BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Malarrimo Summer 2004....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 09:09 AM
Malarrimo Summer 2004....

The long road to Malarrimo begins around a campfire....

What: loop trip around Vizcaino Desert...Abreojos, Bahia Asuncion, Bahia Tortugas, Punta Eugenia,side trip to Malarrimo Beach...

When: Late June,July ,August, early September 2004...

Needed: 4 wheel drive for the beach run...2 wheel drive for the rest of the trip...

trip open to all ideas as to route and times...what do you say?...

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 09:38 AM

Is it possible to do this on a three day weekend (more could make it)??
July 4th weekend or Labor day weekend.
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 02:09 PM

I don't think surfer jim could do a quick trip .... If it is breaking on ISLA NATIVIDAD which is 5 miles off PUNTA EUGENIA .... he is going to want to stay for a couple more days.:bounce:
I wanna go .....
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 03:06 PM

I've been thinking about a loop around the Vizcaino Penninsula as a summer motorcycle ride, I'll watch for more info from you and perhaps meet up.
KurtG
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 03:41 PM
Intresting

So how long a trip ( TIME WISE ) are you talking. Stuff like drive time down, loop time. Just general frames. My last Baja trip was May 2003, and I got ants in da pants to go again. My surfin knots are rising, and my board is losen wax.:cool:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 04:10 PM

It is amazing what Surfer Jim can do in two days, much less three. I'm just wondering if it is possible, even if he can stay longer, some of the others may not have more than that for time off. Just a suggestion and wondering timewise how it could work. I figure it's about 450 miles to Guerrero Negro from TJ and another 40-50 miles to the Vizcaino turnoff. We could leave Friday around noon or 1pm and make it non-stop to Catavina, camp overnight, and then on south Saturday morning. I'm just not too sure how long the loop to Bahia Torgugas and back would take. But if you had all Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday and then leave Monday morning, maybe it's possible.
Now, I'm gonna sit back and wait and see what everyone says. Bob H :)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 04:48 PM

This would have to be a one weeker... centered around July 4th. It is 1 1/2 days to get to Abreojos... Then I would like to see the beaches from there north to Tortugas (eating lobster along the way). Malarrimo would be 3 days alone, I would think... a day in, a day there, and a day out. I know, I know... SO MUCH BAJA... SO LITTLE TIME!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 07:13 PM
always thinking of getting out of the phx

inferno towards pacific during summer. Tortugas bahia and abreojos sounds pretty good, maybe rene's cabins at bahia las ballenas...
i'd be up for a hop over to isla natividad but ya gotta use the boards over there as i can't haul any. keep it posted a three dayer 's all i need.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 08:15 PM
Well Then

I could schedule June 30th thru July 5th. Might even be able to add the 6th and 7th.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 08:49 PM

Maybe 'M' can have a BBBB (Boojum Buddies Baja Bash) on Malarrimo Beach? Plenty of drift wood for a bond fire, I hear! Tins of sea rations, bottles of Scotch, and other flotsam to comb through. Heck, what am I saying... lobster (if in season) or abalone should be available at nearby fish camps. Yummm!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 2-24-2004 at 09:27 PM

Lobster is only "in season" from Sept to March. Of course in that area there is probably always some for local consumption.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 07:32 AM

you need to take at least a week to do this trip and that doesn't include drive down time or return. as DK said the drive into malarrimo will take 3 days round trip(with time to explore) and the road to turtle bay can be heavy washboard. heavy wet fog in the mournings clearing to windy conditions in the afternoon wich usually blows till midnight. good surf on the coast below turtle bay and excellent fishing and claming. :coolup:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 08:35 AM

OK, that's it. I just need to activate my retirement - a.s.a.p.... yes! :lol:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 09:42 AM

For myself I will take a week off...haven't been there in 20+ years so more time needed...plan to surf at Abreojos also...and fly with Capt. Mike if available...if not Navidad maybe just a sightseeing tour?....no cigars allowed:biggrin:....the run into Mal Beach could either be a "day" trip leaving early and return late...(long summer days)...or an overnighter....either way works for me...anyone got current driving info for this portion?...

I think the best bet may be to pick a starting location (Abreojos?) to meet and start from there...and plan a beach run time...then anyone can come and join either portion of the trip as time allows....

For anyone reading these posts who may be thinking of joining us ....all are welcome to join for all or any part of this adventure...most of us have only met once or twice so this new to us too...come and join the safety of remote travel with others and see Baja at its best....

[Edited on 2-25-2004 by surfer jim]

[Edited on 2-25-2004 by surfer jim]
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 12:21 PM

Jim- sounds like a fun trip! would love to go.i have five weeks off starting july 15.
Matt
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 01:22 PM
Malarrimo

I agree ... too much driving for 3 days. LONGOSTA is out for this trip. VIZCAINO to TORTUGAS takes 2 hours depending how often the last half of the road gets graded. If we got to TORTUGAS in JUNE ... SENOVIO (AB diver and inspector for COOP) could gather some ... fresh ... ABALON before the season ends.

From TORTUGAS to MALARRIMO takes maybe 3 hours ... 4 or 5 if you want to stop and look.

TOMAS ARCE VILLAVICENCIO can take surfers to ISLA NATIVIDAD from PUNTA EUGENIA by panga for 200 PESOS each way.

:wow::bounce::o
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2004 at 07:16 PM

CRISTABOL, to help us make a rough itinerary, what are the driving times from:

Vizcaino Jcn. south to Pta. Abreojos,

Pta. Abreojos to Bahia Tortugas,

Bahia Tortugas to Malarrimo,

Malarrimo back to Vizcaino Jcn./Hwy.1...

Approx. time for an SUV/ truck, with experienced Baja drivers.

How much time/days to enjoy seeing what looks like huge sandy beaches between Abreojos and Asuncion? I know we would probably like to stay a week at each stop... But, to wet our whistle for future trips...

Thank you amigo!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 01:47 PM

Isla Natividad

July 1996 a surf buddy saw an ad in mag for Baja Air Ventures plane trip to the island. He signed us up and when we showed up at airport I had my shortboard,a 10'1" single fin SouthCoast speed shape with me and Kevin said "You can't bring that,it's too big!" I said "Oh well, no one told me that, I guess you can give me my $695.00 back?"

The board ended up fitting nicely between the seats with the nose between me and the pilot.

The trip was great and we even flew down to Abreojos one morning and surfed there.

We ended up camping/surfing/kayaking/fishing at Abreojos later that September and every summer after until this last summer.

Big Fun!!!
:biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 02:37 PM
MALARRIMO

VIZCAINO JUNCTION to PUNTA ABREOJOS: ... 1 hour 40 mins.

PUNTA ABREOJOS to BAHIA TORTUGAS: ... 2 hours 45 mins.

TORTUGAS to MALARRIMO: ... The first half of this 35 mile drive is graded every couple of weeks by the COOP. It is usually in good condition. Experienced drivers ... under 45 mins. But then we are going to probably stop at the two fish camps at mile 14 and 18 along the way( MALARRIMO and EL QUEEN ). Better to stop and buy some of the "FRESH CATCH of the DAY" ...... yes ..???
Second half is a split of soft sand and hard pack along the beach with many side trips. .... 2+ hours.

MALARRIMO beach back to VIZCAINO jcn/ hwy 1: ..... 3 hours + 2 hours

APPROX. time SUV/TRUCK w/ experienced BAJA driver: .... now that is tricky ..... 10 guys would have 10 different answers.

how much time/days to enjoy seeing huge sandy beaches between ABREOJOS to ASUNCION: .... another tricky one ... I counted up at least 15 fish camps from ABREOJOS north to TORTUGAS, PUNTA EUGENIA and east to EL QUEEN. Each one is unique in its location along with its friendly people. I could spend a half a day in each one .... but that is me.

A week would be comfortable for the trip .... longer would be better.

The PANGA trip to NATIVIDAD is 200 PESOS per person not per boat. The same price if you want to come back.:lol:

:yes::bounce::yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.