.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 10:15 AM

Capitolkat ---

You illustrate my point perfectly. Just when someone thinks they know, they don't.
There has to be, or should be a guide which reflects the law.
I've been here long enough to know that the law can be a can of worms and even the lawyers don't know but, I can't help but believe that it can be clearly presented. Mexico is a mysterious land but, this is too much.
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 10:31 AM

capitolkat

The Notario and the bank I worked with required a FM-3. Which made sense to me. I'm buying a house, I'm going to reside here, tourist visas don't cut the mustard.

Perhaps the fideicomisos obtained without one do not conform to law and therefore are invalid. You should look into it. Could be future problems. Like my mother used to say: "Just because other people jump over Niagara Falls doesn't mean you should." - She was from that area.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.