Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Inspector checking fishing permits in Asuncion
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 12:32 PM

Code:
and said they had been fishing all over baja for many years with lot of reputable companies and NEVER asked for a permit.

Not sure, but thought I read somewhere that in the past when one went out fishing on a charter in Baja, that the boat fishing license covered everyone. ?????

I know that is not the case now---just curious.

[Edited on 6-30-2007 by jdtrotter]

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Shari, the last few visiting fishermen coming to our area to fish, at my suggestion, contacted Vagabundos, got all the necessary permits, did not have to buy a membership in the club. All handled with phone/fax/credit cards, simple and fast.

I had heard something about license without membership...was not sure though...I have purchased insurance and permits for friends who were not members.
My question is how did they delivery...they can send a printable "PDF" by email for insurance....I thought the Fishing permit was a Official document that should not be reproduced. Guess I should have Vags before writing this...looking at the document I could... reproduce it from PDF on the spot.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 12:50 PM

I have always had an annual Mexican fishing license for the last 30 years
It is a better value than a California license as the Mexican license
"year" starts the day you buy it and ends a true year later. In California
if you buy your license in November, you pay full price and it is expired in
December that same year. I have never been asked for my license south of
Ensenada. Could not purchase one for a friend to save my own life in La Paz or Loreto (circa 1999) Get laughed at by pangueros and Marlin skippers everytime I ask if they are checking for them.
Only until very recently in Loreto did I here from one panguero that it was good that I had one as the government there was getting stricter with collecting taxes for property and fees for fishing from the locals.
The most likely spot for checking of licenses was in Ensenada where I have seen the inspectors checking on occasion. It seemed to be a big game at the landing however as they had started charging for 1 day licenses as part of the fare and they would not pass them out for you to fill out usless they knew of an inspection.
They apparently would radio ahead or get a call as to if someone was there to inspect. The date had always been a simple black ink rubber date stamp back then. No inspection , none filled out. sell the SAME licenses again to the next load.
Been asked once while surf fishing, which does not require a
license. Someone obviously looking for cash. Rather than quote the law I
simply produced both my Mexican and California fishing license and asked
which he prefered. He walked away rather surprised and crestfallen.
If you bothered to find out where on the map Asuncion is and planned to go fishing, you should have as part of your plan purchased a license.
I sure those folks didn't forget to buy bait or beer.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 01:54 PM

Vagabundos (I'm not a member) buys blocks of licenses from Mexico -- some years back when Mexico ran out, the Vags still had em. They mail em or fax em triple quick. Boat permits too. I did it that ways several years until our local delagacion got em. The resorts around here say they buy blocks from La Paz but don't give the guests license evidence, just charge them to the room.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 02:38 PM

I have seen US Customs officials ask for Mexican licenses when travelers brought coolers of fish fillets back. But they let them through with only a warning when they said thay had no license. It IS a requirement when bringing back fish, unless you have a bill of sale.

In Baja Sur, license money does not go to Mexico City, but stays in the state for a fund to enforce laws and protect fisheries. Ironically, I believe that fund is financing opposition to the Shark Norma.

Everyone who fishes here should obtain a fishing license. And that does not mean taking some all-inclusive resort's word for it: if they say license included, you don't get on the boat without one.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 02:39 PM

I get mine in advance every year. What's the big deal ?
I have always been asked for my permit when I go on charters unless it is included in the charter. You still have to fill out the form, etc.

I had mine in my pocket when I went out with Juan this winter.
It did get a little wet after my graceful face-plant in the break while trying to look cool helping beach the boat !! :biggrin:

You should probably remind those that call to arrange fishing tours to get their permits before they come. Some folks need more help than others....

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

I had mine in my pocket when I went out with Juan this winter.
It did get a little wet after my graceful face-plant in the break while trying to look cool helping beach the boat !! :biggrin:

No pictures of that??? Too bad. :spingrin::spingrin:

Diane

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 02:58 PM

Castro's Camp (Ej. Erendira/ Pta. San Isidro) used to include the license when my dad and I fished on their pangas... back in the 80's...

An annual license would be the ticket for sure... just like us getting annual auto insurance policies... if you go to Baja to fish.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 03:06 PM

Yes, it IS a hassle to get and SD tackle shops are probably the best places. One more time, I'll trot out this old story from the Amigos board for any newbies who haven't seen it yet.

The SEMARNAP Samba
By Oso
First online 7/13/99 www.bajanet.com

"Forget San Diego", said Nigel, "you can get your tourist card and fishing license in Ensenada." Well, Nigel should know, I thought. He's lived in Ensenada off & on for years. It was only halfway through the dance lesson that I realized one crucial detail; Nigel doesn't fish. He'd never actually done the SEMARNAP Samba.

It began with the surly, suspicious slob at Migracion (which, of course, is on the wrong side of the street, going north back to the border, with exactly one available parking space). Where do I get a fishing license? I asked in English, not wanting to let the migra know that I spoke Spanish. Maybe you get from boat captain, he said, waving me out the door. Well no, actually I plan to surf fish mostly, I said. [At the time I didn't know a license was not required to fish from shore.] "Maybe you go Anthony's Bar. Maybe round there." He said, his body language indicating that maybe I go and do something vaguely immoral and physically impossible to myself, further assistance being clearly beyond his responsibility or inclination.

Well, Anthony's Bar (the one with the gorilla) is sort of near where the guidebooks [circa 1999] say the Secretaria de Pesca may be found. Only it isn't there anymore and it isn't the Secretaria de Pesca anymore. It's the Secretaria de Medio Ambiente, Recursos Naturales y Pesca (SEMARNAP), and it's on the second floor of a small commercial building at the corner of Ave. Guadalupe and Calle Segunda (second street). Only you won't find any street signs saying Calle Segunda. If you find any street signs at all [rare], they will say Cabrillo. Despite both guidebooks and local maps showing 1st, 2nd, 3rd streets, those are not their official names and they are not marked as such. Ave. Lopez Mateos is "understood" to be AKA 1st St. and so on.

Once there (2 hrs later), and feeling safe enough to use my reasonably fluent Spanish, I found the young lady in charge of sporting licenses and was shown a chart with prices for 1 day, one week, etc. As the price was the same for one month as it was for 2 weeks, I chose the former.

"Do you have the forms?" She asked. "Im supposed to bring the forms? You don't have them here?" I naively asked. "You will have to get them at Hacienda," she said, referring to another bureaucracy, the Secretaria de Hacienda. "It's just around the corner," she added helpfully, handing me a slip of paper denoting two copies of form number 5. I walked around a rather long block searching for an elusive governmental monolith. What I found was a small storefront selling children's notebooks, school supplies and yes, government forms.

"Only two copies?" asked the pleasant matron behind the counter, "They usually want three." I was not about to argue and since the cost per form was only a few cents, would have bought dozens, if necessary. Returning to SEMARNAP, I presented the forms and relayed the store clerk's opinion that three copies might be required. "Is it three?" the young lady asked a co-worker. "Yes, I think so." I waited for the forms to be typed up in triplicate, glad that I had not tried to save 50 centavos and been sent back for another. When she returned to the counter, I reached for my wallet. "Oh, you don't pay here." She said. "You have to go to BANAMEX."

"Excuse me, Miss, you sell fishing licenses here but you don't have the forms and you don't accept the payment?"I asked, incredulously. "That's correct." - "So now I have to go to the bank?"- "And then come back here.", she explained with a smile.

In my usual gringo mode, I would have been steaming by now. But, once I got off the nightmarish San Diego Freeway and across the border, I had determined to let nothing upset me. I needed to change some currency anyway, so almost amused now I went off to BANAMEX, some several blocks away, took a number, paid 166 pesos and returned to SEMARNAP with a receipt, where I waited for the Srta. to get the Liciensado in charge to sign off on the forms and present me with my license.

"Thank you!" I said, "and do you have any brochures with the regulations, limits and such?" "They're on the back of your license.", she said. And so they are, in microscopic print.

Being a guest in another sovereign state, it was definitely not my place to make comments regarding efficiency. As I reflected on the process, it occurred to me that all of this might have a purpose. What, you may ask? Well Mexican Gov't employees don't make very much money and since no one had even hinted at a mordida, there are probably few perks either (in this particular branch). One perk might perhaps be a bit of amusement to lighten the day. What fun it must be to teach dumbfounded gringos to dance in circles. What expressions on their faces! And the short ones in Hawaiian shirts, how red they get! The whole process had taken about 4 hours and with the right attitude, had been an adventure in itself.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 03:12 PM

Wonderful story Oso... many thanks !!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 06:26 PM

The same still exist in Ensenada as I found out for my Tourist visa...things are closer together, but the same...Progress???:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 06:51 PM

Same process for that auto sticker and fishing lic. One window, then another and fortunately for us now, a bank annex in the same building.

I outlined this process on another site for owners of the motor home that we have. I encouraged them to purchase a copy of There Is A Word For It In Mexico to read while standing in line. This book was recommended by another Nomad, remind me who you are please, who was kind enough to share it with us under the subject Cultural Differances, Ain't They Interesting.

I further admonished them to pick it up every time they engaged in some sort of beuroctatic proceedure and to see if they could identify which sort of transaction was occuring. Is this a chinga, or just a macho face saving behavior? Is this system set up to avoid anyone person being responsible for anything? Is this system designed to avoid anyone holding cash? Is this an example of hereditary positions that are not service positions as we understand them but honorary positions that one obtains and then holds onto by not making any mistakes? Sort of like being named the chairman of a board that never meets or meets once a year at a golf course? This reading is of course a great form of distraction. This reading also has the virtue of saving you the time and energy of sorting out how this beurocracy could operate efficiently. It also saves you the embarassment of responding like most of your fellow gringos by providing the much needed and heeded advice about how to streamline this whole whack a mole game.

Thanks for the great story Oso. By the way, I appreciate your posts.

Iflyfish
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
A sad day for all as we had to cancel a fishing trip because our clients didn't get their permits. We warned em! We have a very nice inspector here who actually upholds the law!! and in a nice way...es muy buena onda...but sorry guys..no permit..no fishy. these guys were really peeed too and said they had been fishing all over baja for many years with lot of reputable companies and NEVER asked for a permit. It's like they hinted they'd never come back HERE...like we were the guilty party for asking if they had their permits. We had a long conversation with the inspector and he explained that many folks think that out here in the boonies they don't need permits but it's the oposite..this part of the coast is the best guarded with the coops really strict protecting thier product which is why we still have a lot of product here and they don't in other areas where they allow poaching, not to mention it being a biosphere reserve here as well. There is a lot to protect which is why they are stricter here. So things are changing here...getting better organized so you can no longer just get some fisherman to take you out for a few beers. The pangas belonging to the cooperatives cannot take you out as they are licensed for commercial fishing and the inspector WILL bust them and you...I mentioned that it is a bit difficult and we don't want to get a bad reputation for being the only company who checks fishing licenses which may affect our business...but we will not risk getting our permits revoked and panga confiscated either. So my question is....how many of you are asked if you have a personal fishing license when you charter a boat or guide to take you fishing??? I'm really curious. Pam...any thoughts on this or care to share your expertise??

Shari,

please excuse me as my main PC died day before yesterday after a series of ongoing problems since Hurricane John (cooincidence but true), so I decided to do a complete change and buy Mac systems for home and business. awaiting delivery on them should be next week.

please U2U me and i'll give some sound advice that you'll understand but others may not so let's not drag it out here. one thing to keep in mind is that if it is impossible to purchase permits after making every effort your husband can still work but need to be very firm. remember it is not our fault as workers who depend on our source of income and to provide service when we can't in fact comply to impossible regulations. it is the fault of the officials who have stolen for many years that we have to prepay for licenses and jump through these hoops, remind officials of that when they check. get ID numbers and names and report them to La Paz, they cannot take away your husbands "fuente de poder" to make a living to feed his family. I think you know what that means.

I wanna come visit in the fall but don't worry I bought my license on the conapesca website and have all notes, papers proving my payment but that website is codd incorrectly and it is impossible to print it up! so what the heck I just now fish with a file full of papers and say have fun reading and figuring this out!

good luck, the things we put up with for great fishing!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Many tackle shops in Southern California sell Mexican permits. They are also available through the mail from Vagabundos and the Conapesca office in San Diego.

They are available on a web site, but the site does not accept credit cards or Paypal. It's apparently set up to allow a buiness to get licenses for clients with transfers from their bank accounts. It's unwieldy and needs work. But if Shari has a Mexican bank account she might be able to get licenses for her guests and print them out on the spot:

http://pesca.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/pagoelectronico/ayudad...

You can buy them in Loreto, but the office closes early and is not open on weekends so many visitors who arrive without licenses fish without them.

I've been checked at the Loreto Marina and out near the islands. Shari, send those folks here, they can fish and maybe THEN get busted.

Certainly they could do a better job of making licenses available here. But on the other hand people come with several rods and reels, big tackle boxes, special fishing clothing, big wheeled coolers-everything they need to catch fish and bring them back. But they couldn't bring a license?:rolleyes:

conapesca's website accepts credit cards and you can even make a payment from Bank of America but try to figure it out. I don't trust my cc info going to conapesca and don't wanna mix my BofA account with business.

Currently you CANNOT buy licenses in town you must use the website. You can print out the forms and pay at the bank (who the hell wants to waste all day in that line?) or you can pay with an electronic transfer via a Mexican bank. Keep in miond with BBVA Bancomer it costs $180 pesos plus IVA to maintain that ability to make e-transfers each month.

I have this ability in my personal and business accounts here. once conapesca fixes the problems with its website I will be able to buy them 24 hours a day 7 days a week, look forward to it. But as it standa now, I can pay for them but they won't print out. I told PESCA and PROFEPA that there ain't no way I'm gonna pay for licenses I cvan't print out, I refuse to lose money on something that's their fault and I refuls to charge clients for something they don't receive.

one more thing when I think of it. I never turn down spontaneous trips as why the hell should I lose work or a panguero lose work because theyu can only sell licenses monday through friday from 9am to 2:30 pm? their fault not mine. I will fight and they will listen, that's how I am i fully understand my rights but I also have a track record of providing licenses adn marine park tickets to all my clients, even keep backup copies on file just in case, thay can't touch me man we work when there's work, over and out~
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:43 PM

Don and I went into the office at the marina in Loreto and bought a license for our boat and my fishing license on Tuesday June 26 with no difficulty. Rosalia typed up the forms and we took them to the office on Juarez to pay the fees, then back to the marina office-- all completed in less than half an hour.

Maybe the problem is in buying a batchof licenses for a business:?:

Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:57 PM

I have never been asked for a lic. in Mex.

I have always assumed that when fishing on a panga that it was included.

Once I started bringing my own boats I always had my lic and boat permits.

Still I have never been checked.

Just lucky I guess.
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 05:39 AM
problem

this has recently become a problem in mulege also since bruce does not do them anymore. we have two tournaments here ayear yet you cannot get any of the required paperwork here to comply with mexican law. you can get a boat permit in santa rosalia if you have a temporary import on the boat, where do you get those ? la paz is the closest place. the powers to be make it very hard to comply with the law. its kinda like "a day at the races", and hopefully soon ,at the least fishing licences will be made available in mulege.

window.gif - 7kB

Want what you have
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 06:51 AM

here is the source for fishing licenses and temporary boat permits:light:

http://www.santarosaliacasitas.com/angel/index.htm

Angel (pronounced AnnHill) worked for the Social Security Dept and teaches english at the new university in Santa Rosalia

you can get a temporary import permit and fishing license in santa rosalia

angel.jpg - 12kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 09:18 AM

Which came first: paying for and receiving government services........

........or the Mexican Hat Dance?

tuna stick
Junior Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 7-1-2007 at 10:00 AM

We went to the office at the marina on the 22nd. The clerk said we could pay there. Took all of five minues!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.