Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: race lights and problems
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 04:37 PM
race lights and problems

I have a XR 650r with a 200+ watt stator from Ricky Stator, which I run their dual 100wt piaa race lights. I also installed the heavy duty voltage regulator.
I took the race lights off last year after a night race and used the stock light a few times since. I'm ready to do some night riding so I install the race lights , but they don't come on. I lift up the seat and find some broken wires and they look burned as well. I also, notice the rubber protectors on the connections have some burned spots. I cut off some bad wire and hold the splice together and I have lights. I put on some connectors and use some heat shrink tubing and electrical tape to cover the connections. I start up the bike and everything is working great. I pack all the wires into the rubber wire housing and put the seat back on.
Last night, I'm prerunning (Laguna Salada) and my lights go out after about 45 minutes of riding.Today I took off the seat and looked at the wires, and found them(light wires) melted with a lot of bare wire showing. I separated the wires so they were not touching each other and start the bike. I have lights again and I hold the connectors to the voltage regulator and they are hot, very hot and I have to drop them. I see a wire starting to smoke as well.
I take out all the fried wires and think I will put in some new wires and see what happens.
When I check the volts coming out of the 2 green wires from the stator there is no juice. My bike starts fine and runs fine there is just no juice in the light wires.
Sorry, for the long drama, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. A couple questions I have.

If the voltage regulator went out, would it send more juice through the wires, enough to cause them to melt and expose bare wire, thus causing the shorts ?

Could the shorts from the lighting wires damage the stator ?

Of course Ricky Stator is closed on the weekends so I thought I could do some trouble shooting before Monday.
Thank you so much,
Paul
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 04:52 PM

No help on your questions. It's too late for me to get any small 4X2" HIDs for you - 2 with total draw of 70W - but if you want I can bring up a couple 6" ones if you can use them. I'll be up sometime next week heading east but would be happy to bring them if you can use them.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 05:01 PM

Lou, do you have an 8 inch HID ? How many watts do they pull. I could probably go back to my stock stator. I would have to have someone fab me a frame to mount it to my bike though. This could be a good way to go. Are the HID's (light beam) adjustable ?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 05:11 PM

Paul - I have 1 9" spot and 2 each 6" spot and flood. They aren't adjustable so best is one flood and one spot. They draw 35W each but put out more light than the 100W halogens.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 09:20 AM

Paul it sounds like the regulator is shorting out. If you have a voltmeter check the voltage at the headlight. It should be 12-14volts at 3000 rpm. Another thing to look at is the wiring size. I know you've raced with the lights at night before and it would seem OK but at 12-14 volts your pulling around 15+ amps on the lighting circuit. You may need to go to a larger wire size. If the burnt wiring is at the connectors make sure the connector spades are crimped good (plenty of bare wire to metal) and use a conductive grease on them when connecting them.

Also check your stator for any discoloration or burnt signs. Chances are the stator is OK. Ricky could give you an ohmmeter reading on what a good one should read.

One more thing, disconnect the regulator connectors and check for continuity between the green wire terminal and body ground,it should be near 0 ohms. if it's abnormal look for an open circuit in wire harness.

[Edited on 7-1-2007 by TW]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.